Using bacon as fat

leahcarn

If you mean the bacon itself, rather than its rendered fat, it depends on how lean the bacon is and how you cook it.  If you cook it in its fat, in a pan, then as it crisps it will absorb back some of its fat.  My best guess would be four slices to the "thumb" as long as the rendered fat remains in the pan when you're done.  If you cook it on a grid/rack in an oven and let the fat drip onto a pan below, it will count as less fat.  Stirring other things into the fat and cooking with it is like using any oil.

Thanks, I was just about ready to ask the same question! I used 2 slices of "compliant" (hooray!) bacon in my frittata this morning as my fat and cooked everything in it. Happy to hear I could have used more!  But saving it cos it was kind of expensive...

As I'm generally adding bacon as a side to eggs or with something else that is pretty fatty (like a burger) I usually limit myself to 2 slices. Your mileage may vary. Remember to go by your own personal context. If you are getting 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry with your choices then your choices are working for you.

Archived