Whole30 - Day 1

Whole30 Beginner

This is my first official, serious start at the Whole30.  Day 1.  I have played with it in the past but never done it seriously.  So my question is, the Kerrygold butter, is it Whole30 approved?  And what constitutes compliant coconut milk?  The commercially processed stuff always has all kinds of stuff in it that I wouldnt know if my life depended on it and the canned stuff has like 1000 calories and 2000 grams of fat.  So just curious.  I want coffee and I'm not a huge fan of black. Thanks!!

• Moderators

Have you read the rules, the Can I Have list, and the meal template? Those are the three basics that will get you started on the right foot.

Compliant coconut milk will only contain things that are allowed by the rules of the program -- I've heard that there's one in a carton in the refrigerated section that's okay, but I'm not sure which one. I buy the canned stuff -- there's a few brands that contain only coconut and water, and others that contain coconut, water, and guar gum -- either of those lists of ingredients would be okay. 

There will be a lot of fat in coconut milk -- coconut in any form is a fat source on W30. You don't really need to worry about the number of grams of fat or the number of calories, just go by what the meal template says.

Butter is dairy. Dairy is not allowed. Now, if you take the Kerrygold butter and make ghee or clarified butter out of it, and get rid of all the milk solids, leaving only the fat, then it is okay.

If you have questions about other foods that aren't addressed in any of the links above, the best way to see if it's been answered before is to google Whole30 and whatever you're looking for -- it works better than the search button here within the forum.

Thanks!  So just use the canned stuff.  Got it. 

Now i have another question.  My post-workout meal, I am going to have a post recovery protein from SFH, I have 1/2 of a sweet potato as well, so I should do both right after my workout?

Tell me more about this post recovery protein...the idea of the post workout is to get lean protein in straight off and starchy vegetables are optional (my body enjoys them). Egg whites, tinned tuna, and chicken breast are popular protein sources post workout. 

Tell me more about this post recovery protein...the idea of the post workout is to get lean protein in straight off and starchy vegetables are optional (my body enjoys them). Egg whites, tinned tuna, and chicken breast are popular protein sources post workout. 

The Recovery protein powder is made by SFH which is listed in the "Whole 30 Approved" section so I assumed it was ok.  Is it not? 

Contains milk.  Sorry, no.

When there is any prefix in front of the word protein, it is an isolate that uses one of the 40 marketing names that hide MSG.  MSG is a neural excitotoxin that generally messes with your appetite by killing off receptor cells in your hypothalamus.

Actual food is hugely preferable to liquid food, even PWO.

Contains milk.  Sorry, no.

When there is any prefix in front of the word protein, it is an isolate that uses one of the 40 marketing names that hide MSG.  MSG is a neural excitotoxin that generally messes with your appetite by killing off receptor cells in your hypothalamus.

Actual food is hugely preferable to liquid food, even PWO.

Ugh.  So frustrated.  Thanks.

SFH fish oil is on the approved list, no whey protein on Whole30...if you want to try it post Whole30 that is up to you. 

Got it.  I was just confused I guess by what it was saying on the Whole 30 Approved list.  I took it as saying all SFH was approved.  This first week is a major adjustment period to figuring everything out.  Thanks so much for the input. 

Got it.  I was just confused I guess by what it was saying on the Whole 30 Approved list.  I took it as saying all SFH was approved.  This first week is a major adjustment period to figuring everything out.  Thanks so much for the input. 

It totally is but you can get it. The biggest thing to remember is to memorize the rules and read every label, even things you have bought before. It becomes 2nd nature after a while though I will admit that even a year into this lifestyle I still had to return a jar of organic chopped garlic because I neglected to look at the ingredients and it had soybean oil in it. *sigh*

It totally is but you can get it. The biggest thing to remember is to memorize the rules and read every label, even things you have bought before. It becomes 2nd nature after a while though I will admit that even a year into this lifestyle I still had to return a jar of organic chopped garlic because I neglected to look at the ingredients and it had soybean oil in it. *sigh*

Well that makes me feel better!  :P If I can get through this first week, I think I'll be ok!

Archived