Gluten free alternatives?

KBroughton

Ok guys I am gluten free and starting Whole30 to figure out if gluten free is all I need to be free of. Knowing this, what are some gluten free alternatives to some of the foods included in the program? Like almond flour? (I haven't done much research so that could easily be gluten free) I am wondering about everything before I actually go grocery shopping.

Thanks---Karleen

Guest Andria

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Essentially, everything allowed in the Whole30 is gluten-free :P Almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot flour are allowed only as a 'breading' of sorts for fish or chicken or maybe as a thickening agent in a stew.

Your re-intro period, after your 30 days are up, is the time for you to determine how foods affect you.  So, you would introduce gluten free grains separate from gluten containing grains, etc...

Ok guys I am gluten free and starting Whole30 to figure out if gluten free is all I need to be free of. Knowing this, what are some gluten free alternatives to some of the foods included in the program? Like almond flour? (I haven't done much research so that could easily be gluten free) I am wondering about everything before I actually go grocery shopping.

Thanks---Karleen

Almond flour is, by definition, gluten-free.  If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd like to do a Whole30 to find out if, in addition to gluten, there are other foods you need to be wary of.  This is a good reason to do Whole30, so congrats and welcome!

One thing you'll need to discover is the rationale behind how Whole30 foods and meals are composed.  We want you to change your approach to food and eating.  So there is no Paleo-fying bread, baked goods, pancakes, granola, cereal, etc. on Whole30.  We ask you to eat meals composed of: one-two palm-size portions of protein (meat, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, eggs); 2-4 cups of veggies (more if it's a salad); and a thumb-size portion or more of fat (nuts are a fat source, not a protein source, on Whole30).  Do that three times a day, or more if you're hungry.

We don't want you to substitute gluten-free versions of baked goods, desserts, etc. because we want you to change your entire relationship with food.  We do want you to eat very healthily, and very heartily, for thirty days.

Back to your almond flour question - any grain-free flour will be gluten free.  You may use it as breading, but not to make bread, for instance.  We are also not thrilled by smoothies, juicing, or the use of such things as "monkey salad" (which has, appallingly, gotten a Whole30 label through much repetition on the internet - shudder) for breakfast.

We want you to eat real, whole foods for thirty days.  If you do a Whole30 you'll be able to tell how you do completely gluten-free, and also free of other grains, legumes, dairy, soy, and weirdly artificial preservatives like sulfites and msg.

Welcome again and happy eating!  Hang out here on the forums for more information, recipes, meal plans, and general support. :wub:

Thanks guys for the input. I probably should have included that I have only been gluten free for at most 2 months. I understand the "Don't substitute" however, I have seen recipes on pinerest and other sites in which several foods on the 'Do not eat or recreate' list for instance pancakes and tortillas. Does it ultimately depend on how it is made for instance a corn tortilla instead of flour tortillas or are recreations of not allowed items out in general?

Thanks guys for the input. I probably should have included that I have only been gluten free for at most 2 months. I understand the "Don't substitute" however, I have seen recipes on pinerest and other sites in which several foods on the 'Do not eat or recreate' list for instance pancakes and tortillas. Does I ultimately depend on how it is made for instance a corn tortilla instead of flour tortillas or are recreations of not allowed items out in general?

Are these things being called Whole 30, or just paleo? Because they're not the same - Whole 30 is a strict program, while paleo is pretty loose.

Basically, yeah, making something non-compliant (like tortillas or muffins) with compliant ingredients doesn't change the way you eat psychologically. Besides, eating those things is pushing more nutritious foods off your plate, so you're getting even less benefits.

Guest Andria

Just because a Pinterest board or a blog says it is Whole30 does not mean it really is.  I have seen plenty of recipes on boards and blogs that are non-compliant. Either blatantly containing non-compliant ingredients  like honey or "paleofying" foods like pancakes, muffins, coffee creamer etc..

Take a look at www.nomnompaleo.com and www.theclothesmakegirl.com and their respective cookbooks (Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans & Well Fed 1 & 2) for compliant recipes (note: Well Fed 1 & 2 have a rare recipe that is not compliant while doing a W30, but she will note this.)

Just because a Pinterest board or a blog says it is Whole30 does not mean it really is.  I have seen plenty of recipes on boards and blogs that are non-compliant. Either blatantly containing non-compliant ingredients  like honey or "paleofying" foods like pancakes, muffins, coffee creamer etc..

Take a look at www.nomnompaleo.com and www.theclothesmakegirl.com and their respective cookbooks (Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans & Well Fed 1 & 2) for compliant recipes (note: Well Fed 1 & 2 have a rare recipe that is not compliant while doing a W30, but she will note this.)

This exactly.

So true.

I've started pointing out to posters (Pinterest mainly) that certain "whole30" items are not in any-way-shape-or-form Whole30. Not winning many friends but hopefully helping innocent searchers who haven't discovered the forum... or the book... or the website ;)

Keep it simple.  You can do this. The no re-creation is because of the unhealthy psychological effects these foods have on us. Eat good food.  Eat meat and vegetables. Add some fruit and nuts to the plate if you choose. 

The re-creation of non-compliant foods made with compliant ingredients will be termed "Sex With Your Pants On" or SWYPO for short on this forum, just FYI ;)  You get the picture :)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived