Is Herbal Tea Feeding My Sugar Dragon?

I totally get that herbal tea is compliant. Well, most of them. I buy the loose leaf stuff from Teavanna and some of them contain soy and dairy, so caveat emptor!

Anyway, historically I have been a slave to my late afternoon sugar fix. Before the Whole30 I tried fresh fruit - which did the trick on most days - but after reading the book I learned I was still feeding my Sugar Dragon (who is a little beast, btw). Now, I find that I'm turning to a cup of herbal tea, and mint is my favorite. Am I psychologically feeding my Sugar Dragon, or is herbal tea truly acceptable? Context matters, right?

(My Sugar Dragon is crouched and ready for action if anyone suggests it is still being fed and tea is off the table, just forewarning you.)

• Moderators

Maybe herbal tea is feeding your dragon, but maybe it isn't. Only you can figure that one out. 

It is not necessary to take away everything you enjoy to complete a good Whole30. Some people just need longer than others to slay a sugar dragon. :)

Here is my question in regards to tea. I have a box of Twinings Lemon Ginger Tea. Reading the ingredients it says Lemon and Ginger Flavours Naturally Fortified. Is it still whole 30 friendly? Tried to look this up on the Canadian Food and Drug regulation site and it states: (naming the fruit) Flavour Naturally Fortified shall be an extract, essence or flavour derived from the named fruit to which other natural extractives have been added and 51 per cent of the flavouring strength shall be derived from the named fruit. I don't know if I should be concerned with the "other".

Sad to say, I would avoid the Twinings Ginger Lemon. If it contains an essence, only 50% of which comes from the actual fruit, that is 50% mystery ingredients that you may not want. 

I don't think mint tea at afternoon tea time is bad per se as a refreshing beverage. In fact I think its perfect and delicious. 

If after the mint tea you start wildly thinking about and craving sugar...then you'll know to stop.

In order to kick my habit of a glass of red wine as soon as I got home from work, I switched to mint tea also. I think I need something to calm me (probably going out for a walk would be better, and I'm hoping to start that this week). So I understand....yours was the sugar dragon and mine was the wine demon! So this week I'm going to commit to two afternoons of changing into walking clothes after work and heading out for 1/2 hour or so....is there any way you can do something similar at that time?

In order to kick my habit of a glass of red wine as soon as I got home from work, I switched to mint tea also. I think I need something to calm me (probably going out for a walk would be better, and I'm hoping to start that this week). So I understand....yours was the sugar dragon and mine was the wine demon! So this week I'm going to commit to two afternoons of changing into walking clothes after work and heading out for 1/2 hour or so....is there any way you can do something similar at that time?

That's a great suggestion! Unfortunately, no, not at that time. I could walk at lunch or after work, but the Dragon Demon comes knocking right in between. I could probably step away for a few minutes and at least get some fresh air at that time, even if I can't go for a walk. I'll have to give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion!

Archived