Starting Today - First time on Whole30, grain-free, dairy-free, legume-free

Caragem

I am starting today for my first Whole 30. In the past I have modified my diet to be:

1) high quality protein

2) healthy fat (defined exactly as the Whole 30 program)

3) healthy carb 

at each meal. 

The above is all familiar and I can handle. 

The new stuff freaks me out. I must cut out sugar but I always used a little honey in my yogurt.

I have never tried dairy free. I don't drink milk but am used to full-fat, organic, free-range cow milk yogurt AND I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cheese. 

I have never been able to go gluten free before much less grain free. The idea of not having even whole grain brown/wild rice is very scary.

I am excited and terrified.

But, I am over 50, 20 pounds overweight and have a large gut with most of the fat on the inside - you know, the unhealthy body fat. So it is time to get my act cleaned up and I am committed to the next 30 days.

I know from past experience that this next week is going to be a challenge.

It can be scary for some to change things. When you start to feel overwhelmed with the changes, just remind yourself that it's 30 days. Or break it down in to each day. Today, you are doing this. Repeat tomorrow.

When you think about how much you love (insert food here), think how much more you could love feeling more energetic, sleeping bettter and waking refreshed, or your clothes feeling good on your body, or treating yourself to new clothes that make you feel even better.

Really follow the meal templates.

Try ricing cauliflower, it's an awesome transition away from rice and grains for many food dishes. You just rough chop cauliflower and pop it into a food processor on a pulse chop til it's about the size of rice grains. I highly recommend toasting the riced cauliflower in the oven. Then spoon just about anything over it (adapted paleo swedish meatballs in mushroom gravy, jambalaya, beef stew).

Experiment with guacamole for the creamy mouth-factor that dairy can provide. I love a big W30 taco salad with a big dollop of guacamole. I also put guac onto my chili.

You can do this :)

Thanks ginsinot. I will try the riced cauliflower and toasting it. I had not heard of toasting it before. Sounds like a great option! I am planning to eat lots of guacamole. Unfortunately - getting them ripe at staggered times is hard in the mid-west. it seems a shipment of avacados come in and they are hard as a rock, all get ripe on one day, and turn to mush the next. So when you can get ripe ones, they all are ripe at the same time (even from different stores.)

• Moderators

Thanks ginsinot. I will try the riced cauliflower and toasting it. I had not heard of toasting it before. Sounds like a great option! I am planning to eat lots of guacamole. Unfortunately - getting them ripe at staggered times is hard in the mid-west. it seems a shipment of avacados come in and they are hard as a rock, all get ripe on one day, and turn to mush the next. So when you can get ripe ones, they all are ripe at the same time (even from different stores.)

I have that problem with avocado too, and while I'd rather buy whole ones and make my own guacamole, there's a brand called wholly guacamole that has some w30 compliant varieties that are pretty good. They even make one called wholly avocado that's nothing but avo and maybe something to keep it from turning brown, although that's harder to find than the premade guac. They're nice to have on hand.

Guest sareemaree

Once your avocado is ripe, put it in the refrigerator. It will stop ripening and will stay good for at least another three to five days. 

Archived