Journey to a better me

Derek`

Hello.  I Want to introduce myself.  I was fairly active in these forums last year and in the early part of this year.  I completed a W30 and loved the program.  I felt amazing.  I had had a lifelong struggle with depression and other psychological issues.  I was also morbidly obese and suffered from sluggishness and daily acid reflux and heartburn.  The W30 changed all of that.  Eating real food makes me feel amazing.  I have lost about 80 pounds so far.  I have been off of antidepressant medications for over two years, after nearly 20 years of being put on every mood-enhancing medication under the sun.  My energy levels are great.  I'm more active and just feel better.

I want to lose about 35 more pounds.  This year I ran two marathons.  I pretty much put all of my weight loss goals on hold during training, so I want to focus on that some more.  I am back to following the W30 meal template.  I want to sleep better.  My goal is to turn off all electronics at least an hour before I go to bed.  I've been relying on sleeping pills to fall asleep and I really want to not do that.  Also, no caffeine after 10 a.m.  I will have my 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, then none after that.  I need to focus on stress management.  Going to try some meditation or reading before bedtime.  Finding time to be outside.  Basically, really getting into the habit of the 9 factors in Whole9.  

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday 9/25:

Sleep:

Slept for a good 7+ hours.

Food:

5:30a - Ham, steamed green beans, almonds, 2 cups of black coffee

11:45a - Broccoli.  Big Ass Salad (stole the term from Mark Sisson) - spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, chicken breast.  Apple

3:00p - a few cashews (about half of the 'closed hand' W30 serving suggestion).  Trying not to snack, but still re-figuring out how much to eat at meals.

5:30p - Steak. Spinach/tomatoes w/ O/V dressing.  Roasted turnips, carrots, and onions.  Pineapple.

Movement:

4- mile run.

2-mile walk with the dog.

Play:

Didn't have a whole lot of time, but did play LEGO a little bit with my son.

Meditation:

Turned off the electronics at 8:30.  Read for a little bit (re-reading The Primal Blueprint).  Then I dimmed the lights and meant to meditate on the couch.  Ended up nodding off so I moved to bed.  Fell asleep on my own with no sleeping pills.  Slept soundly, but maybe not as long as I would have liked.

Outdoors:

running and walking.

Thanks, Bethany.  Good to "see" you again.  

Friday 9/26

Sleep:

6+ hours.  But no sleeping pills.  Kept the caffeine to two early cups of coffee.

Food:

5:00a - Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in coconut oil.  Half an avocado. A few bites of watermelon.

12:00p - Meatball/vegetable soup.  Broccoli.  Celery and carrots.  Spinach/tomatoes w/ O/V dressing.  Pineapple.

5:30p - Chicken breast.  Roasted turnips/carrots/onions.  Baked sweet potato

Movement:

Body Pump

Play:

Played outside for a bit with the kids

Meditation:

Fell asleep fairly early, easily and quickly.  Spent a couple of minutes reflecting beforehand.

Outdoors:

Enjoyed some outdoors time with the kids.

I don't believe it was a fueling issue.  It was all pacing problems.  I started with a pace team that seemed totally appropriate and doable based on a half I ran last month.  Blindly followed the pacer without checking my own time.  Turns out, she was running too fast and it caught up to me and I blew up at the end.  I'll do better next time.  ;)

Saturday 9/27

Sleep: slept so-so overnight between Friday/Saturday.  Woke up early.  Fell back asleep for a little bit.  Probably about 6-7 hours.  Not as much as I'd like but still okay.

Food:

6:30a Scrambled eggs w/ onion and peppers, cooked in coconut oil

11:45a Spinach/Tomato salad with O/V dressing.  Hamburger.  Broccoli.  Watermelon.

6:00p Chicken breast.  Roasted turnips/carrots/onion.  Baked potato

9:00p Don't usually snack, but we popped some air-popped corn and watched a movie.

Movement:

6-mile run

2-mile walk with the dog

Play:

Went to the LEGO club meeting at the LEGO store with my son.  Was fun.

Meditation:

Spent a little time reading some self-help kind of book and reflecting.

Outdoors:

Run and walk.  The kids went to a neighbor's house in the evening so we didn't really have our evening outside playtime.

Spent most of the day doing a honey-do list.  Wife went to Lowes and spent a bunch of money yesterday morning, which means I had a bunch of projects to do in the afternoon.  Was exhausted, so I feel asleep pretty easily.

Sunday 9/28

Sleep:

slept really well, until about 5:45.  Then I was up.  Just not good at sleeping in.  But I was probably asleep by 11 so it's fine.

Food:

7:00a.  Made banana pancakes with the kids.  It was fun and they are learning how to measure ingredients, etc.

11:45a Spinach/tomatoes and grilled chicken with avocado dressing.  Broccoli.  Carrots.  pineapple.

5:30p Pork chop.  Sautéed green beans.  White rice.  watermelon.

Movement:

5-mile run.

Play:

Went to a puppet show at the library with the kids.  I let them pick out some library books.  My son picked out a book about eating grains.  lol.  Had some time outside at the park with them.

Meditation:

turned off electronics at 8:15 and had quiet time.  Dimmed the lights.  Fell asleep pretty easily.

Outdoors:

running and playing with the kids.

Sara, I'm feeling satisfied.  I didn't do so well trying to go really low carb, so I've added some back in.

Monday 9/29:

Sleep was good overnight.  :)

Food:

5:30a  Scrambled eggs with onion and pepper, cooked in coconut oil

12:00p Spinach/tomato salad with grilled chicken breast and avocado dressing.  broccoli. carrots. celery.  small apple.

6:00p Hamburger. Steamed broccoli. Almonds. a little bit of white rice

Movement:

Strength Class at the gym

Play:

Didn't really have much time.  Going to the exercise class later, plus taking care of all of the housework since my wife was sick.

Meditation:

Just a few minutes with the light dimmed before bed.

Outdoors:

took the dog for a walk

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee in the morning.  

Tuesday 9/30

Sleep:

Fell asleep early (probably by 8:30 lol).  Slept soundly until my daughter came into our bed at 2:30.  Didn't really sleep much after that :(

Food:

5:00a. Chicken breast, steamed broccoli, olives.

12:00p Spinach/tomato salad with chicken and avocado dressing.  Broccoli.  Carrots.  Banana

5:30p Meatloaf, baked potato w/ coconut oil, steamed green beans 

Movement:

5 mile run

Play:

Had a little bit of time with the kids to play LEGO

Meditation:

Self-reflection time for a few minutes

Outdoors:

running

Caffeine:

2 cups of coffee before 9 a.m.  That was it.

Thanks, mg!  This is a pretty easy time to spend time outside since it's lovely here.  In a few months?  hmmm... 

I feel like I've got the eating part in line so I'm focusing hard on the lifestyle factors promoted by Whole9 and The Primal Blueprint (that's like my other "Bible" along with ISWF).  

Mostly sleep right now.  Becoming completely dependent on sleeping pills nearly every night was not a good thing.  I got myself off of antidepressants after changing my diet and thought processes.  No need to be stuck with another type of medication.  So limiting caffeine to 1 and sometimes 2 cups of coffee are important, as well as turning off electronics at least an hour before bedtime.  Caffeine was a big one.  I'm embarrassed to say how much diet pop I used to drink.  Some days I could have drunk a 12-pack.  :(  Ever since my Whole30, I've never liked it that much anymore.  I remember my first taste of it Post-W30, and I thought it was completely disgusting.  

Ha! I have about 4 sodas a year. The only one I like is coke zero. The world is just about waking up to the fact that diet soda is far worse than the standard soda and so addictive... Good on you for breaking the bond! I let my kids have real soda on occasion but they know to put it back if any sweeteners are listed or mum will rant!

FYI I changed my username as I didn't like how it was searchable in google... Happy for you to call me justine or juz within posts and mg is also fine :)

juz - is the regular pop there made with actual sugar or is it HFCS?  Here, the regular pop is all made with HFCS now instead of sugar and I can't stand it.  Not that we need to be drinking sugar or HFCS anyway... ;)  I know that in Mexico, Coke is still made with sugar.  

Tuesday 10/1

October!  Woohoo.  My favorite month   :wub:

Weighed myself today.  I will weigh myself at the beginning of each month.  174.4  A little bit higher than my 'recent' lowest weight in May.  But things will get better.  Goal is to get to 168 by 11/1.

Sleep:

Slept pretty well. 9+ hours.  :D

Food:

5:30a  Chicken breast. 1/2 avocado, cucumber slices and tomato.

12:00p Spinach/tomatoes w/ chicken and avocado dressing.  Broccoli.  Cucumber. Apple

5:45p Turkey sausage. Steamed green beans.  Spinach/bell pepper with oil/vinegar dressing.  Banana.

Movement:

1 hour of weight lifting

Play:

Had a little bit of outside time with my son

Meditation/self-improvement:

Read a little bit and relaxed before bed

Outdoors:

Went for a walk with the dog while trying to keep up with my son on his scooter :/

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee in the morning

Happy October Derek. Until recently, soda here was sugar based unless labelled diet or low cal. Now they are adding sweeteners to many of the sugar based sodas..... I don't think any are corn syrup yet. We mainly only see hfcs or corn syrup in US imported foods. I did see it in an Aldi icecream tub the other day. Sugar is cheap here because we grow lots of sugar cane in north australia, while corn is mainly grown for use as a vegetable.

Archived