Journey to a better me

Derek`

Juz, yeah, I guess I didn't think of it like that.  Corn is soooo plentiful here especially where I live (Ohio).  Other than the cities, the whole state is covered in corn or soybeans.  I guess if everyone did W30, my state's economy would crap.   -_-

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday 10/2:

Sleep:

Was tossing and turning while trying to get to sleep  :(  ended up taking a sleeping pill around 10.  So probably 6.5 hours of sleep.

Food:

5:30a Scarmbled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in coconut oil.

11:45a Spinach/cucumber salad w/ albacore tuna and avocado.  Cucumber slices.  Carrots.  Small Apple.

5:30p Spinach w/ oil/vinegar dressing.  Turkey Sausage. Steamed Green Beans.  White Rice.

7:00p was really hungry so I ate a few macadamia nuts :/

Movement:

10-mile run

20-minute walk with the dog

Play:

Not much :/

Meditation/self-improvement:

Spent about 15 minutes just thinking and trying to clear my mind

Outdoors:

run and walk

Caffeine:

2 cups of coffee

Friday 10/3

Just an observation about yesterday's lunch:

We had a lunch meeting for work.  People around me were eating the lunch that was provided: croissant sandwiches, pasta salad, big cookies, and pop.  I was happily eating the lunch that I packed.  I noticed that I spent way long eating my food than they did, and they probably packed away way more Calories than I did.  They probably felt sorry for me, but really I felt sorry for them and their afternoon heartburn, cravings, and energy slump.

Sleep:

Had trouble sleeping again last night.   :(  Probably 6 hours.

Food:

5:30a Scarmbled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in coconut oil.

12:00p Spinach salad w/ oil/vinegar dressing and albacore tuna.  Cucumber slices.  Small apple.

7:00p Roasted chicken (some dark and white meat) a ton of spinach/tomatoes with some oil/vinegar dressing

Movement:

Body Pump

Play:

None.  Got home late after the gym and had some stuff to do around the house while the kids were up. 

Outdoors:

None.  Was raining so the pooch and I didn't go for a walk

Meditation/Self-improvement:

Read my self-help book a bit

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee, 1 can of diet Pepsi

Saturday 10/4

Today was a pretty good day.  We started the day by taking the kids to do a 1-mile run/walk for charity.  It was fun.  Maybe next time we will do a 5k with them.  Then, spent most of the day helping my BIL move.  I knew we would be there over lunch time so I packed lunch for myself.  I needed something easy and non-messy and portable.  It wasn't the greatest meal, but still followed the meal template.  They ordered pizza in addition to all of the chips, Cheetos, cookies, Reese cups, etc.

Sleep:

6 hours.  Slept pretty well but was up earlier than I would have liked and couldn't fall asleep again.

Food:

6:30a Scrambled eggs with onion and pepper, cooked in coconut oil

1:30p Broccoli. Carrots. Almonds. Albacore Tuna. Banana

7:00p Roasted chicken.  Steamed spinach.  Spincah/tomato salad with oil/vinegar dressing.

Movement:

1-mile run/walk with the kids

60 minutes of running on my own

lots of loading/moving boxes and stuff

Play:

Spent some time playing LEGO and reading with the kids in the evening.

Outdoors:

Running :)

Spent a few minutes relaxing before bed.

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee, and way more diet dr. pepper than I should have drunk :(

Sunday 10/5

Sleep:

Was good.  :)

Food

6:30a Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in coconut oil

11:30a Spinach/tomato salad with chicken and oil/vinegar dressing.  Carrots. Celery.

5:30p Chicken, sauteed green beans.  Baked sweet potato.  Watermelon.

Movement:

It was my 'rest day,' though I did take the kids swimming.

Play:

Swimming was fun!

Outdoors:

Not a whole lot :/

-

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee

Monday 10/6

Sleep:

About 5 hours.  Stayed up too late watching football.  :rolleyes:

Food:

5:45a Chicken. Steamed okra.  Black olives.

12:00p Spinach/tomatoes with albacore tuna and oil/vinegar dressing.  Carrots.  Broccoli.

6:15p Spaghetti squash with homemade (compliant) tomato sauce.  Chicken.  Spinach/tomato with oil/vinegar dressing.  A few apple slices.

Movement:

Strength class

20-minute walk

Play:

Played some video games with my son since it was kind of yucky out

Outdoors:

my walk with the dog

Meditation/self improvement

spent about 15 minutes reflecting before bed.

Caffeine:

3 cups of coffee and 1 diet pop.  ugh.   :o

Tuesday 10/7

Sleep:

Slept really well for 8.5 hours.  I am looking into melatonin supplements for sleep support when I need it.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I know it's not ideal to have a crutch, but that is probably better than my prescription pills.  I think cutting off electronics by 8:30 is helping, as well as my hard rule of no caffeine after 11:00 (except on weekends, when I am a little more lax)

Food:

5:30a scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in coconut oil.  (Is anyone tired of reading this line yet ;) )

12:00p spinach/tomato with albacore tuna and avocado.  Carrots.  Broccoli.

6:00p turkey sausage. Sauteed green beans. Baked sweet potato. Watermelon

Movement:

5-mile run

Play:

Had a bit of fun times with my kids before swimming lessons

Outdoors:

running

Reading The Primal Blueprint before bed

Caffeine:

2 cups of coffee

8.5 hours sounds pretty good!  Maybe try letting your new routines settle in before adding something new?  Was the 8.5 with or without sleeping aids?

My personal experience with melatonin - It helped me fall asleep very quickly.  I would then wake up about 3-4 hours later, extremely paranoid (usually thinking someone was in my apartment), and unable to go back to sleep for hours.  I have similar reactions to TylenolPM, without the paranoia.  However, I know some people do really well with melatonin, it just wasn't for me.

Thanks, Sara.  Last night was no sleeping aids, but was probably because I was up later than normal on Sunday night.  My wife has a bottle of melatonin so maybe ti's something to try next time I'm having trouble sleeping.

Wednesday 10/8

I've been trying to cut back on the nuts.  The more I read about Omega6 polyunsaturated fat, I try to reserve nuts for emergencies or for when I truly need to take a snack somewhere and don't have access to refrigeration or a cooler.  I'm trying to stay out of the "Occasional" and "Limit" side of the ISWF Shopping list.  I see macadamia nuts and filberts in the "Best" column, but those are kind of expensive so maybe they can be a treat once in awhile.  I like avocados.  I also use olive oil in salad dressings.  I've pulled up my big boy pants and have tried olives again.  My whole life I was never crazy about them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick them off or out of something.  I bought a couple of jars this past weekend and have been eating some.  Not bad.  The ones I have are pretty salty though, so I will look and see if I can find a lower-salt variety.  

Confession time: I completely suck at my self-imposed month-long no-scale challenge!  I barely made it a week!  Ugh.  Slap my wrists!  Good news is that I'm down 2.4#

Sleep:

Had a little trouble falling asleep.  Always jealous when my wife is sawing logs and I'm tossing and turning.  Still, I was probably asleep by 10 and woke up a little after 5, so I'll call it 7 hours.  

Food:

Chicken breast.  Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce.  Black olives.

Turkey sausage.  Spinach/tomato/avocado.  Sauteed green beans.  Broccoli.  Carrots.

Pork chop cooked in EVOO.  Sauteed green beans in EVOO.  Baked Potato.  Watermelon

Movement:

Weight lifting at the gym tonight

Play:

Took my daughter to Fall craft class :)

Outdoors:

None

Reading some more of The Primal Blueprint

Caffeine:

2 cups of coffee in the morning and...

...I had a cup of tea at 3 in the afternoon.  I was dragging and really felt like I wasn't going to make it :( ugh ugh.  I still fell asleep okay at night.

I've been trying to limit the nuts/nut butters also.  It is just too easy to overeat them.

Hope the better sleep continues.  But I hear your pain, most nights my husband is asleep as his head hits the pillow.  Then he's snoring, which makes it harder for me to fall asleep.  But he has the awful wake up around 3-4 am and can't fall back to sleep thing.  Thank goodness I don't have that on the regular!

Thursday 10/9

Sleep:

Slept pretty well, once I managed to fall asleep.  Tried the melatonin since I felt like I needed it.  It helped me and I slept through the night.  So yay.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/peppers, cooked in coconut oil.

Pork chop.  Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce. Carrots. Spinach/tomato with EVOO/vinegar dressing

Hamburger.  Steamed asparagus.  Oven sweet potato "fries".  Apple slices.  A few olives.

Movement:

11-mile run

15 minute walk

Play:

Played outside with the kiddos.

Outdoors:

Run, walk, and playing.

Caffeine:

3 cups of coffee in the morning

Friday 10/10

Woke up today just feeling better.  Not that there was anything wrong lately, but I just felt good, physically and emotionally.   :)

Sleep:

Was good last night.  No complaints.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper cooked in coconut oil. Bacon.

Pork chop. Tomato/spinach with EVOO/vinegar dressing.  Celery. Broccoli. Apple.

Shredded beef with peppers.  Watermelon.  Spinach/tomato w EVOO/vinegar dressing  steamed asparagus.

Movement:

Faux Body Pump

Play:

Not much

Outdoors:

None

Spent some good time self reflecting :)

Caffeine:

2 cups of coffee

Haha.  It is basically body pump, but my gym must not pay for the rights to call it that officially and to have the official body pump soundtracks.  So we use the same types of bars and weights and the tracks are in the same order and everything.  

Saturday 10/11

Sleep:

8 hours :)

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion and jalapeno, cooked in CO.  Banana

Meatball/vegetable soup.  Broccoli.  Carrots.  Apple.  Olives.

Movement:

Speedwork Saturday: 10 min warmup, 30 min tempo run, 10 min cool down

Play:

Did a free wooden haunted house build thing with my son at Lowes; then went to Toys R Us for a free LEGO build thng.

Outdoors:

Caffeine:

Yesterday was bad :(  It started with just one cracker, then I just started a night-long binge on crap food :( 

I'm feeling it today.  Having all kinds of GI issues. Gas, bloating.  Skipped Meal1 this morning because I wasn't hungry.  Feeling mad at myself.  I need to type this all out so that I remember it.  Mad at myself because I really want to lose weight and last night I did not help myself.  Today will be better

Archived