Let's be honest: You can't eat out on Whole30

vacafrita

• Administrators

To add to the non confrontational part, I am totally with you, Maureen, on not going out that day. As a generally introverted person, it can sometimes take a LOT of physical energy for me to talk to people. If I'm not feeling fully charged and alert and balanced, I will absolutely not go to a new restaurant because I simply don't have it in me to ask the questions. On those days I'd rather eat dog hair and dryer lint than try to find the ability to talk to strangers. ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going out tomorrow for the first time (Day 37) and I'm so stressed. It's an organic bistro with plenty of vegan, vegetarian and free range meat options, but I'm still SO paranoid they will have hidden sugar in a marinade or butter on something. Truth is, I may well get dosed tomorrow with something I don't want, but I can't hide in the house for forever, can I? I'll try to call them in advance so I can question them anonymously and know what I'm eating when I show up. lol. 

I'm about to travel to TX for a week. I'm going to make the best choices I can. I'll be 41 days in when we arrive. I'm bringing Lara bars and nuts with me

I plan to snag some fruit from the breakfast buffet. I should probably grab some jerky. And I'll make the best choices I can when out. I am going to allow myself one ice cream at Lick.

I'll be 41 days in when we arrive

At a certain point, it is good and healthy to stop doing the whole30 and start making your own choices. That's what you are doing when you decide on day 41 to have an ice cream. You might want to consider doing the reintro protocol before this, though, so you can understand the consequences of your choices---or be certain that ice cream is the only new thing you introduce, so that can serve as your test.

This thread fascinates me, but I think there's a lot of needless disagreement because we're talking about three distinct versions of dining out:

1. I'm stranded out in the world and need to sustain my existence for five more hours

2. There's a social event I want/need to attend for unrelated reasons, but it happens to involve food

3. I, personally, am feeling fancy and want to treat myself to a nice meal.

I suspect the OP was talking about the third option, and I agree.  My birthday was this week and I asked my bf if we could just not do anything.  I'm very non-confrontational and the idea of spending my birthday dinner asking about oils and sweeteners just ruined it for me.

Most of the advice here is good for the first two situations.  And I, for one, now have a mental image of a woman eating pine cones and dirt, shaking her head reproachfully at me when I'm too timid to ask a server what's in the vinaigrette.

:D  :lol:  Love it, Maureen.  I wouldn't shake my head but I'd speak up and ask for you....if I knew the manager and was certain that no one in the back would throw it on the floor a few times and then put it back on our plates.   If I didn't know anyone in the kitchen, I would eat pinecones and dirt.   It gets really touchy back there if toes are stepped on.  It's hot and they're under pressure, their feet are tired from standing.  Eewweeee, I know to tread lightly when sending food back to the kitchen.  I won't do it.   I know what goes on.  No one in my family sends food back to the kitchen.   Maureen, I'd rather order condiments than offend them.  ;) 

• 1 month later...

My first time eating out was completely nerve-wracking. We were a large group of somewhat tipsy (except for me) tired, hungry women doing a wine-tasting/bachelorette thing. The place the bride to be chose looked to have good options but even though I was very clear with the waitress, I had to send my first plate back. I had asked they sub dry-grill shrimp for shrimp scampi on their surf and turf, no mashed potatoes & extra veg, steamed please. I got the 1st plate and it was exactly how it was described on the menu - they hadn't made a single change I had requested!  The second time it came out, the shrimp were grilled, but the potatoes were still there. Oh well - I ate around those. I got enough food and it was fine.

Last night was my 2nd attempt to eat out and I was dreading it. I was on day 25 and didn't want to mess things up now! I would have skipped it, but it was my best friend's birthday. This was a very nice restaurant. I had studied the menu online and had 3 options I was planning on going over with our server to see which would be easiest for the kitchen to make compliant. We got there and it turns out they had changed their menu at the last part of last month and hadn't updated it on their website (eek!). Rather than hold everyone up when he started taking orders I said "I'm going to be a problem child - how about taking everyone else's order and coming back to me last?" He chuckled, but did take my order last. Thankfully, one of the specials that night was lobster tails - I asked how they were cooked. Broiled. Perfect! I explained I  was on an elimination diet and had a list as long as my arm of foods I'm not eating. I asked he have the kitchen dry broil the lobster and reiterated no butter, no oil. Steamed veg, again, no butter, no oil; and a side salad with vinaigrette on the side. He said "that wasn't so bad! I thought you said you'd be the problem child :)" The kitchen did WONDERFULLY. The only thing amiss was the salad was dressed so I sent it back and asked for a dry salad which I got promptly. The lobster was to die for, btw - so fresh it didn't need anything. After that experience I wouldn't hesitate to go out to eat again.  It helps that since I'm not spending money on drinks & wine I could splurge for the pricey special of the day and not feel a bit of guilt. :D

Archived