Anyone else start Sept. 29th?

Rawley79

Hey all I just started my whole30 3 days ago, and so far it's going ok.  I am a pretty healthy eater in general, although I have a major sweet tooth.  My sugar addiction is a big part of why I wanted to do this and see if it helped with sleep issues, moods, and skin.  I can already feel the cravings for sugar coming especially today.  I feel like an addict, where I have to think one day at a time and today it's been one hour at a time. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but could use some input or even someone who is kinda in the same spot as me.  I just hope it gets better as most people say.  

I started the 28th so that's close enough eh? :)

I haven't had too much of any craving yet, but I'm not looking forward to this weekend, discipline-wise --- it's the annual cabin trip with "the gang", and there will be a crapton of alcohol and snack food.

I started the 28th so that's close enough eh? :)

I haven't had too much of any craving yet, but I'm not looking forward to this weekend, discipline-wise --- it's the annual cabin trip with "the gang", and there will be a crapton of alcohol and snack food.

Kirkor...so I've read this ain't your first rodeo.  You've done this before.   I'm curious why you think IF and W30 are compatico.  Tell all.  :) 

aa0e9e60d5a27b1cd640b6431813cd44.jpg

Sleep def isn't getting any better for me yet.  Thank you all for responding!  I am going to be working the next 3 days 12 hr shifts which at work, is the hardest place for me.  I work at a hospital (go figure), always sweets and cheese and all kinds of junk around.  I know I will be proud of myself once Monday comes and I have made it this far!  

Hi,

I'm on day 13, so a bit ahead of you, and I thought I'd just say that it does get easier, especially the sugar and junk food cravings. The last couple of days I've been thinking 'I don't ever want to eat junk food again', which is the complete opposite to what I was thinking during my first week. I even ate lunch out today, chicken tikka and salad, while my son had spicy noodles, and it was an easy choice to make, whereas in the first week I'd have felt grumpy and envious and would have been looking longingly at his box of gloopy carbs!

So just keep going, it gets better, and I'm only half way through.

Good luck

Kate :) 

i started the 29th too. i'm on day 6 and my sugar dragon has still not gone away. for the first few days i was craving chocolate (even though i didnt eat too much of it to begin with), but now i'm just starting to miss the foods i used to eat. having to say see you later to my routine passion tea lemonade, carmel frappuccino, and clif bars have been making me very sad and frustrated haha. i'm hoping it gets better sooner rather than later.

Hi! :)

I started 29th September too, I'm in Australia though so I'm onto day 7 and things are looking up.

Having said that, I think I had an advantage in that I have quit sugar multiple times over the last 12 months, and had already got my body to a point where 3 decent meals was all I needed through the day (a big change from seeking out food every 2 hours!) So for anyone still hungry a lot or craving sweets, I promise it does get better :)

Even when I'm not hungry, I do find I crave things that are offered to me. I went out to the movies Friday night, I was full from my lovely dinner but the popcorn and ice cream everyone else had did look yummy! But I felt much better for not giving in afterwards.

I did do 8 days of Whole30 in June, but I was vegetarian at that point. Becoming more informed about food made me decide to stop that Whole30 and resume eating meat, and do the Whole30 again once I was eating meat regularly and learnt how to cook it. Was a big change coming off 11 years of vegetarianism, but I feel it's certainly the right one, and I just try to buy the most ethically produced meat I can.

Keep up the great work everyone and I look forward to hearing how you're all going :)

I started on September 29th too... 7 days in, and I'm feeling great. I haven't had any crazy cravings yet, so I'm afraid they're still coming, as I usually have a weakness for sugar.  I'm sleeping great, and I can already see the bloat subsiding.  I just finished the book, It Starts With Food. It helped me to understand the science behind why I shouldn't continue putting any junk into my body. I mean, we all know we shouldn't eat garbage food, but it was interesting to learn how certain things contribute to inflammation, which in turn wreaks havoc on our body.  I hope this knowledge will be good ammo against any sugar dragons that rear their heads ;)

Kirkor...so I've read this ain't your first rodeo.  You've done this before.   I'm curious why you think IF and W30 are compatico.  Tell all.  :) 

I think W30 or not, IF offers a lot of advantages for people, from those various studies showing improved insulin sensitivity, nutrient partitioning, craving management, cell repair, etc.

And these are also benefits that W30 is meant to confer.

The rationale I've seen regarding sticking to a standard breakfast/lunch/dinner schedule seem to be (a) hormonal and metabolic benefits and (B) social convention.

So I figure (a) is redundant because these same benefits occur with IF (according to my understanding of the data) and (B) is only a concern if you have some anxiety issue with sitting at the breakfast table drinking coffee while other people eat toast and eggs.

I also usually do the LeanGains style of IF which includes fasted training and the largest meal of the day occurring post-workout.

Anyhoo, to tie this in with my comment in the other thread, I figure Whole30 tells me what to eat, IF tells me when to eat.

I did do 8 days of Whole30 in June, but I was vegetarian at that point. Becoming more informed about food made me decide to stop that Whole30 and resume eating meat, and do the Whole30 again once I was eating meat regularly and learnt how to cook it. Was a big change coming off 11 years of vegetarianism, but I feel it's certainly the right one, and I just try to buy the most ethically produced meat I can.

Welcome back! ;)

zbjqeQt.png

I also started on the 29th and I'm planning on doing my whole30 through the end of the month.  It's about mid-day on day 8 now and I'm feeling good! Surprisingly I'm not having too many cravings at this point.  I usually eat junk food all of the time, so I have a feeling those cravings will be hitting me hard some time soon.  I did find though that I slept a ridiculous amount this weekend, right in line with the timeline on the website.  I'm hoping that will get better because I don't have the time to sleep 12 or more hours each night!  I haven't seen much change in my body yet, but how drastic can the changes be in only a week?  I'm just waiting for my clothes to start fitting looser!

I also started on the 29th and I'm planning on doing my whole30 through the end of the month.  It's about mid-day on day 8 now and I'm feeling good! Surprisingly I'm not having too many cravings at this point.  I usually eat junk food all of the time, so I have a feeling those cravings will be hitting me hard some time soon.  I did find though that I slept a ridiculous amount this weekend, right in line with the timeline on the website.  I'm hoping that will get better because I don't have the time to sleep 12 or more hours each night!  I haven't seen much change in my body yet, but how drastic can the changes be in only a week?  I'm just waiting for my clothes to start fitting looser!

Day 8 now as well! It does get better - I noticed much more energy today than I did at the end of last week. Progress is coming soon :)

Day 9 which is exciting! All going well, bought myself a slow cooker which is currently making me dinner at home :)

Getting a little bit hungry between meals...I eat decent protein serves I think (3 eggs for brekkie; chicken or beef for lunch/dinner) and eat some fat (half an avo or a handful of nuts) but think I may need to increase my fat content. Any suggestions? Last night I made Classic Chicken Soup with extra veggies and chicken from ISWF, but made a little salad of cucumber, tomatos, avocado and olives to try and get some fat into me to keep me full. Basically when I have a full meal of protein & veggies but not much fat, I'm stuck for ideas on how to add more fat. Today for lunch I've brought the soup with me, and a little container of cashews & coconut flakes, to try and prevent getting so hungry hours before dinner (like yesterday!)

Hope everyone's having a great day 8/9 :)

These last 24 hours have been kind of hard for me.  I ate my normal three meals yesterday and was not hungry in between, but after the gym last night I ate a can of tuna and a sweet potato and was still starving!  I ended up eating several handfuls of cashews and a banana.  I know that I must have eaten far too much fat yesterday and I had one too many pieces of fruit with my binging last night.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if that happens (still hungry after eating a meal)?  Usually after my four meals I am good to go for the night, so I just wasn't sure what I should eat when I was still so hungry.  Getting up this morning was a struggle too....I need to get past this whole needing 10+ hours of sleep thing.

But it is day 9!  We are almost 1/3 of the way there... :lol:

• Moderators

Day 9 which is exciting! All going well, bought myself a slow cooker which is currently making me dinner at home :)

Getting a little bit hungry between meals...I eat decent protein serves I think (3 eggs for brekkie; chicken or beef for lunch/dinner) and eat some fat (half an avo or a handful of nuts) but think I may need to increase my fat content. Any suggestions? Last night I made Classic Chicken Soup with extra veggies and chicken from ISWF, but made a little salad of cucumber, tomatos, avocado and olives to try and get some fat into me to keep me full. Basically when I have a full meal of protein & veggies but not much fat, I'm stuck for ideas on how to add more fat. Today for lunch I've brought the soup with me, and a little container of cashews & coconut flakes, to try and prevent getting so hungry hours before dinner (like yesterday!)

Hope everyone's having a great day 8/9 :)

I realize this is a few days late, but if you're still stumped on adding fat to meals -- have some mayo to dip your veggies in, or drizzle olive oil over your veggies and meat, make a chimichurri sauce or this Moroccan dipping sauce and put it over your veggies or meat, or there are all kinds of other sauces out there that are fat-based, just google Whole30 sauces and see what sounds good. Add olives or avocado. Bacon, if you can find the compliant stuff. Coconut flakes, toasted, are good on a lot of things. Occasionally, have some nuts if they don't cause you any digestive upset -- just don't have them all the time, and watch the serving size -- but to chop up a few to put on top of some veggies is fine (think green beans with toasted almonds, yum). It's even okay to sometimes have some fruit with some almond butter or some coconut cream on it with your meal, just don't eat it separate from the rest of your meal, and don't think of it as dessert -- when I do that, I eat it with my meal, like have a bite of meat or veggies, then some fruit, then some meat -- just to make sure I'm not having it all at the end of the meal like I would if it were dessert. And I definitely don't do that every meal, not even every day, but occasionally, if an apple with almond butter sounds good, or some strawberries with coconut milk, I have that.

These last 24 hours have been kind of hard for me.  I ate my normal three meals yesterday and was not hungry in between, but after the gym last night I ate a can of tuna and a sweet potato and was still starving!  I ended up eating several handfuls of cashews and a banana.  I know that I must have eaten far too much fat yesterday and I had one too many pieces of fruit with my binging last night.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if that happens (still hungry after eating a meal)?  Usually after my four meals I am good to go for the night, so I just wasn't sure what I should eat when I was still so hungry.  Getting up this morning was a struggle too....I need to get past this whole needing 10+ hours of sleep thing.

But it is day 9!  We are almost 1/3 of the way there... :lol:

If you're hungry (really hungry, like steamed fish and broccoli sound good), it's okay to eat, but try to have a mini meal of protein and fat and veggies, not just fruit and nuts -- although it sounds like you did have the fruit and nuts with the tuna and sweet potato, not just on their own. You may just need more food, especially if you're working out. Don't worry that on one day, you had one piece of fruit too many, as long as you're eating plenty of veggies and not having too much fruit ever day. Also, if it's around that time of the month, you may need more food and starchy veggies in particular -- check out this thread for an explanation of that.

If you're hungry (really hungry, like steamed fish and broccoli sound good), it's okay to eat, but try to have a mini meal of protein and fat and veggies, not just fruit and nuts -- although it sounds like you did have the fruit and nuts with the tuna and sweet potato, not just on their own. You may just need more food, especially if you're working out. Don't worry that on one day, you had one piece of fruit too many, as long as you're eating plenty of veggies and not having too much fruit ever day. Also, if it's around that time of the month, you may need more food and starchy veggies in particular -- check out this thread for an explanation of that.

Wow, you got that spot on.  I didn't even put two and two together.  Thank you so much for referencing me to that forum!  It hasn't been anywhere near as bad since that night, so I'm hoping I won't go on a fruits and nut binge again!

Thanks Shannon for your reply! Will definitely get myself some of the recommended olive oil for making mayo with tomorrow. I'll document and observe a bit more closely, but I think I handle a handful of nuts OK so that's good for me. In regards to coconut cream and fruit (which I used to love and have as a sweet treat during non Whole 30 times; however this time round finding it a bit different and not as great as I remember), does this really need to be eaten with the meal? I know viewing it as dessert is not ideal (which is why I hadn't eaten it until I saw your post) but if you've kicked the Sugar Dragon's butt, can it be eaten after a meal? Partly because I enjoy it that way, and partly to appear more normal at the dinner table! I know we're allowed to have fruit, and I presume if someone is eating an apple they aren't going to just have a bite then have some of their main meal, then bite the apple again. 

Fellow 9/29'er here....we're 1/3 of the way there! Woohoo! Major milestone. Did anyone celebrate?

I was really happy to make it through Day 10 (as I know it's one of the hardest days) and mentioned this to my best friend. We had a ridiculous long day with commitments and I wasn't super hungry at dinner so we had 10 minutes of peace together and split my random dinner - chicken salad with green beans, roasted sweet potato and beetroot, apple, walnuts with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was really nice to be able to enjoy my delicious meal and share it with someone too! (especially someone so supportive of my Whole30, and who has changed a lot of their eating habits just from being around me so much)

In regards to coconut cream and fruit (which I used to love and have as a sweet treat during non Whole 30 times; however this time round finding it a bit different and not as great as I remember), does this really need to be eaten with the meal? I know viewing it as dessert is not ideal (which is why I hadn't eaten it until I saw your post) but if you've kicked the Sugar Dragon's butt, can it be eaten after a meal? Partly because I enjoy it that way, and partly to appear more normal at the dinner table! I know we're allowed to have fruit, and I presume if someone is eating an apple they aren't going to just have a bite then have some of their main meal, then bite the apple again. 

yes you can, melissa said it was compliant food on a post about whole30 desserts. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22206-w30-approved-desserts-fruit-snacks-from-w30-recipes-on-instagram/#entry234740

Archived