Communion

caryleaston

• Moderators

You're definitely allowed to take communion -- Whole30 doesn't trump religious stuff. If you google Whole30 communion, you'll find it's been addressed before.

Some people try to get gluten-free wafers/bread, others just take what is usually offered.

You should take a look at this thread. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15368-oops-communion-bread-not-wafer/?hl=communion

If you want to be strict about gluten elimination, and you ate gluten today, then  I would consider a restart. If I ate a communion wafer worth of gluten, I'd get sick because I'm gluten intolerant. I would talk to your minister about having a gluten free option. 

Otherwise you'll be eating gluten four times on the Whole 30 and that is ...well...not a Whole 30. 

regardless of what the rules say

The rules say you can take communion.

Deb has a point, of course, but the Hartwigs are very clear that communion is allowed.  If your religious expression allows for skipping it four Sundays in a row, or if your church offers a gluten free option, that would be ideal from an elimination diet perspective, but either way you are still complying with the rules of the program.

Archived