Colonoscopy prep

Sheena812

• Moderators

My doctor asked me to consume a big dose of polyethelene glycol to clear out my system before my colonoscopy. Doing so messes with your gut bacteria in a big way. Even if you remain technically compliant with a Whole30, you would not be eating remotely according to meal planning template guidelines. I would not recommend scheduling a Whole30 that overlaps with the procedure. 

I am kind of a Mr. Whole30, but I sucked it up and drank the green Gatorade with high fructose corn syrup that my gastroenterologist advised mixing the polyethelene glycol with. 

I am currently post whole30 while I am remaining compliant. I just didn't want to overdo the sugar this time. Broth is allowed although I have a problem choking it down :). All liquids have to be clear although they can have color as long as it is not purple or red.

Tom I know I will need to drink the nasty stuff as it took 2 days in a row drinking it to clear me out last time. I am hoping things move better this time but I will probably need to do clear liquids for at least 3 days prior.

• Moderators

clear liquids for at least 3 days prior.

That sucks.

Tea would be another option (not sure about caffeine, is that okay? if not, there's herbal teas). What is it you don't like about broth? I know I don't care for beef broth -- too strong a flavor -- but I'm okay with chicken broth, especially if it's got a fair amount of salt in it. If it's just one type you don't like, try another. Prior to a surgery, I had to do a similar colon cleansing thing, and popsicles helped me feel like I was actually eating -- you could make your own out of fruit juice, watered down a little if you're worried about it being too much sugar. (I assume popsicles are okay pre-colonoscopy, they were okay for me pre-surgery -- obviously, if your doctor says otherwise, do what they say.)

Archived