I will stick with it!!! This time...

theya

I am starting my Whole 30 (again) tomorrow. I pushed the re-set button because a friend came over with a bottle of wine last night and I simply couldn't say no! (I know, I know, nobody forced it down my throat) I found it interesting to observe the amount of negotiating and whining my inner brat did to justify that wine. And of course, the wine made me feel so crappy that I had to have some toast this morning just to feel better... Granted it has been a particularly stressful, emotional, and exhausting week, a fact I had anticipated when beginning my Whole 30, but that's no reason to let myself get run down by making poor choices. I NEED the Whole 30 during this time of great stress, it is my hope that it will help me cope with the things that are coming (custody battle, cross-country move just to name a few...) in the next month. So wish me luck and help me stay accountable!!!

Theya

So here I am on day 2 and really it's not so hard after all. Last night I effortlessly resisted the wine at dinner and slept better than I have in months. I even woke up 5 minutes before my alarm feeling refreshed! Last night I made fish sticks with coconut flour and almond meal, kale, and oven sweet potato fries and my husband and kids said it was the best meal ever. Resisting the scale is very difficult for me, I have been pretty scale obsessed for a long time now, and my husband has been obsessively weighing himself twice a day since we met (yes, I've checked he is, indeed, a man). I do really miss cream and sugar in my coffee, I took my 11-year-old out for breakfast this morning and it was difficult to choke down the diner's rot-gut coffee without the much needed assistance of cream.

This is actually harder than I thought it would be (I'm only on day 3). Like many women I know, I have quite a complicated relationship with food: it was a reward and source of comfort during childhood, during my 20's quest for skinny it became the enemy, during my 30's and two pregnancies things balanced out a lot, especially due to the magic of nursing two babies (eating as much as I wanted and never gaining weight!!) But now that I have hit the big four-oh I think that pendulum has swung once more, I'm looking down the barrel at menopause (well, maybe not quite yet), and watching my metabolism slow a little, I'm watching some of my peers begin to get "lifestyle" related illnesses (diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure) and now maintaining robust health is such a huge priority to me! Even so, that inner brat of mine is fighting me every day for "just a little bite of dark chocolate" or "just a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee". It's not the big treats I'm missing (bread, cheese), as much as the small pleasures. It's made me realize how much I view food as a reward and source of comfort, and because I'm going through a stressful time in my life I haven't yet devised other ways to treat and comfort myself. It's almost as if I've lost a friend (my latte?). I hope those things evolve with time. In the meantime, I find myself having very vivd and exciting dreams (a food replacement maybe?) We shall see...

PS, thanks for the coconut milk tip Jim, it won't work for coffeehouses, but I will try it at home

Thanks! That was a great article! I could totally relate. I guess part of my difficulty is that at this point in my life I am still healthy and symptom free, so I don't have any major discomforts to motivate me to tow the line. Only my willpower...

Perhaps healing the "complicated relationship with food" might serve as your current motivator. It's also interesting how many folks who believed themselves to be symptom free actually become aware (during a Whole30) of how food has been impacting them in many ways that they simply hadn't noticed.

I look forward to following your progress.

Archived