turista

Day 11 Boredom and worries maybe I'm doing this wrong?

So I guess I'm struggling to eat in the morning cause I just have no appetite. Wake up around 7:30am but often not eating or drinking anything until about 10 or 11am, which pushes my second meal to about 4 or 5pm and then dinner around 9pm. (IF I have three meals). Getting plenty of water- probably minimum two liters a day. Sleep has been normal- about 7.5 hours a night. The food cravings have pretty much gone, and my energy levels have evened out- I'm usually pretty full and satisfied all the time now. I'm just feeling bored.  Honestly I know I'm compliant but I keep guilting myself over not having enough greens or many vegetables besides sweet potato and tomatoes.  Is it a problem to be having them like two meals a day? I love the taste and don't feel deprived in any way when I'm eating them but I noticed I've been somewhat avoiding greens and I don't think that's good... 

I purposefully haven't been measuring and writing every thing down because it brings out an obsessive diet control freak side of me that goes against the whole purpose of this challenge/way of life for me. But from memory I'll try to give you a decent idea of a typical day.

BREAKFAST- 2 fried or scrambled eggs with scallions/shallots in ghee. sometimes also a compliant sausage or a small cut of steak or meat from the previous night's meal. sweet potato and carrot hash,  1/2 avocado smashed. 1/2 tomato. salt and pepper. half an orange. occasionally some strawberries or an apple if I'm still hungry after that (which is rarely!)

LUNCH- chicken and fajitas (bell pepper and onion), homemade guacamole-1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato and maybe a banana  

OR  mustard chicken with mashed potato and asparagus. 

DINNER- roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots in herbs and olive oil. roast chicken breast or lamb chops. berries for dessert.

OR steak, roasted sweet potatoes and salad (arugula/rocket and tomato with vinaigrette)

I don't think it's unusual, or necessarily wrong, to go through patches of eating the same foods repeatedly for a few days - after all, eating seasonally generally means there's an abundance of one thing, but if it's for a couple of weeks or more, you might end up missing out on nutrients that you need.

If you're bored and actively avoiding greens, maybe you just need to find a new way to cook things? I've just discovered roasting silverbeet until it's a little bit crispy around the edges of the pan, and then dousing it in mayo - it actually makes silverbeet palatable! And since silverbeet is in season right now, that's a good thing - I'm not going to go out of my way to make it when it's $5 a bunch, but right now when it's $1.50, I need to make the most of those cheap leafy greens.

Maybe make it a goal to halve the amount of sweet potato you're having, and replace it with a new green vege every couple of days - asparagus is in season right now too: I had an asparagus, bacon and hardboiled egg warm salad last night, with an avocado mashed with lemon juice on top. Looked like a flower :)

The reason we ask you to eat breakfast within an hour of waking in the morning is that doing so is critically important to getting your hormones into their proper rhythm. Eating an early breakfast helps you to sleep at night because it helps to raise cortisol levels early in the day, so that they are ready to decline late in the day as they should. Getting your hormones on a good rhythm helps enormously with shedding unneeded fat. So whether you feel like eating or not, it is really important that you work on getting your first meal in early and not delay it until later. You may not be able to consume a full meal immediately, but do what you can and work up to it. 

Eating two meals per day works against getting your hormonal rhythms where they need to be. It is important to eat 3 meals per day for at least one year so that your body can establish good rhythms and you can become familiar what it is like to live this way before you experiment with other ways of doing things that are known to be problematic. 

Dark, leafy greens are as close to greatness as any one food gets. I am convinced that no one dislikes eating greens. What they dislike is the crappy tasting stuff many people cook. I try to eat dark, leafy greens at least once per day. In some seasons I eat them twice per day. This is easy for me because I have learned to cook them in ways that I really like. I would not ask you to eat something that you hate, but if you hate greens, you need to learn new ways to prepare them. 

I feel your pain on greens and agree with Tom.  My problem with greens was not that I didn't like them, but that previous "diet' runs always presented super bland, water, sad sides of them.  I think you also need to be comfortable in the kitchen to an extent.  Sometimes recipes with or for greens are very under seasoned or ensure that it'll turn out water.  I take time at some point each week to jot down ideas for my meals and snacks:  what sounds good for  main?  what kind of sides would be good this week? etc.  Then, I'll come back to my list and start narrowing it down and seeing where can I add more green veggies.  For example, I love a good frittata.  I know I can add in nearly three cups of chopped spinach with pretty much ANY ingredients into the pan, and it'll be delicious.  I also love sauteed brussel sprouts in ghee with some of kind of toasted nuts as a side to my protein.  I live in the south as well, so greens aren't necessarily the sad side dish.  I'm making creamed spinach this week as a large part of a main dish with grilled steak.  Again, I think it'll take some experimenting on your part, and don't worry whether you've got enough to the point that your miserable about it--been there.