Restless legs - Epsom salt hot baths

Hi, I am new. and on day 10 of Whole30. My weight is down 5%, most all of my cravings have been nixed and for the first time in my life --- finally I am starting to feel like I am the one in control!  Wow the Restless Legs (RLS) at night though!  Uggh!  I thought I was going to absolutely lose my mind after three days of it.  I see there is a Magnesium connection but I was already taking that at night. Last night I took a super hot bath in Epsom Salts and I had enormous relief from that.  The Magnesium in the Epsom Salts gets immediately absorbed by the skin which is what I needed!  

I also bought the book for my daughter and a friend and will be sure to tell them to stock up on the Epsom Salts!

My weight is down 5%

WHAT? Congrats on figuring out that Espom salts baths help your legs, that's awesome. Now stop weighing yourself. There is know way to know what percentage you have lost without doing that, and it is against the rules of the whole30. That's not an optional rule. If you want to do the whole30 stay off the scale until you are done.

Oops! :o Only later did I realize I confessed that!  Thanks for the advise but it motivates me and corrects what I am doing so for me not weighing just doesn't work.  I do understand the whys of rule though!   ;)  My condition requires the weight loss but that isn't the only reason I am on it.  If the weight loss stops gotta switch gears.  Thanks!

Thanks for the advise but it motivates me and corrects what I am doing so for me not weighing just doesn't work. 

Nope.  This is exactly why you shouldn't be weighing yourself. Weight loss is not a linear process. It is very possible to be perfectly on track while still "gaining" a pound or five from one day to the next. "Correcting" for this might cause you to under fuel (which stops weight loss), when all you needed was a little time to digest. Relying on the scale for motivation only works when the scale is cooperating. Not looking at the scale helps people to learn to trust their own hunger and satiety signals and get to a place that is sustainable long-term. Weighing yourself during the whole30 is cheating yourself of a major benefit of the program.

I had a lot of RLS before going on my whole30.  I believe it was due to sugar.  It seems to be especially bad after I eat something chocolate-ly for dessert.  Since doing a whole30 and now sticking mostly to it, I sleep soooo much better.  I never get RLS...except when I eat something with sugar in it. 

After about a week on Whole 30, I was having terrible leg cramps plus RLS.  I tried supplements, Apple cider vinegar, stretching before bedtime, etc.  Nothing helped so I knew something was missing from my diet. Then I remembered a very fit friend who ran his first 5K and literally curled up in a ball with horrible leg cramps after it.  The medics asked about the water he drinks at home and during his training (and during the race).  Bottled or filtered, of course.  They recommended he start drinking spring or mineral water for the trace elements found in those.  So I started drinking nothing but spring water and after three days, I was cramp- and RLS free!  YAY! Haven't had a problem since the switch. I still use the ice in my in-the-door dispenser but I'm sticking to Spring water from now on. Hope this helps someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had RLS for a long time and finally after years and years, realized it was due to the stupid Benadryl I was taking every night to sleep!

But, last night on day 4 of Whole30 I had RLS! What the heck? I haven't had it in at least a year. Wonder what that was about?

Archived