Whole 30 Starting 24/09/14

wholedlyon

Hi everyone !   First of all - I want to say I'm Thankful for all of you and the support you have given me since starting this !

Thanksgiving was good....  why is it - even on a holiday - people have to be negative nellies ! ? !    So I have not seen my older sister for, I think, 4yrs.  well - she decided to come to Thanksgiving.... I was really torn about it - but of course I will be the grown up and behave (not for myself - but for my parents).   She was very overweight, for the majority of her adult life...  one thing after another - derailed her from exercise (broken ankles - both, broken knee  etc etc )  well she finally had her blood tested for food allergies.  Basically a whole 30 but she paid a lot of money for it.  Any way - she has lost an estimate of 150 lbs.  looks great.   when I asked if she was happy to finally have a solution for her issues... and all she said was "i'm pissed, for the last 25 years I've been eating healthy and it didn't do anything for me.."    Why is it she can't see that there is good - she has the next 25 yrs enjoying her life.

anyway - I guess another 4 yrs wouldn't really bother me - too much negativity.

So  my pecan pie turned out great !  ( if forgot the butter and used less sugar)   I ate 2 pieces of pie on Thanksgiving (one piece w/ real whip cream)  and also a piece on Friday.  I also had apple pie - 1 piece Thurs/ Sat.    I enjoyed all pieces !!   I had a little bit of stuffing,.. and it did not taste as good as I remembered.  No ill effects of the sugar....  Last night I was very sore while sleeping, and will be heading to the back snapper to get the kinks out.  Don't know if the soreness is food related, or stress or just plain out of whack.  ( Gonna have another piece of pie this weekend - and will enjoy that piece as well !! )

Tomorrow is day 30 of my 3rd round...  Not a true 30 but for 95% of the time I was compliant.   and that feels pretty darn good.  I had to recount because I can't believe it has been that long already. !!

The weekend was spending totally relaxing -  

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok  so I had to start another post because I couldn't continue the other -  arrrgg typed a bunch and it just went to a different page and I lost everything

I was saying  Dawn-  I've made banana bread, and some muffins with almond flour- very good.  I have not tried to make bread w/ it - I have not had the desire to replace regular bread.  You will have to let us know how it turns out

david how was St Andrew's day ?   I'm curious about the Stovies ? !

Lisa so glad everything went well and you are back on track.... routine is very helpful!

Ok  I guess I'm done rambling !

Good morning everyone

I hope you all had a great weekend.

I had a relatively quiet weekend, still busy however so it passed far too quickly.

Was a little surprised by all the news coverage of the Black Friday sales carnage. It also made it over here too. Fighting over sales products and people being stampeded in the name of a bargain, I don’t get it.

Had to go to A&E with my wife on Saturday, she fell victim to Google. Last weekend she went over on her ankle and had noticed some clicking noises when going up the stairs. According to Google this was bad and she wanted to get it checked out, luckily the doctor reassured her it was nothing to worry about.

St Andrews day doesn’t get too much attention here but people normally stop to enjoy a nice Scottish meal. I had haggis for breakfast instead. My daughter had a birthday party in the afternoon and my wife was going visiting while I did my cookout.

I’m happy you all managed to enjoy thanksgiving.

Lisa, it’s great you were able to aggressively get back into it the morning after. It shows that you’ve really adopted the whole 30 approach and thanksgiving was a one off.

Dawn, sounds like you were well travelled over thanksgiving and I hope your husband was able to enjoy his thanksgiving with his crew. Sounds like you’re planning a clear out over the next few days.

We are planning to do the same; we need to make room for more stuff at Christmas and seem to accumulate so much junk throughout the year.

Tina, everyone has different recipes for stovies and slightly different ways to make them. They are a comforting dish of stew and potatoes.

I didn’t make them as the stew in the supermarket didn’t look great but the basic recipe looks good for the whole 30 I’ll give it a try at some point.

Here’s a good basic recipe.

http://www.stovies.com/

I remember them more as an oven baked dish with “day old” lamb and sliced potatoes, more like this.

http://www.scotlands-enchanting-kingdom.com/how-to-make-stovies.html

Hope you all have a great day.

We Can Do This

David

Hey everyone

Gonna make this quick and short. Not feeling all that well this morning. Had a migraine all day yesterday. My fault, at some sugar. Still having affects from it. Other than that I'm doing good. Trying to prepare food ideas for when hubby is gone hunting so I will still eat right. Got a couple of soup recipes I will make and gonna try zoodools too.

Well that's about all for me. I'm dragging today. Talk to you all later. Have a good day.

Hey guys,  Sounds like we are all doing pretty good.  I feel really good being back on track.  David, I think you are right about the fact that the detours from the plan can be a one off.  Before when I would blow it I would be mad and depressed and just give up and go crazy for way to long which would cause me to regain anything that I had managed to lose.  I feels amazing that if I choose to give in I can do it, enjoy the moment and then get right back to what I found that works for me.  I would never have believed that I would not be haunted with cravings for pastas, cokes and chips.  For the first time ever this challenge has done something that has turned that around.  I am still loaded with energy and just feel all around good, positive and happier.

Tina, I can relate to you about your family stuff.  I have come to believe that most everyone probably has some kind of issues with family.  I have a very big family and I love them all but sometimes it feels like I don't like them.  I have some dear friends that seem to completely understand how I feel and think but it doesn't feel like that with my own sisters.  It is what it is and like I said I love them.  Hopefully we (my sisters and I) can all grow in the right direction for our relationships.

Dawn, hope you feel better.  I always seem to do better with food when Ed is off hunting.  I think it is because when he is eating I feel more obligated to have a "meal".  When I am by myself I eat whatever works for me and it may not look like a "meal"

Sheena, hope you are still working on this and doing okay.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Morning everyone !

I can't believe it is December !   I am trying to get in the Christmas spirit....  I haven't even wanted to dig out the decorations. Which is very unusual for me - I love Christmas.   I think once we go cut down our tree that will help.

I think I should make some soups too - easy and a good way to warm up !  and get some extra veggies.  I've been saving my tough ends of the asparagus - so maybe I will make some soup with that.

Yesterday was our company dinner - ham, red potatoes and green beans.   it was pretty good, and I enjoyed it without worrying about sugar in the ham!  last night I had salmon patties (well fed2) - yummmmm   with some tomatoes and cukes.   

I signed up for a 4 wk basic yoga class !   Proud of myself for finally do that.    I had done that one class last month... the class last night was pretty different from that class.  the instructor was filling in, and she had just got certified ~ she did ok - but you could tell she was not confident in what she was doing.  So it was not the 'flowy' yoga that I had experienced last month.    She did a lot of stretching -    It was still nice to be 'exposed' to the practice.

Today M2 is going to be pot roast over mashed cauliflower w/broccoli.    M3 will be a left over of some sort - have orange chicken, salmon patties, roast beef, egg bake.  So happy I have an assortment  !

I hope everyone has a great day

Hey everyone.

How's it going? At the inlaws again for the rest of the week. Trying to stay as compliant as possible. At the mercy of them for the food. So far so good. Having prim rib roast and potatoes for dinner.

Tina. I hear you about getting in the spirit. We got our tree set up but that's it so far. Sounds like you did good at the company dinner. And the yoga class sounds fun. I just have my treadmill. I would have to go into the city to take classes of any sort.

David, Lisa, Sheena and Bonnie. How's it's going. We're Missing you these days. Come and let us know how your doing.

Hope everyone has a great day.

good afternoon peeps !   

well - things have been going ok -   however I messed it up - I had a snickers mini candy bar with my dinner and I paid for it later.  middle of the night I got the gurgly stomach and boy it was not happy

although the pecan pie went down perfectly fine !   My first guess is the peanuts !

I think that dairy doesn't agree with me either - had some home made onion dip - and the next day my fingers were more swollen and my feet hurt.  So I think I will limit the intake of dairy.   I have not eaten enough cheese to see any reactions yet.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend.  I have to work tomorrow.  and it is suppose to be fairly nice weather outside  so that is a bit of a bummer.

Hi all again... sitting here at work - it has been pleasantly slow (they asked for OT - so I'm surprised)   I have been cutting paper to make my Christmas cards.  Need to make snowmen and have been procrastinating at doing it - so I brought my supplies with me today.  Got the men done !  

I think I am back to not eating big enough portions - getting the snackies again.. which I have not had since the beginning of this journey.  I know that breakfast is somewhat ok - but is low on veggies for sure.    lunch today was 1 burger and some asparagus.  and Now I'm hungry.   Which means I will be likely to eat while making dinner.   

This is definitely a lesson learning life path !

After work, will be heading to the grocery store, to get some more veggies -  have run out of a lot of things.  I keep meaning to make a cuke salad that I found on pinterest - but end up eating the cukes before they get made into salad.

Hope everyone is doing good,.

Hello Everyone

How are you doing? I hope you had a great weekend and are enjoying the run up to Christmas.

Our weather has been mild most of this year so getting a little bit of winter weather here has made it feel a little more like Christmas.

Been feeling a little low recently so have been focussing on work. Been eating terribly which has led to more and more binging. It needs to stop.

Did a cookout yesterday and got the breakfast bake made, some stovies and some soup. Have planned to make 2 soups this week but will eat one and then make the other. Planning a carrot and coriander soup.

I see from the recipes the cream normally goes in at the end, I may substitute with coconut milk and see how that goes.

Just a quick note to say I’m still here and I’ll be getting back into it.

We Can Do This!

David

Hey everyone,  Had a very busy weekend.  Saturday we went to a fund raiser for breast cancer which was an all day thing.  Got very lucky with the food.  Ate at home before I went and had roasted pig at the event.  Sunday I didn't do quite as good.  Ed made 60 and we had a surprise birthday party for him.  Didn't go crazy or anything but ate more things than I should have.  Got right back to it today so I'm not to worried.

It seems like I have kind of found my knack with this.  I seem do do very good Mon - Fri.  On the weekends I have been going off but in a very controlled way and not for the whole weekend.  Monday I get right back to eating correctly.  I gain very little and seem to be able to get lose whatever I gain from it (I think it is fluid from salt/sugar...)  I still have lots of energy and feel very good.  Now I just have to continue to do it.

Hope ya'll are all hanging in there.

Good Morning Everyone

Dawn, I wish I could find an answer to that question also. It has happened, try to let it go and move forward. The more we practice the stronger we will get. Unfortunately I don’t think these negative impulses will go away but with time we can get better at managing our reactions to them. To use a surfing metaphor, we choose the waves to surf.

Lisa, it sounds like you’re doing well. I wish I had the strength to go off plan in a controlled way. I still seem to be an all or nothing player at the moment. If I have some sugar (or wheat) I seem to go into a hulk like hanger rage and must eat all sugar.

Tina, How are you getting on?

We Can Do This!

David

Hi All !  Good morning - made it through a busy Monday ... crossing my fingers that the rest of the week goes a little bit slower

Saturday evening I made stuffed pork patties -  omg  you all must try it !   (although it has bacon in it - but I decided I wasn't doing a totally compliant w30  at the moment)   certainly can omit.    check it out at  www.paleomg.com   apple/bacon pork patties     I added onion to the apple bacon stuffing...  and they were really really good.   even Brooke approved.     I used nitrate free bacon,  I can't find a compliant bacon in my area and I can't afford to buy any.  

In Jan I am doing another w30  totally compliant - so if anyone wants to join in ?!

I just decided that I could use it -   although I have done pretty well the last months..... I have let a few things slip in -  some added sugar, not badly but still added sugar.    Like deli made potatoe salad, bacon (little bits), some almond milk, molasses in my pork chops.(which was really yummy by the way ).      I used to drink Coke - and sometimes miss it - and I'm afraid if I keep up with the additional sugar that I will end up back drinking soda... Or rather craving it.    Luckily we did not drink much soda prior - so It really is not a stretch for me to NOT drink it.   I also am not eating enough veggies, like the Whole 30 meal template says.

so if anyone wants to join in on another W30, please do !

Gonna start over today on day 1. See if I can stick to it for 20 days. Till Christmas atleast. Then start over again after Christmas till the wedding. I really need to loose as much as possible before the wedding. I need to commit to using my treadmill every day for at least 30 minutes. It's the only way this will work!! I'm just so tired all the time again. I'm not sleeping enough at night, but falling asleep at 7:30-8pm every night in front of TV. Then awake by 5am. I just don't understand it.

dawn - I'm gonna commit to do some exercise as well !  With my new hours   (10:30 -7)  I will have time to come into work and workout.  and I'm gonna continue the yoga classes. !

I am happy to say that I'm now down 18 lbs.   and I certainly would like to keep dropping and really my main goal is to get rid of the inflammation and get my muscles strong so my hip stops popping out !!

Tonight I totally fell of the wagon... ok not really falling  - JUMPED ...  I had dinner at Moe's mecixan fast food joint.  burrito bowl... chicken sour cream guac cheese rice and their awesome queso cheese and CHIPS ..  after this off roading - I won't know what causes problems  but I ENJOYED it ! 

So the next days will be compliant so that I can get back on track     ~  I hope my body isn't going to be too harsh on me for this indiscretion !!!  LOL

So the next thing on my list to enjoy before another W30 is to make myself some yummy gooey caramel brownies.  It is my birthday at the end of the month, and brownies are my all time favorite treat EVER.  So what better way to Celebrate Me than a pan of brownies -  ok not a pan ( I will have 1 or 2/3/4  and then bring the pan to work !! 

so yoga tomorrow - and I am hoping that tomorrow is better than last week.  I really want to enjoy it.

Hang in there everyone !  and jump back on the Wagon !!

Good Morning Everyone

Tina, Dawn

I’m with you for the Jan 1st restart.

I’ve never been much of a soup person but over the last few days I’ve really loved coming home to a bowl of soup. I’m eating a leek and potato soup just now and it tastes great, very comforting. Going to make a carrot and coriander soup later this week too.

We Can Do This!

David

Good Morning

How are you all today? We had a strange day here yesterday, getting all kinds of weather in a day. Sleet, hail, torrential rain, high winds and then bright clear skies. Everyone leaving the office looked dressed for weather Armageddon but the climate was like a nice autumn rather than 2 weeks before Christmas.

Been partially complaint, my wife is an awesome baker and has had a lot of cakes to do and I’ve fallen back into the role of tester.

I would be great if the whole household could be whole 30 but its not achievable at present, especially in the run up to Christmas. The holidays always show how strong a relation we have to food. Christmas day is as much about the food for many as the gifts and the religious concepts behind it.

We Will Do This!

David

Howdy

How are you all doing.

Friday again, where did the week go.

Really enjoyed having some more traditional Scottish meals this week and think I’ll do the same next week too. A little change to freshen things up and I think my tastes for food have changed a little now the temperatures are getting lower.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

We Can Do This!

David

good morning everyone !    David - you sound In better spirits !  sometimes we just have to take a step back and Breathe ! 

Yoga was very good the other night - the owner was our instructor and will be for the remainder.  I am still feeling my muscles, which I don't mind because it reminds me that I can get stronger and that I actually worked them !

Last night - I tried the bacon apple patties but with ground turkey (walmart was out of gr pork ! )  I think they will be pretty dry - but I brought my mayo to slather on them.  so M2 will be patty, cauliflower and a small salad.  M1 was a salad w/ 3 fried eggs on top.

tonight I have little man - so it will be a fun night.  Tomorrow is hair apt and shopping,  Had intended on getting more pork so I could make some meatballs to bring with me tomorrow so that I don't have to go to any 'drive through".   I have gr beef but I don't if the meatballs will be too dry.... I guess it wouldn't hurt anyway !

I am going to go to a Christmas tree farm on Sunday with my family to get my Christmas tree.  The weather is suppose to be great - like in the 40's !   It will be nice to spend time with my family.

Dawn -  Lisa   Hope you both are well !

hi guys,  Hope you are all doing well.  I know its a little early to reflect on the last year but Ed is off hunting and last night I had quiet time and found myself thinking a lot.  Jan 1 2014 I was miserable and knew that I had to get a hold on my life.  The last couple of years were consumed with to many major stress situations and I had just lost control.  We bought a older family home on 16 acres in the country and had to renovate the whole thing.  Well worth the effort but many times found myself questioning what we got ourselves into.  On top of that my oldest daughter was going through trying to recover from a drug addiction.  I hope this is something no one ever has to experience.  It is a horrible thing to go through and it takes a toll on the whole family.  I often thought that I would not be able to get through it.  That was also worth the effort.  On Christmas eve my daughter will have been clean one year. We still all have to work hard with her but I pray that things continue to go well.

Jan. 2nd I got on the scale and weighed 136.6, may not sound like much to some people but I am 5 ft tall.  I didn't care about anything, didn't want to do anything because that meant having to get dress in clothes that wouldn't fit.  I just wanted to be left alone.  Didn't keep up with haircuts, didn't put on make-up, just didn't care.  I made up my mind it was time to change all of that.  I did pretty good and by around April I was 126.9.  I still couldn't fit in hardly anything and even though I thought I was doing great exercising, counting calories and eating healthy nothing would get me below that # on the scale.  I kept trying and trying and nothing.  soon that got old and I found myself gaining slowly.  I felt pretty down on myself and figured that I was 54 now and guess things wouldn't work for me like they had done in the past. 

In September I saw on facebook that my cousin was doing a whole 30 challenge.  Read all about it and wasn't sure.  I didn't like the idea of giving up so much, I felt like I was eating good food but I was really not eating enough.  I was restricting calories and having very small portions.  I kept trying to talk myself into it but really didn't want to.  I ate yogurt all the time, loved pasta.....that's when I thought about Ed's cousin who had terminal cancer.  I did it in honor of her.  It was a wonderful decision.  It changed everything for me.  Made the first 30 days with no mess ups.  That got me below the 126.  Did another 30 and today I am 122.  I can wear most of my clothes now but that is only one thing that got better.  I feel like I have my life back.  I sleep at night,  I get dressed up and put on make up and look forward to going out.  I am fully of energy and don't just sit around wanting to be left alone.  Ed's cousin is gone and she never even knew that she was my inspiration.  I think about her a lot.

I am trying to stick to the whole 30 plan as much as I can but I'm not perfect all of the time.  When I got off I get right back to it the next day.  It feels so good to have that feeling of being in control back again.  I think this way of eating will help me so much in the future.  I think of all the years that I starved and obsessed about anything having to do with food.  Life is short and I hope I don't go back to wasting so much time because of eating. I just want to say thanks to you guys.  I read every post and I know it helped me out so much.  It helps so much to know that people are going through this with you and that you are not alone. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and I hope we all continue to have the drive to improve out health. 

Ya'll have a great day!

Lisa

Lisa I know what your going through with your daughter. I'm kinda doing the same with my son. He was using drugs but not totally addicted. But he is in a rehab. He's been in and out of jail since he was 17. It's been really rough on my husband and myself. But we're making it through it. I'm going up Sunday to visit him. we get to visit him once a month. It's a 4 hour drive there. He has a job and doing well. He's suppose to spend 18 months there but he said he's leaving as soon as he's off probation. He's going to continue going to the meetings and working with his sponsor. Which is good. He just hates the place he's in. It's not run like a rehab should be run.

Then we had the stress of buying the new house, selling the old and getting everything done to please the county. Now we have the wedding to do. It's just one stressful thing after another. But we can survive it all and come out on top. I know this cause we already are doing it. We're strong!

Well I'm off to eat my hamburgers on lettuce. Missed breakfast this morning cause I had a early Drs apt to get my eyes checked. Got new glasses. Now maybe I can see again. Lol.

Talk to you'll latee

Archived