Traveling for a week

BHamilton

I actually just got home from a week-long trip with similar situation. I was not well prepared and will be next time. Here's what I would do...

Pack tuna and salmon pouches and lemons and limes. Compliant jerky. On the go protein. Bring raw veggies. Bring compliant condiments you like. Ghee is self stable. Fresh fruit. If no fridge is in foundation room, ask the hotel if they can provide one or change your room (i did this ans they moved me to a suite with a fridge). If that's a no-somehow, bring a couple and keep it filled with the ice machine. you're gonna be there for. While, make friends with the folks at the hotel restaurant. I couldn't have every meal there but they took care of me while I was there.

My trip was a nightmare because I wasn't prepared for the meals I couldn't control. I got some good advice on the forum and figured out some stuff on my own for next time!

Best of luck! Remember, even if you can't be perfect it doesn't mean it has to be an awful downward spiral!

Out in the middle of nowhere, I met a gal tonight at the one pump gas station.    We started talking about the awful frozen pizza in the cooler and I told her I had been on a Whole 30.   She said,  "Me, too!"  No way!!   You have the book?   "Yes!"   We compared notes about not having all the amenities of the big city.  No Whole Foods or fancy grocery store.  Zip.  Zero.  Nadda.

You never know who you'll find out running around in the middle of the sagebrush.   Traveling can be difficult, but I know y'all will find a way to stick to the Whole 30 protocol.   

Guest Andria

I think it could be doable without you having too pack to much. You could bring a collapsable bag cooler or buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and swing by a grocery store once you arrive at your destination.  At the grocery store, you purchase hard-boiled eggs, fruits, veggies and, if your lucky, compliant deli meat.  Tinned tuna, chicken(check ingredients, though, as some tinned tuna/chicken contain soy or other nasties), sardines and oysters should give you plenty of protein options. Avocado and tinned olives for your fat. Don't forget to bring or buy a can opener!  Scope out restaurants options before you go.  

Thank you! Those are great ideas and along the lines of what I figured I would have to do. I am going to see if I can get a different room with a fridge just so I can buy several items to have on hand vs hitting store each day. I have struggled to find any tuna or canned meat around me that doesn't have soy (that was an eye opener) but I may just hit a couple places at home before I go and see if I can pack and prepare a bit! I appreciate the support. I reallythink I can do this is just going to take a lot of prep and I am usually a grab on the go type meal person!

Buying a styro cooler from a local 7-11 or similar once you're at a destination is a great solution. The hotel should have plenty of ice for you to use!  Bring tupperware-style containers, and freezer thickness ziploc bags.  That should keep icewater separated from your food.

• 3 weeks later...

OK just an update - I managed to makeit work and stick to the plan! I did a lot of prep and brought compliant tuna and canned chicken, made a trail mix (almonds, dried fruit (unsweetened) and coconut flake), and grabbed a few individual packs of almond butter. I also packed a small George Foreman grill in my luggage! I was surprised to have a refridgerator in my room so I was able to grocery shop. I made chicken each night in my room on the grill. It was great. Breakfast included hard boiled eggs and a little fruit.

I avoided eating out and only went out twice. Once I got a plain salad and the second venue had a compliant dressing so I had a delicious dressed salad.

It was tough but I pulled it off - planning is the key!

• Moderators

OK just an update - I managed to makeit work and stick to the plan! I did a lot of prep and brought compliant tuna and canned chicken, made a trail mix (almonds, dried fruit (unsweetened) and coconut flake), and grabbed a few individual packs of almond butter. I also packed a small George Foreman grill in my luggage! I was surprised to have a refridgerator in my room so I was able to grocery shop. I made chicken each night in my room on the grill. It was great. Breakfast included hard boiled eggs and a little fruit.

I avoided eating out and only went out twice. Once I got a plain salad and the second venue had a compliant dressing so I had a delicious dressed salad.

It was tough but I pulled it off - planning is the key!

You are AWESOME! You put aside the excuses and made it happen. Congrats!! This is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread. I plan to start on Jan 2, and just realized that I will be traveling, without a fridge, for a week in the middle of the whole 30!

What did you guys do for breakfast then? I really like eggs in the morning, but am sort of scared of store bought hard-boiled eggs!

Any other breakfast-y ideas? I don't know if I could eat tuna and olives for breakfast...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread. I plan to start on Jan 2, and just realized that I will be traveling, without a fridge, for a week in the middle of the whole 30!

What did you guys do for breakfast then? I really like eggs in the morning, but am sort of scared of store bought hard-boiled eggs!

Any other breakfast-y ideas? I don't know if I could eat tuna and olives for breakfast...

Are you going to have a Whole Foods close by? Their hot bar has been a saving grace for me on business trips. 

Are you going to have a Whole Foods close by? Their hot bar has been a saving grace for me on business trips. 

Whole foods is like 6 miles away from the hotel, and I'll be carless.

I looked around on google maps and there is a "fresh and easy" It seems from reveiws that there are prepared foods. and a walmart nearby too...

Archived