use the fat from pork belly to cook with

Cyndi Lou

I have some pork belly that I purchased from the farmers market.  The pork is from a small local farmer and was also processed locally.  Is it OK for the Whole 30 and can I use the fat from it to cook with.  Like fry my eggs in it?  Can I us Pork Belly and how do I use it in my Whole30 diet?

• Moderators

Pork belly is uncured/unsmoked bacon. The place I get my meat from sells it already sliced, so you can fry it up like bacon -- although even salted, it's not exactly the same flavor, the curing/smoking/whatever magic it is they do to get bacon really does make a huge difference. There's a thread on turning pork belly into bacon here, if you're interested.

Using the fat from the pork to cook with is fine, just like using the fat from W30 compliant bacon would be.

Whole9 has a Bacon Manifesto that addresses the concerns with pork in general and bacon in particular that you might find interesting.

Anyway, enjoy your pork belly!

Pork belly is uncured/unsmoked bacon. The place I get my meat from sells it already sliced, so you can fry it up like bacon -- although even salted, it's not exactly the same flavor, the curing/smoking/whatever magic it is they do to get bacon really does make a huge difference. There's a thread on turning pork belly into bacon here, if you're interested.

Using the fat from the pork to cook with is fine, just like using the fat from W30 compliant bacon would be.

Whole9 has a Bacon Manifesto that addresses the concerns with pork in general and bacon in particular that you might find interesting.

Anyway, enjoy your pork belly!

Thank You I did read the Bacon Manifesto and all the replies.  Just now cooking up the pork belly which was sliced.  Have to tell you I think I like it better than bacon.  yum yum 

Archived