Oral Allergy Syndrome and a Whole 30

cupkayke

So I'm really excited to start a Whole 30 on Monday!! I need to get my eating habits in order. I've recently gotten sober after a long-term struggle with alcohol, and I'm quitting smoking at the same time as starting my Whole 30.

BUT. I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, which basically makes it impossible to eat most vegetables and some fruits raw. Fruits are much easier on me, both raw and cooked. Many veggies give me terrible stomach issue and some even cause more severe systemic reactions. I'm concerned because I have the Sugar Dragon that I would love to get rid of, but I'm more concerned about eating enough veggies and less fruits than I normally do. Should I just concentrate on things that I know don't make me sick, or eat a little more fruit than recommended in order to get my vitamins and fiber?

From what I understand of oral allergy syndrome, cooking the vegetables eliminates the issue entirely. Is that not true for you? If it is, just eat your veggies cooked. If even cooked versions of some veggies cause symptoms, eliminate those--I'm confident there are still more vegetables available to fill your plate.

Archived