flapjacks

alissaks

I know we are not supposed to have paleo treats while on the Whole30.  Would this recipe (minus the maple syrup) be okay for breakfast or considered a treat?  Prior to the Whole30, I probably made paleo pancakes once a month, at the most, so I don't think this leads me anywhere unhealthy but on Day 11, I certainly don't want to mess anything up.  If I'm gonna mess up, it better be with a glass of wine being poured down my throat!  :)

Not for your Whole30.  That is textbook "Sex with your pants on"

From the Whole30 rules,

Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.  - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.6LvRkMhm.dpuf

9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 3825 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Making a pancake in any form on a Whole30 is not compliant. See Whole30 rules and here are the details from the Whole30  Can I Have Guide:

"Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored. Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.You may not have an affinity forpancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule thesePaleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2....HFJu3wlI.dpufI

If you're exhausted by eggs, take a break from eating them.   :)  Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast for boatloads of ideas for non-egg breakfast options.

Archived