I work earlier in the day than a lot of people, and I don't go to bed very early.  My sleep pattern is not an issue, I'm getting plenty of sleep.  I just can't seem to get enough to eat.  I have a Larabar, typically, with some veggies, water, and coffee for breakfast around 5:30am-6:30am.  I work in PST and work with people in CST, so around 9:30am I start getting hungry again.  I end up eating "lunch" between 9:30am and 10:30am, sometimes I can push it until 11am, but by then I am mighty crabby.  Then I find that I eat something small between 2pm and 4pm.  Typically this is nuts, fruit, another Larabar, or something along those lines.  Finally dinner between 5pm and 7pm, depending on what I'm cooking and when I get hungry.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and if it matters that I am not really on a "normal" food schedule.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What do you do to not eat between meals?

• Moderators

First, Larabars are emergency food -- as in, there's nothing else available. They definitely don't have enough protein for breakfast.

All your meals should meet the meal template. Snacks, if you do need them, should be mini meals with smaller portions of protein, fat, and veggies.

For breakfast, try having 3-4 eggs with your veggies, or leftover meat from the night before, and be sure you have enough fat at that meal too. I think if you do that, you'll find it's easy to go 4-5 hours between meals and that you may be hungry by the time your next meal rolls around, but you won't be crabby.

4-5 hours after breakfast, have a full lunch, even if it seems early for lunch.  So if you eat breakfast at 6 am lunch at 10-11 am. You want your last meal of the day to be at least two hours before bed time, more is fine, but don't eat supper and go to bed in an hour. You may need four meals, depending on when you feel hungry and when you go to bed at night, but again, it should still meet the template, just in a smaller portion size.

Ditto Shannon - replace those Larabars with protein and that should help a lot. It isn't the schedule that's necessarily a problem, but rather what you're eating. Some Larabars are technically Whole30-compliant, but they're still sugar bombs to your brain (as would be a handful of dates). In me, they produce a sugar spike and crash just like anything else that sweet. I rarely keep them around; I find Epic bars better for emergency food, because they're almost all protein (not all flavors are Whole30-compliant, but some are).

You'll still need to play around with your meal schedule. If you do get hungry between meals, have a mini-meal - you want at least protein and fat, plus some vegetables too if that works. I like hard-boiled eggs with a little mayo and sea salt, for one idea, but whatever floats your boat. Meal leftovers works great too. Eating only nuts is "food without brakes" and/or messes with digestion for a lot of people; eating only fruit just gets you the sugar spike without real satiety.

• Administrators

Sorry, I'm jumping on the "revise your meal content" bandwagon.  I also eat breakfast just before 6:30am.  I often think my breakfast is HUGE (palm meat-based protein + 2 eggs, veggies and 2 thumbs fat) but it gets me easily through to about 12.  Lunch is similarly large and then we typically have dinner at 6:30.  I also drink bone broth throughout the day which I feel gets me a teeny little bit further but is considered a healthy beverage (like tea) on W30 and not a snack.

The freedom from hunger and thinking about food that you will grant yourself by changing your meal composition and size is huge!

Good luck!

• Moderators

You have gotten a lot of great feedback already. :)

It is okay to eat 4 or even 5 meals per day if you are getting hungry. I ate 4-6 meals per day at first. Now I eat 3 meals comfortably and only add a fourth meal on days I work out. The key is to eat more when you find yourself getting hungry.

Stop eating larabars. They are not okay in your situation. 

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I understand your thoughts and discussion around Larabars, I have found that it's the way I've been able to get something in the morning.  I don't eat eggs, hard-boiled or otherwise, but finding other sources of protein in the morning are difficult and I was thinking having something (they are compliant) was better that nothing.

Again, very much appreicate the feedback and I'll certainly take heed of your suggestions.  I just need something fairly quick and easy in the morning.  A breakfast bar is just that.

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I understand your thoughts and discussion around Larabars, I have found that it's the way I've been able to get something in the morning.  I don't eat eggs, hard-boiled or otherwise, but finding other sources of protein in the morning are difficult and I was thinking having something (they are compliant) was better that nothing.

Again, very much appreicate the feedback and I'll certainly take heed of your suggestions.  I just need something fairly quick and easy in the morning.  A breakfast bar is just that.

Hmmm... honestly, one may be better off having no breakfast at all than having a Larabar for breakfast.  I am not suggesting you do that, but just so you know -- yes, it really is that bad to start your day off that way.  You are spiking your blood sugar just like eating a candy bar for breakfast -- and I don't know you, but I am pretty sure you probably wouldn't do that.  ;)  This sets you up for ups and downs with your blood sugar for the rest of the day.  This sets you up for cravings, and it sets you up for that "hangry" situation that we'd all rather avoid.

Your best bet:  Leftovers.  ~Whatever~ you had the day/night before, it will take about 1 minute to warm up in the microwave.  Or if you prefer, maybe 5-10 minutes on the stove while you are doing other things.  It really is that simple -- it's just a matter of changing your thinking.  Good luck!

Archived