Day 17. Life stinks. Just give me pizza and let me SLEEP.

teviag

Today... *sigh* Truth be told, I'm better today. But as someone who has started, stopped, re-started, stopped, re-started AGAIN, STOPPED. Again. Annnnnnd FINALLY started again...and THIS time, I'm going through until I see Day 30....I have a few things I've learned under my belt now... Just go ahead and call me "Doctor W-3-0". (Not really, but seriously...me and Whole 30 have gotten to know each other pretty well now. It's a mutual love/hate relationship.) 

My first week was great. Even with the headaches, the lethargy, the dizzying hunger, the "Kill all the things" episodeS... Still, I felt BETTER after a few days. (Imagine how bad I was feeling if THAT felt good?) 

My 2nd week- I was flying high. Energy...badaBOOM...proud of myself for finding new recipes and ways of enjoying veggies and meat...loving that I had started a new workout regimen and sticking with it, and just feeling that zoom of energy and GOOD in my body. 

And then... Day 15.  Wait. Actually... it was day 12- That was the day. I had to skip my Friday workout due to a super hectic schedule and couldn't fit it in. Saturday was the same. SHOOT!! Missed two days. UGH. So the plan: Workout on Sunday and catch up by Monday. Cool. Sunday I did my "Friday" Workout... THEN...Day 15. Suddenly, every muscle in my body was drained, weak and exhausted. And I was tired. And I hated everything and everyone. And life is terrible. And I just want a cookie. A slice of pizza. And a coke. And my pajamas.

I went home and cooked a delicious veggie lasagna (eggplant, zuchinni, ground beef, onions, tomatoes... mama mia was it good!) -hoping this would cure that insane craving for cheese pizza I'd suddenly had for 2 days straight. CHEEEEESSSSE PIZZA. 

It's odd, see, because I don't typically care about pizza. I like it alright, but it's not something I just CRAVE... until now. So... I spent 2 hours cooking in my kitchen- partly because of the recipe ideas I wanted to try, and partly because there's something about cooking that I just enjoy. It sort of puts me in a different element and takes me away from "real life" for awhile. But then, I realized I had just spent TWO HOURS cooking and barely had time for anything else I needed to get done that evening. And WHY were my muscles so sore? And why was I suddenly SOOO tired and exhausted? And I don't feel good at all! UGH. I ate my delicious lasagna... got sick at my stomach not long after that (not stomach ache, but a sudden onslaught of...uh.oh.) and figured it was something in the lasagna I cooked??? But everything I cooked was fresh, just bought, nothing bad... so that's weird. And I don't know when the last time was I've been sick at my stomach like that...'twas bad, y'all. At this point, the angel and the devil on my shoulder had a fight and the angel felt sympathy for me and the devil agreed that this was NOT a good night to work out, and the guilty conscience was saying "You're gonna kick yourself later", But the angel said "Give yourself a break. You're not feeling good. Your muscles hurt. You've been doing great. It's ok. Get back on track tomorrow." So I skipped my Monday workout. (This is 3 workouts now.) 

Tuesday. I hate life. I hate you. And I hate you. And I hate all of you. And I hate working at my cushy job with my cushy desk and my cushy obligations...(I'm typing this at work, at my desk, in my office. You understand what I mean by "cushy" now.) And I just want to go. to. bed. I want to sleep. and sleep. and sleep. and I kind of still want a Coke. And I want a brownie. And I want to sleep. And I keep reading these Whole 30 daily posts about how awesome I'm suppose to be feeling. And I just stare and wonder...what is wrong with me? Why am I not feeling any different or better? Why don't I feel like I've lost weight? Why am I SO. STINKING. TIRED? WHY DO I WANT CHOCOLATE???? 

I've kept a pretty strict journal of my daily food. I've been ridiculously careful. I've been working out (except for the past 3-4 days with Sunday in between.) I've been doing all of it right. Except sleep. 

My sleeping patterns are atrocious, ok? I can plan and plan to be in bed by 10:30pm and I will ALWAYS find something necessary to do that will keep me up til 11, 12am, 1am....and I end up getting 6 hours or less sleep time. Yeah. It's terrible because I love sleep. My body requires a natural 8 hour sleep pattern. I know this because I've purposely slept without an alarm until I wake up naturally, and it's always exactly 8 hours. Not only that, but I am NOT a morning person. I have made numerous attempts to be one, and I am not. Do not like mornings, Sam, I am. 

Sleep, I have not been a good friend to you. I have neglected you, ignored you, overlooked you, discounted you. We haven't spent enough time together. And I miss you. 

Tuesday was BAD. I was so tired...cranky...miserable... during my lunch break I took a 15 minute snooze. Listen, I. DON'T. DO. THAT. This is how bad it was: When I got off at 4, I went home- I went straight to bed and completely passed out for almost 2 hours. I would have stayed asleep for who knows how long, except my husband startled me awake because it was time to go set up for our class we teach on Tuesdays. I made a promise to myself at that point: Regardless of what needs to be done, when I get home tonight, I will have a small bite of supper, and then I will go straight to bed. Even if I don't go to sleep right away, I'll at least be in bed, reading, relaxing, until time to go to sleep. Because right now, I hate everything. I'm miserable, and I don' t feel good and I just want to sleep. 

Let me tell all of you on Whole 30, if you are having trouble, if you're halfway through like me, and you want to give in, DON'T. If you're fighting cravings, exhaustion, moodiness, do yourself a favor: Go. To. Sleep. 

I never realized how important it was, especially during a detox like Whole 30. But sleep is SO important. It affects your mood, energy, cravings, everything... 

Today I woke up before my alarm. I didn't feel exhausted. I feel stronger, better (smarter, faster...sing it with me.)... I love people again. It's great. 

So, I've been rambling all through this post to say...if you're halfway through and you're not feeling great and frustrated and wondering why you don't have tiger blood yet, and why you want pizza and a Coke? You need to sleep. Trust me. (Also check your diet to make sure you're not eating too much fruit.) But seriously, try taking a nap. Even if you have to skip a workout...sleep will make those muscles feel all better. Don't give in to the craving, don't quit, don't punch anyone. Just go home, put on your most comfortable pj's, turn the lights out and the fan on...and go. to. sleep. Zzzzzzzzzzz........... -_- Sweet dreams! 

For sore muscles - take a magnesium supplement.  We recommend Natural Calm (unflavoured) around these parts.  You could also take a bath with epsom salts (naturally contain magnesium)

Also on workout days makes sure to include a pre-workout and a post work out meal.  Pre workout it's recommended to have a fat + protein (eggs+mayo are great for this) and post would be a starchy veg +protein (think sweet potato and cooked chicken breast - use very little fat)

Had not even thought about the pre/post workout meals...The eggs and mayo though? Umm... I'll at least consider it...the appetizing factor is weighing in here. I'm rarely hungry when I workout so this is something I would have to consciously make efforts to do- 

So: Preworkout: Fat/Protein, Postworkout: Starch/Protein Got it.  Thank you!

I'm on day 17 today. Last week I was sleeping like a baby and wasn't really feeling any cravings and was feeling awesome! For some reason, though, the past few nights have been very restless. I've still been pretty energetic during the day, but I'd rather have restful deep sleep. Today at work, someone brought cookies from Subway and all my coworkers were eating them. The perpetrators are my friends and I wanted to smite them. I also just really want a beer right now too (pumpkin ale is on special at the bar I attend a weekly trivia night). But I am staying strong and focusing on the finish line! But I feel you girl on wanting to go to bed and eat ALL THE THINGS. Stay strong!

the appetizing factor is weighing in here.

Do you like hard-boiled eggs, at all?  Do you like deviled eggs?  

We cut a hard-boiled egg in half, spread my homemade mayo on each half, then sprinkle generously with garlic salt from our grinder, or another spice blend that I have in a grinder that says "steak & chops" -- but we have discovered it is good on just about anything.  Paprika is good on it, too.

This is so good, it's like a treat to me.  I use it pre-workout sometimes, or it is just perfect for the kids to have a quick snack.  If I am starving while cooking supper, sometimes I will have one to hold me over.  ...Anyway, maybe we are weirdos.   :D   Just wasn't sure what you were picturing... but it's really just a lot like eating deviled eggs.  Or you could also make a mini egg salad out of it, just mashing up the ingredients in a bowl.

Do you like hard-boiled eggs, at all?  Do you like deviled eggs?  

We cut a hard-boiled egg in half, spread my homemade mayo on each half, then sprinkle generously with garlic salt from our grinder, or another spice blend that I have in a grinder that says "steak & chops" -- but we have discovered it is good on just about anything.  Paprika is good on it, too.

This is so good, it's like a treat to me.  I use it pre-workout sometimes, or it is just perfect for the kids to have a quick snack.  If I am starving while cooking supper, sometimes I will have one to hold me over.  ...Anyway, maybe we are weirdos.   :D   Just wasn't sure what you were picturing... but it's really just a lot like eating deviled eggs.  Or you could also make a mini egg salad out of it, just mashing up the ingredients in a bowl.

Ok see, THAT sounds good... and Yes, I do love eggs. That's the thing. I'm an egg person. When Easter comes around, I do eggs...I boil them and color them and play with them and then eat them all... because I've always loved eggs. But every single morning...whew... I have gotten pretty creative lately and found some different ideas that have helped... I know fruit is not the best choice but to change up once or twice helped... I did baked apples with cinnamon, pure vanilla (no alcohol or sugars), and coconut oil. Crushed some pecans and mixed it up with some almond flour, cinnamon and ghee and sprinkled on top- stuck that in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.... Not only did my house smell amazing, those apples were soooo yummy. 

And I've done some chopped nuts, coconut, fruit in almond milk one morning which wasn't bad... but I'm pretty much sticking to the eggs as much as I can. But you know. Eggs.. everyday... yuck. However, if there's a way to change them up, I've done it because I'm sticking to this and refusing to give in over eggs. LOL. It's day 23, y'all... WOOP WOOP! 

omg so much THIS. I'm on day 16 and having the same issues....and reading this am realising it is likely lack of sleep. I'm the same, constantly finding things to do which keep me up, and I know I need 8 hours (like you have tried letting myself sleep without an alarm and always wake up after 8!)..... am about to switch off my laptop and get an early night!! :)

I feel you sister. I'm on day 15 and feel at times on the verge of calling it quits. I've felt angry for three days. It's like the deep, true addictions took this long to rear their heads. I felt like crap the first few days of Whole 30 but not like this. Physical withdrawal I seem to handle. Psychological withdrawal = so. much. harder. I'm ready for a Mexican feast and some ice cream. 15 more days ...

Why are you eating eggs every morning if it's boring and starting to gross you out? If you're still stuck in thinking only of breakfast foods at breakfast, have some smoked salmon over baby spinach with hollandaise sauce over it - totally similar to something you'd find on a cafe menu, and not eggs.

Have your eggs for dinner or lunch (they taste different later in the day, I swear) if you still want to eat them.

I just had osso buco with greens for the third breakfast running. Totally over it and freezing the rest.

Guest Andria

Just to add, those fruit-filled, protein & veggie lacking, borderline SWYPO breakfasts you mentioned above (baked apples, fruit/nut/coconut 'cereal' in almond milk) are not helping you in the tired, cranky and cravings department.  I think most W30ers would attest to how a proper breakfast sets you up for a good day with stable energy levels, no crashing/cranky/tired feelings and decreased cravings. I know if I eat fruit or a conventional breakfast that is high carb, I will be craving more sweet carby food BEFORE lunch time.

Your breakfast doesn't need to include eggs, but definitely needs to fit the meal template: protein/veggies/fat.  

I really enjoyed your post! That was definitely me during my first Whole30. It was July and vacation time. Everyone in Sweden was marinating meat in honey and thyme, eating ice cream and homemade cinnamon rolls except me. I was chewing on hardboiled eggs and cursing life. I may have asked myself why I was torturing myself with this diet that was all about removing all the pleasure from eating.

Then I found other (non-sugar driven) pleasures like making almond milk. I found a good olive oil and made mayo. And my autoimmune illness calmed down. And I felt better than I had in years and years. And I have been a convert ever since.

I'll actually use your baked apple recipe for a dessert after I am done with my Whole10 that I am currently doing. It sounds really good, but not like a breakfast to me.

I saw a post in Instagram this morning where they baked eggs in avocado and other veggies. Maybe give that a try, with a dollop of mayo on top? I think that will happen in my kitchen this weekend. Add a sprinkle of bacon on top. Ok, I am going crazy now... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify... I only had fruit as my breakfast a couple of times during my Whole 30- Which I was under the assumption was OK after reading other W30's who had done the same. It was basically just to give myself a break from eggs. However, I'm not sure I agree to actual fruit being eaten with Almond milk as SWYPO when there are Larabars and such being approved? (I even questioned why my W30 compliant Pumpkin Spice Latte would be acceptable while it is basically a sub for the Starbucks version? I haven't seen that addressed in SWYPO comments at all.  On the contrary, I have noticed it mentioned to have coffee with coconut milk or make a coconut milk latte is just fine...??)  Fruit was never altered in any way, just cut up...and the apples were, IMO, a great way to have a healthy, seasonal snack to combat the Fall temptations that have popped up all around... (i.e. Pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin treats, cinnamon and caramel treats... you've got to have a weapon to fight back! Mine became the amazing apple.)

All in all, I have to say, I completed my Whole 30 to the end with no problems at all once I got enough rest. My final week was only slightly rough to do the fact that it was extremely hectic and I was bored with food at that point... there wasn't time to do a lot of creative planning and prepping, so we did a LOT of grilled chicken and veggies that week. Now that I have finished my Whole 30, I have found that I really don't crave the stuff I was craving. I thought I would probably fight off the insatiable appetite for sugar and carbs, etc... but I really don't want anything. In fact, for the last few days, I allowed myself to finally have some PIZZA...and you know...it was good, but I'm good now and I really just want some healthy food. I thought I would go nuts for chocolate, candy, donuts, the sweet stuff...I've had an addiction to sugar for years..... seriously. And I have had some here and there this week...but I noticed after 2 days of allowing wheat and sugar in my diet, there is a definite difference in how I feel and I'm good with cutting it back out for life.... I've learned to appreciate eating healthy and literally flipped my diet completely around. Instead of craving junk, sugar and carbs, I would rather eat good, healthy food, and when there is a special occasion or if it's something I just absolutely WANT to have a bite of, ok then... have a bite. Our problem in America is that we want to eat healthy temporarily and eat junk whenever we want, and somehow expect that mind set to keep us just healthy enough to live, survive and lose a little weight. The reality is, we need the junk to be temporary and eat healthy whenever we want (all the time). I didn't expect or realize that doing Whole 30 would actually change how I think about food that much, nor did I expect to want to eat like this all the time at the end of 30 days...but it really did change me. And if that's what it was suppose to do, wouldn't this be considered a successful Whole 30 regardless of how much or what kind of fruit I ate? (The fact that I was eating fruit... you have to understand...that is huge. I don't eat fruit. I never liked fruit. I'm not the fruit eater. So eating fruit was a MAJOR step for me...and I didn't eat a LOT of it...but I did have the apples and I thought it was a great Fall alternative!)

Also- regarding eating something besides eggs, like the salmon mentioned, etc... I'm trying to embrace that idea, but wow... I can do spinach, and some sort of meat.... I MIGHT make it to smoked salmon, but not sure... eating something for breakfast that I would have at dinner is just almost nauseating to me. I'm not a morning person, and the idea of eating something very heavy is difficult..I know, I know, "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince..." I looked into the idea of making a breakfast soup one morning after taking leftover cauliflower/kale soup and adding a poached egg and some prosciutto to it which turned out to be pretty good. That's as far as I've gotten. I can't handle salad for breakfast. Just...no. So...I'm trying to work out something that would sound appetizing. After 30 years, being raised in the south where you eat biscuits and gravy, sausage and eggs, bacon and pancakes for breakfast...throwing out "smoked salmon" is kind of a stretch, you know? Give me time... I'll figure it out... =)

Finally, just FYI... now that I have spent a few days post-Whole30, my regular diet/lifestyle will be kicking into gear and will most definitely exclude wheat and sugar at this time. I will allow some whole, organic dairy like cheese, yogurt and cream back in...but not in excess...can't handle too much! I don't really care about beans or legumes much so it's no big deal...except Peanut Butter..every now and then I like peanut butter...I really don't know why. I was never a PB eater growing up, but the last few years I started craving it every now and then. I have also been inspired from the W30 daily newsletters (great info there) and I'm wanting to use my W30 challenge in other areas of my life...in my workout, book reading, etc...so I'll be doing some W30 challenges over the next few months and at some point I will be back on the W30 FOOD Challenge again!

PS - I lost 12 1/2 pounds during my Whole 30!! I had NO idea! What a shocker....I knew I felt good internally, but I hadn't noticed a whole lot of change in my clothes...so I expected MAYBE to have lost like 5-6 pounds....WOW. Nice surprise!!

Archived