350 Lbs-Day 1

Ninalia

I've been flirting with going on a healthy, low carb diet for a while but I've always went back to my destructive way of eating. I am 40 yrs old and this is my highest weight in my adult life. I lost over 100 lbs twice before with strictly measured, low carb diets. My lowest adult weight was 170 lbs; five years ago I went from 290 to 170 in less than a year but it all and more came back in just 2 months. I will try to keep my diet simple for now, so today is oven cooked pork and salad.

• Moderators

Let's talk about the Whole30 for a bit. It is not a low carb diet. You can make it low carb, but we strongly advise you to eat as many starchy veggies as you need to maintain energy and emotional balance. Going low carb can be hard on some people, especially women. 

We want you to eat a variety of foods and to consume at least three meals per day. If you eat pork and salad three times today, you are technically compliant with the Whole30, but you are not really living into the program. You do not have to prepare complicated, fancy meals, but we would like for you to vary your protein and especially your veggies each day. 

It is important to avoid weighing and measuring during a Whole30. We do offer a meal planning template to help you appreciate how much to eat, but we find that weighing and measuring keeps you from developing a healthy relationship with food. 

Here are a collection of documents that are useful when you are new:

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct about the low carb diets being emotionally hard: they triggered (in me), the most horrible binges. I will try to incorporate a variety of protein and veggies on a daily basis. Thank you for the links!

• Moderators

I've been flirting with going on a healthy, low carb diet for a while but I've always went back to my destructive way of eating. I am 40 yrs old and this is my highest weight in my adult life. I lost over 100 lbs twice before with strictly measured, low carb diets. My lowest adult weight was 170 lbs; five years ago I went from 290 to 170 in less than a year but it all and more came back in just 2 months. I will try to keep my diet simple for now, so today is oven cooked pork and salad.

Hi! I just wanted to say, I know where you're coming from. When I started my first Whole30 a year ago, I was coming off of Medifast, which I'd done for a few months and lost almost 40 lbs (down from 337 to 298), but I'd started to not feel good, and found myself really bending the rules of the program because I was tired of the food and really, it wasn't addressing a lot of the emotional eating stuff I was doing, although I'm not sure I realized that at the time.

What I like about Whole30 is that I feel like I'm really nourishing my body. Diets (and I've tried several of them over the years) always felt like a punishment. I always felt like giving up certain foods was my punishment for letting myself get so horribly fat. Eating a pile of lettuce with dry grilled chicken breast and some horrible tasting fat free dressing felt like punishment. But I just assumed I deserved that punishment. Whole30 is completely different. I feel like feeding my body the nutrients I need to be healthy is helping me to have more respect for my body. It's still a work in progress, I still have days where I look in the mirror and hate what I see, but I really feel like eating this way is changing my focus in a way that nothing else I've tried has.  

Anyway, I would encourage you to follow the meal template, even if it feels like a lot of food. Don't be afraid of adding fat to your meals, and definitely have a starchy veggie at least once a day, more if you're really active -- it really will make a difference in your mood.

• Administrators

Welcome, Ninalia!  There is some amazing and comprehensive information out there about this journey you're about to embark upon.  The best and most accurate information is going to be what you discover about yourself.  How to love, respect and nourish yourself with food instead of punish and hurt and disrespect yourself. 

Whole30 wisdom flies in the face of everything you have ever been told....but once you start to trust the process and begin to see that the piles upon piles of anecdotal evidence have more truth to them than anything you've ever been told....well....that is where the real jewel is.  Knowledge of yourself and your experience and what YOUR body needs to be healthy and well and happy.

I'm so excited for you!  Stay strong and focussed and let the wonderful people on this forum support you and cheer you on!

Ninalia-  welcome home!   Whole30 is a place where you will find lots and lots of great wisdom and lots and lots of support.   No more diets for you, just a journey into nourishing  your body with good whole food. 

Some things I would suggest -

1) Consider creating  a Whole30 log in the this part of the forum   http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/.     By logging your food you will be able to start identifying patterns and more importantly, you will have a record to share if you ever need help troubleshooting. 

2) Consider subscribing to the Whole30 daily email.  https://daily.whole9life.com/  Even if you have read the book, the daily email helps you focus on one small part of the journey for that day.   It is really really worth the few dollars

3) Make one or two meals each day  super simple easy by pre-preparing  template ingredients and creating a "hot plate" out of the ingredients.  For example at the beginning of the week cook up a few pound of ground meat, microwave some  sweet potatoes and keep a big pack of greens in your fridge.   Each day for lunch (or breakfast or dinner)  put a handful of the meat, 1/2 of a sweet potato and a big handful of the greens in a dish and microwave for 1 min.  Top with some good fat (coconut milk, avocado) and some seasonings and you have a template compliant meal in minutes.     By making one or two meals very automatic at first you save yourself the stress of "what should I eat now"   

4) ask for help-  the moderators (like tom!) are so knowledgeable and they really love to help.  They have probably seen it all and if there is something they dont know they will find out for you!  

Good luck ninalia-   what a good thing you have started for yourself!!  

You are getting lots of good advice and help... I have done this (7 rounds of W30+) for just over two years and I want to give you on ray of hope.

I was 312 Lbs and quickly marching towards higher back a few years ago.  Whole30 has been great and weight loss has occurred for me but the biggest and most cherished thing about the program for me is the control.  If you follow the W30 program, the control from cravings, the control from compulsion to over-eat and the control that is gained in living life with food (not for food) continues to be the greatest gift of the program.

I have other benefits like less joint pain, better regularity, no acid reflux, clearer skin, weight loss, stable energy... but the control thing for me is invaluable.

I have participated in various groups on the W30 forum and so many (but not everyone) have listed this "control" as the biggest benefit they have experienced in the process.  I wish you so well and hope that you find what you are looking for.  It may benefit you to see the program as a path to better health rather than as a weight loss program (though it does occur).  Health as a goal is so much more meaningful than weight loss!

Cheers

DJ

You are getting lots of good advice and help... I have done this (7 rounds of W30+) for just over two years and I want to give you on ray of hope.

I was 312 Lbs and quickly marching towards higher back a few years ago.  Whole30 has been great and weight loss has occurred for me but the biggest and most cherished thing about the program for me is the control.  If you follow the W30 program, the control from cravings, the control from compulsion to over-eat and the control that is gained in living life with food (not for food) continues to be the greatest gift of the program.

I have other benefits like less joint pain, better regularity, no acid reflux, clearer skin, weight loss, stable energy... but the control thing for me is invaluable.

I have participated in various groups on the W30 forum and so many (but not everyone) have listed this "control" as the biggest benefit they have experienced in the process.  I wish you so well and hope that you find what you are looking for.  It may benefit you to see the program as a path to better health rather than as a weight loss program (though it does occur).  Health as a goal is so much more meaningful than weight loss!

Cheers

DJ

DJ....thanks for your wisdom and inspiring testimony.   Better health is everything.

Hi Ninalia,

Congratulations on taking the plunge into better health! I'm so impressed that you've been able to lose the weight before and I know you can do it again and achieve good health along the way.  I too have a bunch of weight to lose, maybe we can support each other.  I am on day 24 and can say that as you go along, meal planning gets easier.  The main thing I have noticed is that my relationship with food is changing, and I am sure you will have a similar experience.

Best wishes,

Dawn

Archived