Costco run and bacon

melyhegedu

I am on day 3 and focusing on reading ingredient labels.  I got excited when I heard about the Kirkland Low Sodium bacon being compliant so I decided to go check it out.  Sadly, it has maltodextrose in it.  I did get the Aidell's chicken apple sausages, and they also have a compliant deli slice option! And the frozen tilapia loins - ingredients: fish.  Unless you go to a farm, or to a natural foods store (not Whole Foods) it is not often you will find compliant bacon.  I had to spend $8 for half a pound at a meat shop.

Other finds at Costco: bagged greens, Pellegrino water and Good Earth tea 4-pack.

On to the next 27 days.

Hi melyhegedu - good catch on the maltodextrose!  I'm not much of a bacon eater (I know, unbelievable) so I don't have a replacement suggestion.

Here's what I've been getting at costco:

• fresh butternut squash, already diced (yay!)
  • other veggies of course - I love their bag of salad mix that has shredded broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, chicory (awesome!)
  • organic brown eggs
  • frozen fish (I make sure to buy the wild caught)
  • fresh organic chicken breasts
  • filet mignon for a sunday night splurge ;)
  • canned tuna
  • canned salmon
  • Aidelles (glad you found it!)
  • canned olives
  • individual serving guacamoles in a 12 pack
  • rotisserie chicken
  • blueberries (I sprinkle a few on the side of my omelet every morning - yum)

Tomorrow I'm going to see if they have balsamic vinegar in a manageable size.  I've been enjoying it straight up as my salad dressing lately!

On a separate note, last weekend my Costco had all of their Christmas stuff out!  Decorations, gift baskets, etc.  Are you kidding me?  It wasn't even Oct 1 yet.

walley, I have not been to Sam's... but the only brand I have been able to find (at Meijer, not sure where you are) -- is Polar.

You may have luck with Wild Planet or something from Amazon (not sure) -- but it would probably not be cheap on there.

HOW are all eleven of you doing, by the way???  :)

Brewer5...wow- honestly I didn't even think to look at the rotisserie ingredients. Bad on me for assuming it would just be a big, roasted chicken. Lol. Last time I bought one was pre whole30. I will definitely check the ingredient list next time!

Derek - I didn't buy because 1L was too much for me! Good to know about the sulfites. I bought a normal sized bottle of organic balsamic at my grocery store and the ingredients pass :). But, I just checked the bottle I have been using and realized it HAS SULFITES! I'm pissed!!! It's mentioned under the list of ingredients, so I didn't notice when I first looked. I know, honest mistake. But I've used it on at least 6 salads so I'm beyond mad that I have sabotaged my whole30. I was so proud to be on day 17.

Walley5 - if you get to a Costco at some point, the tuna I bought is their house brand, Kirkland. It's the chunk light skipjack in water. Ingredients: skipjack tuna, water, salt.

*update* I'm going to be ok! I did some checking around the forums to better understand sulfites and found that vinegar can be unique. When sulfites is not an added ingredient, but rather listed separately because they're naturally occurring, then it is ok. Such is the case with my vinegar - yay!

I like their avocado oil - it's seasonal at my Costco so I bought 3 big bottles of it. It makes awesome mayo! And they finally have sweet potatoes (must be seasonal too). I always get a bag of cut up broccoli and come home and roast half of it with garlic and steam sauté the other half. And the organic ground beef always jumps in my cart as well as the wholly guacamole mini packs. That goes right in the freezer and I love having one of those for my veggie dip with lunch. I've never found the Addiel's sausage at my Costco even tho I look every time!

Yeah, Tina, I googled it yesterday and it doesn't look good -- at all.  But I waited to post this because I thought maybe you'd found something else and I didn't know what you were talking about:

http://doyoureallyknowwhatyoureeating.blogspot.com/2012/12/costco-rotisserie-bird-makes-great-dog.html

There is a picture of the label with ingredients if you scroll down a little.  While you would think a roasted chicken could be just a roasted chicken... this ingredient list will show you it is anything BUT.

Just wanted to clarify, I see above that Costco balsamic is out because of the Sulfites, but in other Google searches, as well as searches on this website, it appears that it is ok...is there an "official" verdict on the Costco Kirkland Balsamic?  Thanks!

I am no official word but it is my understanding that if you look at the ingredient list and it includes sulfites, it's a no go. However, if it just says somewhere on the bottle, NOT in the ingredient list, that it contains sulfites (as vinegar naturally does) it is okay.

Archived