Started today, 9/29...plotting day 31, 10/29, celebration!

rhymeswithorange

It was a bit touch and go this morning (no hard-boiled eggs in my office cafeteria?!), but fortunately, I'm on track. So far, feeling good. Got my grocery shop on and I'm stocked up for week one. Now that I'm actually reading ingredient lists, I'm pretty sure that 95% of the "food" in a typical grocery store is off limits. Tough. But, I've been in the planning stage for long enough so I'm ready for the next 30 days!

Not sure if I'll actually update this daily, but I wanted to mark my first day and celebrate my first success!

10/14: Day 16...officially past the halfway mark!

Thought I'd pause to reflect on why I'm doing this and whether I'm seeing results:

1) Difficulty focusing at work - This week has been a bit hectic in terms of deadlines so I'm not sure if that's been driving more action on my part. That said, I've definitely been highly productive this week. 4 out 5 (started at a 2.5)

2) Lack of energy - I'm not sure I'm necessarily seeing a huge difference here. 3 out of 5 (started at a 2.5)

3) General pain - This is the most important one for me and this is where I feel like I'm making the least progress. 2 out of 5 (started at a 1)

I'm being patient, will definitely give it the full 30 days and continue to celebrate each day as a mini-victory! And improvement in #1 on my list is encouraging.

10/22: Day 24...hard to believe how quickly this is going! Overall energy and focus are good. Pain is better, more manageable. I've been asked several times what has been the hardest part...what food do I crave the most? The hardest part has actually been the time commitment to shop for groceries, cook, and clean dishes all the time. I feel it most after I get home from a long work day and all I want to do is eat something that requires as little effort as possible. So, the good news is that the food cravings haven't been as difficult as I anticipated. Nice surprise!

10/29...Day 31!! Or, Day of Victory!! Can't believe it went by so quickly. I'll take a moment to reflect...before I go tear into the pizza waiting for me. My conclusions:

1) Overall, I'm incredibly proud of myself. Big commitment and I stuck it out through some very tough evenings of late dinners and even later dish washing. 

2) I'm pleased with my results. Focus and energy have improved. Not a magical pain-killer, but the pain certainly didn't get worse. And I lost five pounds - side benefit as this was not my focus. Overall, not transformative as others experienced, but definitely contributed to improved quality of life these last couple weeks.

3) Whole30 is not a dietary change - it's a lifestyle change. Can't emphasize enough how much I underestimated this.

4) I like having projects with clear rules, goals, and end dates.

5) Will I keep up with these eating habits? Definitely won't go whole hog Whole30, but I'd like to think that I'll cut back significantly on processed foods, grains, and sugar. No promises about dairy and alcohol, though. :)

And I hope future me remembers this - it's always a good idea to ask for support.

Archived