Wellbutrin and Whole30

I need some guidance here.. I'm on day 26 of my first whole 30 and have managed to remain completely compliant - not even accidental cheats! I feel great physically. However, I have suffered with depression and anxiety for over 10 years and I am currently taking Wellbutrin in combination with Cipralex. This week, my doc upped my Wellbutrin dose. While this has helped my mood and mental clarity, I'm having a really rough time eating the meal plan/getting enough nutrients. I either don't feel hungry or become nauseated while eating and have to stop midway through my meal.

To combat this, I've taken to making smoothies that are loaded with vegetables (usually 3-4 cups of veggies to 1/2 cup fruit just to add sweetness) and fat (either avocado or coconut milk), so that I'm at least taking in the nutrients. I will have my smoothie alongside a palm sized portion of meat. But the lack of appetite/nausea remain.

I'm so close to reaching the end of the 30 days and love the way it's made me feel about my body and food, but I'm worried my medication is derailing all the progress I've made. Should I continue to force my self to eat in line with the plan? Or should I listen to my body?

"helped my mood and mental clarity"  There's your answer.   The pros outweigh the cons.  I'm sorry for the side effects but they're working for you.  You understand the smoothie premise but your nausea has to be addressed.  You only have 4 more days and you're not eating non-compliant foods.  You whipped them up in the blender to keep from being sick.   :)  Yes, I would continue on as you were for 4 more days...even if you have to drink your compliant foods.

• Moderators

I am a smoothie hater, but in your case, I am okay with it. 

Since you mentioned increasing your anti-depressant, I wonder if you have been eating enough starchy veggies. Many people feel and perform better when they are eating starchy veggies. Some people get depressed when they go too low carb (don't eat enough starchy veggies). Food will not cure everything, at least not immediately, (:)) but making sure you are having a potato or some winter squash every day can help improve your mood. 

Archived