an argument for meal planning (and against LARA bars)

TheWholeEmily

Today was my Whole30 day 8, and I woke up with only 20 minutes to parent my toddler, dress my body, eat breakfast, and show up at my yoga class. So I grabbed a LARA bar on the way out the door, because I had no other readily-available option (read: I did not meal plan/prepare for no-prep breakfasts).

I have been suffering ever since. Headaches, endless desire to sleep, inability to sleep, sugar cravings, and did I mention headaches and low energy?

Never again. Bring on the pre-boiled eggs.

I hear you on those bars. Those things make me want to just binge on sugar, and make me feel like crap. They are like candy! I usually shovel down a can of tuna before I do Crossfit in the morning... while my kids are trying to murder each other... I'm amazed I ever get there! I recommend always have canned tuna in your house as well. That's a life saver for me!

• 2 months later...

Lara Bars are all natural, but they're also not template. For some people it's the amount of dates or nuts, for others it's just the unbalance without the template.

Best for emergencies only, and if you know they muck you around, an emergency tin of tuna might be safer :)

• Moderators

I gave up even emergency LARABARS awhile back. Now I keep Epic bars and RXBars (includes significant protein from egg whites) for emergencies. But truth be told, a tin of sardines in water is even better. All you need is a fork and a napkin. It never seems appealing but when I open one I am surprised everytime just how tasty they are.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up even emergency LARABARS awhile back. Now I keep Epic bars and RXBars (includes significant protein from egg whites) for emergencies. But truth be told, a tin of sardines in water is even better. All you need is a fork and a napkin. It never seems appealing but when I open one I am surprised everytime just how tasty they are.

Well that's interesting! I don't think I could do it first thing in the morning, though. I've worked up to chicken and beef in lieu of eggs, but I can't yet stomach fish and I don't think I could handle sardines. Do you add anything to make it fit the template, or eat them just as is?

Well that's interesting! I don't think I could do it first thing in the morning, though. I've worked up to chicken and beef in lieu of eggs, but I can't yet stomach fish and I don't think I could handle sardines. Do you add anything to make it fit the template, or eat them just as is?

Sardines are really tasty. Their name seems to conjur negative flavor connotations. Try coating them with arrowroot flour(or tapioca flour) and pan fry until crispy on the outside ( recipe from one of the Well Fed cookbooks) - top with a fried egg and a side of sauteed veggies and you have a yummy breakfast or just add a side of raw veggies if eating out of the tin on the go.

• Moderators

Archived