Journey to a better me

Derek`

Friday 10/24

Sleep:

8+ hours.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in CO

Spinach/tomatoes with steak and bacon, EVOO/balsamic dressing.  Broccoli.  Carrots

Sauteed pork chop. Steamed green beans. Black olives

Movement:

Body Pump

15-minute walk

...don't remember everything else.  It's already Saturday afternoon as I type this.  :P

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday 10/25:

Sleep was good again.  Stayed up a little late but slept without a problem.  :)  Yay

Still have the cold a little bit.  Had a bad sinus headache in the afternoon.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in CO

Pork chop. Broccoli. Carrots.  Olives.

Turkey breast.  Sauteed green beans.  Potatoes/onions roasted in EVOO

Movement:

Speedwork Saturday: 8x800 ladder intervals.  whew.  It was tough!

Outdoors:

Raking the leaves :P

Play:

Went to a Halloween party at the gym with my kiddos.  Was nice for them because the focus wasn't completely on candy and junk.  They had little games for them and when they finished the games, they got little non-food prizes.  :)  Each kid did get a goody bag with fruit snacks, a sucker, and a couple of little treats but nothing like a huge snickers bar or crap like that.

Meditation:

The usual breathing/relaxation at night.

Caffeine:

None

Sunday 10/26:

Sleep was good.  

Food:

Turkey breast. Steamed Brussels Sprouts. Almonds.

Spinach/tomato salad with turkey thighs and avocado.  Celery. Carrots.

Pork chop. Steamed Broccoli/Cauliflower. Olives.

Movement:

None.  Had a bad sinus headache all day.

Outdoors:

None

Meditation:

Reading some in the self-help book I'm working through

Caffeine:

None

Monday 10/27

Sleep was okay.  Not great though.  Had some trouble falling asleep.  6-7 hours.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell peppers, cooked in CO

Spinach/tomato salad with turkey thigh and avocado.  Broccoli.  Carrots

Turkey breast. Steamed okra.  Spinach/bell pepper salad with EVOO/balsamic dressing.  small orange

Movement/outdoors:

5-mile run

20 minute walk with the dog

Play:

Pumpkin carving night! :)

Meditation:

some time before bed

Caffeine:

1 C of coffee

Tuesday 10/28

Sleep was good thanks to nyquil  :P

Tuesday afternoon I started feeling really really crappy.  Not sure if it was low-carb flu or just being sick.  May have been going overboard with low carb to try to lose weight.  Or not eating enough fat. I think I need at least a fruit or root veg every day.  Ate an apple as an afternoon snack (I know...not ideal, but I just felt like I needed the blood sugar) and a sweet potato at dinner.

Today will be fine since it's my birthday and I will have baked potato and ice cream cake at dinner ;)

Food:

Spinach/bell pepper salad with pork chop and EVOO/balsamic dressing

Spinach/tomato salad with turkey breast and avocado.  Broccoli.  Carrots. Celery

Apple

Turkey thighs (my wife made a hugeass turkey on Saturday so I've been eating it all week). Sauteed onion/pepper.  Baked sweet potato.  1/2 handful of almonds

Movement/outdoors:

Just a walk with the dog since I didn't feel well.

Play:

Swimming with the kids

Meditation:

a little self reflection/wisdom card time before bed

Caffeine:

2 C of coffee in the morning

• Moderators

I've been there with the too-low carb. I had to step back and wonder when I became so crazy that root veggies were on the limit list. Veggies! I definitely do better eating them later in the day and now I eat them daily and feel so much better. It is more than possible to overthink this. 

Happy birthday! Enjoy the heck out of that cake and baked potato!

Derek, I just found your log! I am so impressed with the work you have done and are doing still. Wow!

You asked about melatonin before. I use it sometimes at a pretty low dose when I have trouble sleeping. I usually take 3 mg or 1.5 mg. I think it helps me fall asleep, but also stay asleep so that I don't have those early wake-ups. I do feel a bit groggy in the morning when I first wake up if I take 3 mg. I think it is a good crutch, but not something I would take every night, since it is in fact a hormone with many more effects than just to promote sleep.

Happy belated birthday to you!

Wednesday 10/29

Eating was pretty good.  Had the ice cream cake but I'm paying for it today (Thursday).  My mood has fallen and I'm feeling really depressed.  I know it's the sugar.  Not in a sense that I feel guilty.  I mean real physiological something happening.  Honestly, I didn't want it much after dinner.  I was satisfied from my nomnomnom birthday dinner.  Having a hard time balancing social situations and eating.  People already think I'm orthorexic.  Ugh.  Mood is getting a little better as the morning goes on (it's 11 am now and I feel much better than I did at 7 am).

Told my wife that I had my indulgence for the month, and the next one would be a piece of pie at Thanksgiving.  That's when I got the "your new lifestyle is no fun" 

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in CO.

Pork chop.  Sauteed onion/bell pepper.  Carrots. Celery.  Black olives

Grilled salmon.  Roasted potatoes in EVOO.  Sauteed green beans.  ice cream cake

Movement:

Weights and 10 x 30-second sprints 

Outdoors:

Dog walking :P

Play:

Played outside with the kids for a bit

Caffeine:

1 C of coffee and some pop, which I paid for later.  

LadyM - I love sweet potatoes and white potatoes were one of the no-brainer things I added in post-W30, even though they are in W30 now.  Just need to remember to dial the fat back a little bit and go towards the lower end of the meal template on fat so that I don't eat too many calories by adding carbs.

jennor - thankis for the thoughts on the melatonin.  :)

Happy birthday.  And, sorry about the ice cream cake.  I am getting better at resisting the treats at events.  I just try to be low key about it but if anyone asks just say oh boy I'm stuffed!  I didn't do as well while traveling, though, with work people, when desserts were passed around the table.  I hate being conspicuous like that.  I know I am a grown up and can eat or not eat what I want, but the social pressure is still there.  Baby steps!   Hope you feel better soon.

Thursday 10/30

Thursday ended up being not so bad, despite starting out feeling really depressed from the sugar hangover.

It was Beggars' Night so that was fun.  We let the kids keep five pieces of candy each and then got rid of the rest.  It's more about dressing in costumes and the thrill of the chase for them.  Plus they know that they don't need all of the candy that they got.  I wasn't tempted at all by the candy so that's good.

sleep hasn't been very good this week :(

Food:

Turkey breast. Steamed Broccoli.  Almonds

Steak. Sauteed onions/peppers. Green beans.  Black olives

Chipotle bol with rice, beef, lettuce, onions/peppers, guacamole, and salsa.

Movement/Outdoors:

8-mile run

Meditation:

Got in a little bit of meditation time before bed.

Caffeine:

1 cup coffee

Thursday 10/31

Good day.  No candy.  Everything is back to normal.  Had some tummy issues because of Chipotle last night.  I forgot what Chipotle does :(

Forgot to mention that during trick or treat, some random lady (she must see me walking the dog in the neighborhood or something) came up and said "You've lost a lot of weight; you look good."  Always nice to hear  :wub:

Sleep was so-so.  Maybe 7 hours.  I forgot to set m alarm so luckily I heard my wife get up.

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in CO

Steak.  Sauteed onon/pepper.  Celery.  Black olives. Apple

Chicken. Spinach/tomatoes with EVOO/balsamic dressing.  Banana

Movement:

Weights at the gym.  No body pump because all afternoon classes were cancelled for Halloween I guess.

Outdoors:

None.  Icky wet and cold weather all day :(

Meditation:

Plan to before bed.  

Not much time for play today.  Busy busy.

Caffeine:

None

Thanks, Meadowlily!  Welcome to my little corner of the forum

Saturday 11/1

Sleep was so-so.  Had some trouble falling asleep.

Weighed in for the month.  167.9.  Goal was 168.  (was at 174.4 at the beginning of the month).  Trying for 162 in November!

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/peppers, cooked in CO

Spinach, tomatoes, chicken thighs, avocado.  Broccoli. Carrots.

Chicken breast, baked gold potatoes, black olives

Movement/Outdoors:

Speedwork Saturday: 10 min jog, 35 min tempo run, 10 min jog

Play:

Had fun with my son at his Cub Scout regatta and his building workshop at Home Depot

Meditation:

A little bit before bed.  I was exhausted though.

Caffeine:

1 C of coffee

Sunday 11/2

Sleep was just fine, especially with the time change.

Food:

Scrambled eggs w/ onion/bell pepper.  Cooked in CO

Chicken breast.  Spincah/tomato/avocado salad.  Carrots.  Pineapple

Pork Goulash, white rice.  Sauteed green beans

Movement:

Weight lifting, walking the dog

Outdoors:

Walking the dog

Play:

Was a pretty relaxing day with the family

Meditation:

None

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee

Monday 11/3

Sleep was very good again, but I woke up an hour early (not surprising, I guess)

I am headed out of town for a funeral this morning so I will pack my lunch and eat it on the way for an early lunch (It's about a 1.5-hour drive) so I can try and stay good and compliant and not eat whatever's being served.

Haven't felt that great since dinner last night.  There was yogurt in the goulash, so maybe I'm having some acid reflux due to that?  felt bloated since dinner and have the acid reflux this morning :(

Food:

Scrambled eggs with onion/bell pepper, cooked in CO

(While driving - I hate to do that but it seemed like about the only choice).  Chicken breast.  Almonds.  Broccoli. Celery. Carrots

Turkey sausage.  Rice.  Steamed Okra.  Black olives.  small orange.

Movement:

5-mile run

Still was exhausted from the time change I think.  Went to bed early

Tuesday 11/4

Sleep was so so.  Fell asleep early and easily, then woke up when wife came to bed and had trouble falling back asleep.  Probably 2 hours plus 6.5 hours.

Yesterday I was feeling somewhat sad again.  I haven't eaten anything funky.  Don't know if it's just the time change and loss of sunlight?  :(  Trying to push through.

Food:

the usual M1

Spinach/tomato salad with avocado and albacore tuna.  Celery. Broccoli. Carrots.

Spinach/tomato salad with guacamole, ground beef, and rice.

Movement/outdoors:

5-mile run

Play:

Not much.  Trying to keep up with housework this week since we will be gone over the weekend.

Meditation:

A little bit of relaxation breathing before bed.

Caffeine:

1 cup of coffee

Archived