Day 25 – restart or extension?

jneufy

Yesterday, I was in the market buying some ingredients to make cauliflower rice sushi – delicious! While I was in the seafood section I saw a package of imitation crab beside the shrimp. Usually, I research all new foods before buying them, but I know my husband loves California Rolls and so I didn't think any of it. My husband has been a huge support doing the program with me!

After dinner my friend told me that imitation crab has a myriad of non-compliant ingredients.  This made me realize what I thought might be the onset of the flu was really a bad reaction to the imitation crab.

With being compliant for 25 days I am kicking myself as I should know better.

I have read through the document on restarting as well as read through the responses on the forums.  I noticed that each person is advised slightly differently depending on the food (difference between sugar and other foods) and their current position in the 30 days as to whether it is a full 30-day restart or an extension.

I know with the reaction I had, I need to do something. So my question is…. Do I need to do a full 30 day restart or with being almost completed would a 1 or 2 week extension be enough?

Yesterday, I was in the market buying some ingredients to make cauliflower rice sushi – delicious! While I was in the seafood section I saw a package of imitation crab beside the shrimp. Usually, I research all new foods before buying them, but I know my husband loves California Rolls and so I didn't think any of it. My husband has been a huge support doing the program with me!

After dinner my friend told me that imitation crab has a myriad of non-compliant ingredients.  This made me realize what I thought might be the onset of the flu was really a bad reaction to the imitation crab.

With being compliant for 25 days I am kicking myself as I should know better.

I have read through the document on restarting as well as read through the responses on the forums.  I noticed that each person is advised slightly differently depending on the food (difference between sugar and other foods) and their current position in the 30 days as to whether it is a full 30-day restart or an extension.

I know with the reaction I had, I need to do something. So my question is…. Do I need to do a full 30 day restart or with being almost completed would a 1 or 2 week extension be enough?

Yes. you will see the advice has evolved over time.

With the publication of this Do I Really Have to Restart article in June, we now direct folks to that article, noting that the official rules call for restarting when consuming any off-plan food.

In your case and in your context, I would especially read Answer #3 of this article.

MeadowLily.  Yes - unfortunately I did. :( Being aware of how foods affect my body and how I feel today I know its not the flu. 

Chris - Thanks!! I pretty much knew that would be the answer, but you can't help but hope a little with being almost done.

Day 1 it is! 

HI jneufy - you sound confident and non-stressed about restarting at day 1 so it sounds like you made a great choice!  I have a feeling this whole30 will go very well :)

Don't forget to take a look at the ingredients of the imitation crab the next time you're at the store.  It's good to make note of what ingredients caused the reaction you experienced.

Don't forget to take a look at the ingredients of the imitation crab the next time you're at the store.  It's good to make note of what ingredients caused the reaction you experienced.

As someone who's been living gluten-free for 8 years, I've learned to stay far away from imitation crab. Have never found a gluten-free version (and it doesn't come close to the real thing).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived