Tomato sauce & apple sauce without sugar

lrmooney

I just bought Pomi brand tomato sauce (it's actually listed at tomato puree on the box) and it's great! BPA free box and one ingredient: tomatoes. I just jazz it up with some spices of my own…garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, etc. I've put it on chicken before baking it, "zoodles" (zucchini "noodles") eggs and even sweet potatoes. Great flavor, fresh and clean. :)

If you're just asking whether something is Whole30-compliant, you want to look at the ingredients list, not the nutrition facts. Anything with fruit will have natural sugars; what you care about is whether there is added sugar in the ingredients list. (Sugar has a lot of different names - sugar, high fructose corn syrup, cane syrup/cane juice, and a lot of other things.)

If you're interested in making your own, this applesauce is awesome and W30 compliant.

http://smittenkitchen.com/baby/2010/04/15/first-applesauce/

• Moderators

When you look at a label, the only thing that matters is the list of ingredients. If any sugar is listed as an ingredient, the product is not Whole30-compliant. Many products list macro contents and report protein, salt, sugar, carbs, etc. This part is irrelevant.

You cannot depend upon vendor recommendations because vendors do two things. 1) They change the product after everyone has gotten used to it. They add sugar or some other off-plan ingredient and make it not okay during a Whole30. 2) They sell a product in one region that is Whole30-compliant and a another product that is NOT compliant in another region. You must look at the ingredient list on whatever product you purchase. 

My practice is to look at every vendor's tomatoes, beets, etc.to find one that is compliant. It doesn't take that long. 

Add Rao's Homemade Marinara and Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes to Pomi, which only contains tomatoes and their natural sugar.  Careful with Muir Glen, their prepared sauces have sugar but at this time, Tom's cautions acknowledged, Muir Glen does not have sugar in their amazing fire roasted tomatoes.

When Rao's adds sugar to their marinara, I will drive to their house and yell at them to stop it.

Vermont Organic has an unsweetened applesauce by the jar or 4 pack containers.The only ingredients are apples and vitamin C. I limit it myself to just a small amount with pork or chicken because I am sure I could eat the whole jar easily :)  The company name is Vermont Village Cannery-website is VermontVillageApplesauce.com - its in all the stores here but I am just 30 minutes from the Vermont border so you would have to see if its available online or in your area.  I love it, its smooth and flavorful- my son says he likes it chunky better but he still eats alot of it!       I agree about Muir Glen tomatoes- I get their whole canned tomatoes and paste too- the paste makes a great ketchup, there is no sugar in either.   btw it(the applesauce) is kind of pricey $4.79  at my local coop and I've seen it for more. but unless you pick your own apples or get a good deal at an apple farm  its probably just as much to make it.It reminds me of the time I took a whole suitcase of apples on the plane to visit  one of my sons and family in Colorado becasue they missed NY apples in the fall- It was a large suitcase and alot of apples-the end result was a jar of applesauce and a jar of apple butter- haha.

Archived