Runny stool taking magnesium natural calm

Cyndi Lou

I can't touch the stuff in even microscopic amounts.  I do take a magnesium supplement daily, but I had to hunt around to find a formulation that would not incite riots in my digestive system.  Natural Calm is Natural Disaster for my gut, unfortunately.  I feel your pain (quite literally).

• Moderators

Most people pass through the stage of having loose stools in response to taking Natural Calm pretty quick - maybe less than a week. You might be responding to the Natural Calm or you might be having loose stools in response to other changes in your life - food, sleep, stress, activity level...

Natural Calm is awful. I hate it. It tastes awful, it gave me anxiety, kept me up at night, and gave me diarrhea at very low doses. I now take Kal brand Magnesium glycinate. I can take 600mg per day (usually 200mg at each meal, but sometimes I forget and take it all at once and have no issues) with no loose stool. It's helping with my heart palpitations and anxiety. Glycinate is one of the best forms of magnesium you can get, it's easier to absorb than other forms (like citrate in Natural Calm).

• 4 weeks later...

Magnesium is also easily absorbed through the skin. Epsom salt baths (or just a warm towel soaked in a solution and applied) can help or you can get magnesium oil sprays. I have a friend who can't tolerate magnesium orally who swears by the transdermal methods.

• 2 months later...

I found that a chelated formulation of magnesium to be easy to absorb and does not cause distress in the gut.  A vegan brand that does not have any soy or lecithin listed in the ingredients is Doctor's Best 100% Chelated Magnesium.  (Chelated means the magnesium is bonded to amino acids, in this case lysine and glycine.)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you. I got Natural Calm and I can take 1/4 teaspoon no problem. 1/2 was okay. but when I got to 3/4 it was not helpful. it wasn't horrible or crazy, but it definitely gave me gooey poo, which I am not willing to put up with. I took a couple days off. I'm going to go back to 1/4 tsp and just hang out at that amount for a week. I don't have any major issues that would lead me to think I really, really need it, so I'm not going to sweat it if I don't get the 'whole dose' and figure something's better than nothing.

I didn't find it tasted like anything when I used it. or maybe very vaguely baking-soda esque. I was amazed after tasting the plain that anyone would bother with the flavored/sweetened version since it was just so neutral. but everyone's tastebuds are different!

Archived