Coconut butter/manna - brands, recipes, etc?

So, I'm a big fan of coconut butter. Actually, I'm pretty sure just about everyone's a big fan of coconut butter. I'd love to compare notes on where you gets yours, or recipes if you make it yourself.

I've tried the "just throw dried unsulfured coconut in a food processor/magic bullet forever" approach, but it tends to be too grainy for my liking.

Personal #1 = Artisana, since it's raw and slightly sweeter than most brands. It's also like $12 a jar, which is ungodly.

Artisana%20Coconut%20Butter.jpg

Personal #2: Nutivia Coconut Manna

Not raw, not as sweet as Artisana and clearly in a smaller package... at the WF here in NY one bottle runs about $9.

NTV020_Xl.jpg

Since they were out of Nutivia at WF today, I picked up a box of Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, which claims you can mix 1Tbs. of the cream with 2Tbs. hot water (or more, or less - depending on desired thickness) to get something... coconutty and gooey?

Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut.jpg

... I know there's companies like Tropical Traditions that you can order coconut cream from online, but I"m unsure if it's gross. (And nobody wants to spend $20 plus shipping to find out something tastes awful or is a poor substitute for "the good stuff.")

SO! What do you use? Where do you get it? Are you a pre-packaged or self-made type of coconut goo appreciator?

I love the Coconut Cream from Tropical Traditions, Artisana and Nutivas Coconut Manna. I would say that TT is closest to the Coconut Manna. I like all three of those pretty equally but if I had to choose just one I'd probably go with the TT Coconut Cream Concentrate.

I love the Coconut Cream from Tropical Traditions, Artisana and Nutivas Coconut Manna. I would say that TT is closest to the Coconut Manna. I like all three of those pretty equally but if I had to choose just one I'd probably go with the TT Coconut Cream Concentrate.

I guess I'm going to order a jar and see how it goes - otherwise it looks like I'm stuck with the WF cost of Artisana. :|

Yum! I'm training for a half marathon and I've found that the perfect snack to eat during my 6 mile+ runs is a date, sliced in half and pitted, then stuffed with coconut butter. Better fuel than energy gels or bars!

I have the Nutiva brand and like it just fine. If it gets dry and gritty toward the end of the jar, just add some coconut oil to it and mix well.

Because it's so rich and we don't eat non-fruit sweets, I enjoy a spoonful whenever I'm actually hungry and want something sweet to hold me over. Whenever I add it to anything, it just seems to dilute the richness I like so much, so I make a jar last for ages by just having teaspoons at a time and really savoring them.

You can get a 2-pack of the 15oz Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna for $15.30 on Amazon with free shipping on orders over $25. In case you're looking to do a big Amazon order...

I saw a jar of MaraNatha coconut butter at the store for $8.99, but I had to resist the urge to buy it.

I'm new to the whole coconut manna thing, and have only just discovered it's wondrousness... I just tried adding some chopped pecans and a shake of cinnamon to a couple of dessertspoons of the melted manna, poured the mixture onto some greaseproof paper, chilled it, and am now nibbling on it. Lasts much longer than just eating spoonfuls out of the jar, so hopefully easier to control inhaling it in one go...

I've seen the Let's Do Organic brand, but been afraid to buy it because I didn't know if it was the same product. Is it actually coconut butter, or do you need to mix it with water for it to become spreadable?

The packaging says you should mix it with water - I threw it in a jar with the remnants of Artisana, and it came out pretty liquidy on its own. Granted it's been above 80 in NY but I have a feeling during summer months there's no need to water it down.

In Sydney I bought "lovingearth raw organic coconut butter". I tried a spoonful out of the jar but it didn't do anything for me! I haven't tried it before so nothing to compare it to. What else can I do with it? I might try the nut thing daisydaisy mentioned...

In Sydney I bought "lovingearth raw organic coconut butter". I tried a spoonful out of the jar but it didn't do anything for me! I haven't tried it before so nothing to compare it to. What else can I do with it? I might try the nut thing daisydaisy mentioned...

Nutella is deeeeeefinitely not Whole30 friendly. ;)

(Kidding, I know you're talking about the cinnamon & pecans. SO GOOD.)

Here's my order of preference: Artisana, Maranatha or homemade and Let's Do Organic. Based on the jars I've had, the Artisana seems to be a bit thicker (less water content?) and a bit creamier than the Maranatha. I like the Maranatha almost equally well, but I'm not a huge fan of the Let's Do Organic creamed coconut. It's much grittier than either Artisana or Maranatha.

I like homemade coconut butter nearly as well as Artisana and about the same as Maranatha, and it's a fraction of the price. I can get bulk unsweetened coconut flakes for $3.39 / lb at the grocery store. In my experience, 1 lb of flakes yields an almost full 16 oz canning jar.

Here's my recipe for homemade coconut butter:

- 1.5 lbs bulk unsweetened coconut flakes

- Vitamix blender (other decent blenders should work fine, but YMMV)

I dump all of the flakes in the blender, turn it on low, slowly ramping up the speed over 4-5 minutes, then flip it to high for another 5 minutes. It will slowly turn from flakes into a doughy mixture, then into a thick liquid, slowly thinning out as the Vitamix grinds and warms up the coconut. When it's done, I put it in a mason jar and let it cool overnight to room temperature.

The texture is just as creamy as Artisana, and far superior to the Let's Do Organics stuff. The taste is pretty close to Artisana, but not quite. Maybe fresher coconut flakes would taste better... I'm not sure.

Archived