Weight Gain post whole30!

marm

I did whole30 with my husband to support him (he has severe migraines and we were hoping it would help him).  I have always eaten pretty much in moderation (had a big sugar dragon though) most of my life and weigh about 122 pounds (5'4") and exercise on a consistant basis.  I did strict whole30 with him and lost a few pounds (weighed 118 after) which was great, but I really wasn't doing it for the weight loss.  I typically weigh between 118-122 pounds and have for most of my life.  Right after I finished doing whole30 I went out of town for a few days and ate pretty bad which isn't uncommon for me.  The most I have ever weighed was a few years ago after the holidays and eating really bad for over a month I weighed 126 pounds but have always been able to lose weight easily and quickly by small adjustments.  I have been finished with whole30 for exactly one month and I weigh 129 pounds!!!  I haven't been eating super crazy bad-just my normal diet prewhole30.  Just back to my regular diet.  I have no idea what is going on and it is stressing me out!  How would I gain 11 pounds in one month! Yikes!

It isn't 11 lbs of fat, it is probably inflammation though. Did you do the reintroduction protocol after your Whole30? My guess is that you have reintroduced something that your body had built a tolerance too prior to Whole30 and now you are experiencing inflammation having added it back in. Aside from weight loss did you experience any other benefits from the Whole30? My guess is if you continue to eat just as you had prior to Whole30 your body will balance itself out again eventually. 

Unfortunately, I was running in a big race for a few days pretty quickly after I finished and I needed more carbs to do it and I reintroduced everything at once-in hindsight that wasn't very smart.  Good to hear that hopefully my body will balance out soon!  I am really stressed out about it.  Thanks for your response!

It isn't 11 lbs of fat, it is probably inflammation though. Did you do the reintroduction protocol after your Whole30? My guess is that you have reintroduced something that your body had built a tolerance too prior to Whole30 and now you are experiencing inflammation having added it back in. Aside from weight loss did you experience any other benefits from the Whole30? My guess is if you continue to eat just as you had prior to Whole30 your body will balance itself out again eventually. 

Do you think that I need to reduce my calories quite a bit to get the weight back down? I think I usually eat around 1700-1800 calories...should I try dropping to around 1300 calories?  Just not sure what to do.  Thanks so any insight you might have.  :)

Do you think that I need to reduce my calories quite a bit to get the weight back down? 

Nope. You need to figure out what food is causing inflammation and stop eating that food. The best way to do that would be to go back to whole30 for a while (maybe a week or two?) then try the reintroduction protocol.

Follow Miss Mary's tips and try to follow the Whole 30 reintro protocol....it works.  I didn't add anything back in quickly.  One item and one day at a time.   I didn't add back sugar, simple carbs - white crackers, candy, cookies, donuts, etc.  at all.  Wishing you well.

For future reference as well you can get plenty of carbs for your big race while still staying compliant with the Whole30. Whole30 is not intended to be very low carb. While you were training for the race were you following the guidelines for pre and post workout meals? One of the benefits of Whole30 when executed well is being able to perform much better without pre and during workout carbs.

Archived