German Rock Sugar?

Mallory.Williamson

Can I have German Rock Sugar on the whole 30? German rock sugar (when melted down) is digested in the body as a complex carbohydrate, therefore avoiding those simple carbohydrate "sugar-highs" and short bursts of energy. Complex carbohydrates have a lower glycemic load released at a more consistent rate.

I am on day 27, and my life is changed.

Can I have German Rock Sugar on the whole 30? German rock sugar (when melted down) is digested in the body as a complex carbohydrate, therefore avoiding those simple carbohydrate "sugar-highs" and short bursts of energy. Complex carbohydrates have a lower glycemic load released at a more consistent rate.

I am on day 27, and my life is changed.

Mallory, I hope you didn't sneak a taste during your 27 days.  

German Rock Cane sugar is a natural unrefined sugar that is made from beets, not from sugar cane. It retains the brown hue because that is essentially the ingredient that is refined out to make molasses. The sugar does provide a pleasant sweetness to your tea however it should be noted that it does come at an additional caloric cost. One teaspoon of German rock cane sugar contains 25 calories, whereas one teaspoon of white granulated sugar only contains 16 calories. 

We grow sugar beets in my neck of the woods.  The sugar that our beet company sells is dark brown and must be very similar to this.  It is sugar through and through, even though it's made from sugar beets.

Chemically speaking table sugars refined from cane and beet sugar are quite similar, but there is a minute chemical difference that worries some cooks. Cane sugar may caramelize better than beet, but the difference may not be noticeable to most. (That doesn’t mean that highly skilled cooks and industry professionals wouldn’t notice the difference). The main source of contention seems to be the behavior of beet sugar in baking. 

Archived