Honest Whole30 mistake. Do I have to start over?

eden505

Today I made an honest mistake, actually it was a major brain fart. I'm on day 16 of my whole30 and I used some sausage that I buy from a local organic farm in our dinner. After I had eaten about half of my dinner a light bulb went on and I realized that the sausage was probably made with sugar. I dug the package out of the trash and yes, cane syrup was the second to the last ingredient. I was SUPER bummed! I'm not sure if I should start over again, it feels pretty overwhelming.

I've seen it said that sugar ingested by mistake does not require a restart. 

Gluten, dairy, legumes etc, yes, but sugar, no. From the link that Chris posted above you will find this and I believe this applies to you. 

Do I Really Have to Start Over?

Answer #4: We can see a circumstance in which you wouldn’t.

The rule about added sugar is clear—you may consume none during the program. This isn’t because two grams of sugar in ketchup is going to send you spiraling into metabolic derangement or trigger an autoimmune response. It’s because we want you to be aware of how often companies sneak sugar into products, and to understand that a few grams here and a few grams there add up, and to teach you to read your labels, and to force you to look for (or make) healthier, sugar-free alternatives to your favorite products.

So maybe you find yourself at Mom’s house for dinner on Day 28 asking, “Hey Mom, any sugar in this salad dressing?” And your mom says no, all clear, and you have a lovely family dinner. And as you’re cleaning up, Mom says, “There wasn’t sugar, but there was honey—that’s not the same though, honey is natural.”

In this context, you’ve done everything you can do. You asked the right questions, got the right answers, and proceeded exactly on plan with the Whole30. As added sugar is unique in that it won’t disarm your “reset” button (and salad dressing isn’t likely to send you spiraling into sugar cravings), we can see a decision (especially on Day 28) to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Which brings us to the next point:

Answer #5: Do whatever you want, because you’re a grown-up.

Start over, don’t start over… it’s always up to you. We’re going to give you our best recommendations based on science and our vast experience, but no one is going to come to your house to check up on you, and no one is monitoring your Whole30 Daily emails to make sure you push the right button. The decision (like the consequences) are always yours and yours alone.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/#sthash.Ymz6Qsbs.dpuf

Thanks! I haven't decided if I'm starting over or not. Right now I'm just sticking to the Whole30 rules and counting from my original start date AND the date of my mess up. Maybe I'll just make it a Whole45.

Archived