I'm soooooooooooo confused about ingredients

I'm starting the program in two weeks.  I just finished up all of my reading.  I read everything and printed out all the PDF's. 

I understand the sugars.  But what I'm having trouble with is other ingredients.

For example:

Xantham Gum, was the last ingredient on a salsa I was looking at.  How do you know if that's okay?

Lime concentrate?? From another salsa label I was reading

Natural Flavors-Natural flavors could be anything like a hidden sugar, right??

Or Costco Canned Chicken-Here are the ingredients: Chicken breast, meat, water, seasoning (salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates, chicken broth and natural flavors)  Is this compliant?  For some reason I'm thinking not. 

My whole deal is I really want to do this and succeed and not give up.  I also just don't want to have to start over in the middle because I thought something was okay and its not.

Xantham Gum and Lime Concentrate are good to go.

Natural flavours - Don't over think this.  I take this at face value.  If it's natural flavours - take it at face value and go with it.  If you want to delve into further feel free to contact the actual brand for more info.

Canned Chicken - Leave it behind.  Modified food Starch is usually and most always corn starch.  Corn starch is a no go.

• Moderators

For future reference, If you want to know if some particular ingredient is okay on Whole30, google Whole30 and that ingredient -- for instance, Whole30 xantham gum.  Almost everything you can think of has been asked about at some point before.  :)

• Moderators

Xanthum gum is okay.

Lime concentrate is okay.

Natural flavors, although unclear and unspecified, are okay during a Whole30. They can't hide added sugar as "natural flavors." 

The Costco chicken is questionable because of the modified food starch. The problem is what "food" lies behind the "starch." If it is potato or tapioca, it is okay. If it is corn, rice, or wheat is not not okay. The vendor is not required to tell you (Thank the U.S. government for this). Because you can't verify this, you need to pass on the Costco chicken. 

Archived