PMS strikes!

smashinash3900

Today is day 22 and things are going awesome. I've followed the plan perfectly and am loving the way I feel. But today pms hit me something terrible. And I found myself binging on raisins today at work. This past weekend I discovered plantain chips at Sprouts and have been bingeing on those as well. I don't want to undo all my hard wprk that I've put in over the past 22 days. Does anyone have any advice on how to curb my pms cravings? I'm hungry all the time too. What can I do?

Eat more carbs in the days/week leading up to your period - and by that I mean sweet potatoes, potatoes or pumpkin, rather than technically-compliant but not psychologically healthy commercial plantain chips :).

Also, just eat more in general if you're hungry.

I just started today and have wicked pms. My periods are irregular 33-47 days) so I'm never really sure when the cravings beats will rear it's ugly head. Last night I went chocolate crazy and then this morning woke up with my period (35 days). I will have to figure something out. I really, really, really hope going through this will help with the insane feelings I get during evil pms.

@desingal

So yesterday was hard!! I was cravings carbs/sweets so bad. So I put on my big girl panties and made me a GIANT batch of butternut soup and seriously it was like medication. Just what I needed and today has been so much better. I'm not due to start my next cycle until 10/7 so I was like, there is no way that I can stay compliant when I am craving like this!! Thankfully, I think the carbs from the soup and also some fat from half of an avacado really helped!! Don't give up!!! This is one of the main reasons I did Whole30 too. But I'll be damned if I'm going to let my PMS call the shots anymore!!! Good luck! :wub:

I totally get it! The same thing struck me over the weekend as I literally ate an entire bag of apples along with 7 Lara Bars within a 3 day stretch. It never cease to amaze how it sneaks up on you. I really don't have any suggestions because obviously I don't have a grasp on it either. Just keep going, and hopefully by next month the hormonal benefits on the Whole30 will kick in.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Nicole Lee said:

PMS is evil! I want to make compliant (but not allowed on the plan) snacks so bad! It's a very similar feeling to a nicotine craving when you are trying to quit. 

Be sure you're eating enough in general -- most women find that in the week or so leading up to their period and maybe the first day or two of it, they need more food, sometimes even twice as much as they normally eat. This is normal, your body is gearing up to possibly grow a small human, it's craving nutrients that it will need if that happens (even if you are on birth control and know it's not going to happen). If nothing else, try eating an extra helping of starchy vegetable each day, but if that's not enough, go ahead and increase your meals, or throw in an extra meal. 

Archived