Journey to a better me

Derek`

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday 10/13

Today was better.

Sleep:

Trouble falling asleep last night.  Tried melatonin.  Didn't really work.  Then took the Rx.  Not ideal.  Woke up pretty groggy

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/peppers, cooked in CO.  Bacon.

Avocado. Albacore Tuna. Spinach. Tomato.  Broccoli. Carrots.

Chicken breast cooked in EVOO.  Steamed asparagus.  Black Olives. Banana.

Movement:

Strength Class.

20-minute walk with the dog

Play:

Had a  little time with the kids outside tonight, but it's getting dark so early now :(

Outdoors:

Walked and raked leaves.

Meditation/Self-improvement:

Shutting off the electronics soon, then going to read and reflect.

Caffeine:

More coffee than I should have drunk this morning.

We've just switched to daylight savings here so enjoying the longer nights. Just getting dark now at 8pm. Plus its now light again at the end of my morning walk :). I had a coffee withdrawal headache this arvo but ended up too busy at work so just now having a night time cup of cocoa. Just as well as a 4pm coffee would have stuffed up my sleep for sure. Have a good Monday.

The bad eating day may have messed with your sleep.  And I'm thinking the melatonin plus a prescription sleeping aid caused drowsiness.

We are also experiencing the shorter days.  Fall is hitting us like a hammer, even though it is surprisingly warm today.

Tuesday 10/14

Sleep:

Not good.  Tossed and turned a lot :(  Probably 4.5 hours of quality sleep.

Food:

Chicken Breast cooked in EVOO.  Steamed Brussels Sprouts.  Black Olives

Meatball/veggie soup.  Carrots.  Broccoli.  Almonds.  Apple.

Sausage.  Steamed asparagus.  Baked Sweet Potato.  Apple.

Movement:

5-mile run

• Moderators

Hi Derek! I finally discovered your very own log. Very impressive how you've changed your life. Congrats! And I love your approach to your continuing evolution, focusing on the 9 factors every day. Great stuff!

FWIW, according to Ayurveda, fall is vata season, which notoriously makes people feel anxious and ungrounded, and it messes with sleep. Standing and walking barefoot on the earth is supposed to help as is deep rhythmic breathing.

Have you ever considered quitting caffeine altogether as an experiment?

Wednesday 10/15

Sleep:

slept for 7 hours.

Woke up today with a really bad cold (wife has been sick and I've felt it coming on since yesterday but I tried to ignore it).  Didn't go to work today

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in CO

Chicken breast. Steamed Broccoli.  Sauteed green beans. Spinach/tomato with EVOO/vinegar dressing.

Pork chop cooked in EVOO.  Steamed okra. Baked sweet potato.  Apple.

Movement/Outdoors:

50-minute walk

Play:

Spent some time meditating before bed

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee

Thursday 10/16

Sleep:

Fell asleep easily, but have been awake since 2:00 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep.  So 5.5 hours?

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in CO

Pork chops. Broccoli.  Carrots. Celery. Spinach/tomato/avocado salad.

Chicken breast.  Steamed Peas/Carrots.  Spinach/bell pepper w/ EVOO/vinegar dressing.  Apple

Movement:

Didn't feel like running because of this cold.  But I did walk the dog for about 50 minutes.

Outdoors:

Walking the dog

Play:

Played outside with my son for a bit

I am now picking up my box of affirmation cards and reading one and thinking about it.  Also am trying to read in the evenings.  It calms me.  I am starting the Lord of the Rings trilogy now.  I'm a slooooow reader and I can't usually spend more than an hour a night reading, so it will probably be like a year-long project to get through the books.   :lol:

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee!

Friday 10/17

Cold is a little better today.

Sleep:

8 hours last night.  Mostly due to nyquill, but also have been reducing caffeine again (it got away from me for a couple of weeks)

Food:

Chicken breast in EVOO. Steamed Cauliflower.  Black Olives

Broccoli. Carrots. Celery.  Spinach salad with tomato, avocado, and albacore tuna.

Pork chop.  Baked sweet potato.  Black olives

Movement:

Early morning  body pump at 5:45

Outdoors/Play:

Went to a Trick-or-Treat trail with the kiddos.  

Meditation:

Wisdom Card: "I have the power to make changes in my life"

Read until I started to fall asleep...

Caffeine:

1 C coffee

Saturday 10/18

Sleep:

8 hours.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion, cooked in CO.  Pork chop.

Tilapia baked in EVOO.  Broccoli. Carrots.  Black Olives. Apple

2 hamburger patties.  Oven sweet potato "fries." Almonds.

Movement:

None, but I still walked around Boo at the Zoo with my kids for a few hours.  

Outdoors:

Boo at the Zoo!

Play:

Spent a busy day with my kids at the zoo and then we played some games at night.

Meditation:

Wisdom card: "I freely express who I am"

Caffeine:

None!

Sunday 10/19:

Sleep:

about 5 hours, but that's my fault for staying up too late.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion and pepper, cooked in CO.  Bacon.

Meatball and vegetable soup.  Olives

More meatball and vegetable soup.

Movement:

None, but went to the zoo again and walked around.

Outdoors:

Zoo

Busy day and didn't have much time for anything else.

Monday 10/20

Rainy day and it just felt all around "blah"  Just feel depressed for no reason :(  

Sleep: 7+ hours

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/peppers, cooked in CO

Spinach, tomatoes, albacore tuna, EVOO/vinegar dressing.  Broccoli.  Carrots.  Apple.

Chicken breast cooked in CO.  Baked sweet potato. broccoli/cauliflower

Movement:

60 minutes of weight lifting

Outdoors:

none

Play:

not much

Meditation:

Reading some wisdom cards.

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee

Tuesday 10/12

The cold is not totally gone, but at least enough where I'm not popping pills anymore.  Tuesday was rough.  I had been picking at some of  my kids' Halloween candy from Sat-Mon and Tuesday I felt so depressed.  I've learned that refined sugar/hfcs will do that to me.  I fought depression for many years and it got better when I cleaned up my diet.  I found that the cheap, crap sugar was causing it.  So my slip-up over the weekend caused it and I know better than to eat that crap.  :(  Feeling better today (Wednesday)

Sleep was good last night.  Slept for about 8.5 hours.  Reigning in the caffeine intake.  I read that caffeine has a half life of 6 hours in your body.  Ouch.  So I need to make sure to have none or one cup first thing in the morning and then stop.  I was doing well with it for awhile, then I got carried away.

Food:

Scrambled eggs, onions, and peppers, cooked in CO

Chicken breast. Black Olives. Carrots. Broccoli. Celery. Grape tomatoes.

Meatball/tomato soup.  Steamed green beans.  Spinach/tomato salad with EVOO/balsamic dressing.

Movement/outdoors:

6-mile run.  I love running this time of year.  The weather is nice and the leaves are changing.  :)

Play:

Not much time since the kids had swimming lessons

Meditation:

About 5 minutes reading/thinking about the wisdom cards

Caffeine: 

None!

I'm jealous of your running right now, Fall is definitely a wonderful time to run!

Good observations on caffeine and sleep.

Don't beat yourself up over the candy, just move forward knowing the best thing is to keep it out of your diet.  Treat yourself with some fruit or something else if you feel like you need a treat.

• Moderators

Great observations about sugar. Sometimes in the moment even all the best information about later negative effects won't stop us. So, you've had your slip, learned from it again, and now you're stronger moving forward!

Another thing about coffee that keeps me away from it (most of the time) is that it leeches calcium from your bones. That's an image that works better than sleepless nights for me. 

You're doing great things for your body. Congrats!

Sara - I'm not really feeling guilty about the sugar.  I truly believe that it is a physiological response that makes me depressed.  Moving on though.

Ladym - ewww...leeching calcium.  yuck.  Thanks for the visual.  ;)  

Wednesday 10/22:

Sleep:

Slept well, but it was a little chopped up.  Slept for a couple of hours early, then woke up when my wife came to bed.  Stayed up with her a bit then went back to sleep.  Still, probably 2 hours, then 6 hours.

Food:

Scrambled eggs w/ onion and bell pepper, cooked in CO

Spinach/tomatoes w/ albacore tuna and EVOO/balsamic dressing.  Broccoli. Carrots. Small Banana

Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, ground beef, avocado.  Small apple

Cookie that my daughter decorated at her fall craft class :P  Couldn't turn down that. Although she did give me the smallest of the cookies because I'm "mean to her sometimes and mommy is nice to me everyday"   :wacko:

Movement:

60 minutes of strength training

Outdoors:

None

Play:

Went to fall craft class.  :)

Meditation:

A little bit of deep breathing and self reflecting before bed.

Caffeine:

None.

Thursday 10/23:

Yesterday was my "carb re-feed" or it ended up being that way ;)  Didn't really plan it, but after my 'longer' runs I crave them more.

Sleep:

Stayed up a little bit too late on the computer, but it didn't affect my sleep.  Fell asleep at 9ish, and woke up around 5ish this morning.  So yay.  Really starting to think that it was more of the caffeine that was keeping me up and not so much the electronics in the evening.  But I'm still going to make an effort to shut off electronics around 8.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper. cooked in CO

Tuna. Butternut squash (PoWO)

Spinach, tomatoes, ground beef, a little bit of white rice.  Small apple.

Steak, oven sweet potato 'fries', sauteed green beans

Movement/Outdoors:

12-mile run

20-minute walk with the dog

Play:

Nothing really

Meditation:

about 5 minutes thinking to myself before bed

caffeine:

1 C of coffee

Archived