Day 20, bloated, and getting up in the middle of the nights.

I'm on day 20, and I feel bloated. I feel like I'm doing everything right but have been feeling puffy.

Working out 4-5 times a week in the mornings (Jogging/bike, a bit of strength training or pilates), I only have a banana before my workout (6:30am), then eat three eggs and a sweet potato after (8:30am). If I'm not working out I won't eat the banana.Lunch is usually lemon peppered salmon (1-2 palms' worth) with steamed vegetables (3-4 cups). I drizzle on a little evoo to help keep me satiated. (1pm) If I'm ravenous I'll have a hard boiled egg or 170 calories' worth of raw unsalted cashews. (5-ishpm) Dinner consists of chicken sausage or ground turkey cooked in evoo, with vegetables, sometimes spaghetti squash; cucumber, onion, tomato salad with fresh squeezed lemon and drizzle of evoo; perhaps an avocado with lime. (7:30pm) I go to bed between 10-11pm.

I only drink herbal teas and seltzer water.

Can anyone help? I feel like I should have felt more changes in my clothing by now. I am aware this isn't a plan about losing weight, but the way I've been eating and working out I feel as though I should have at least lost some inches by now or some bloat.

Additionally, I wake up in the middle of the night every night at least once and have to pee. My dreams have also been quite vivid! Anyone know why this could be?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Hi!

For me, the Whole30 dreams are normal.  I like them actually.  The one thing I noticed about myself is that raw nuts make me feel bloated, I mean a little bit does it right away for me.  Everything else you eat looks right on par.  Why don't you try removing all nuts and see if that helps.  Also if you happen to eat lots of raw veggies, maybe it's too much for you; but it doesn't sound like that's the case.  Good luck and keep up the good work!

Jess

I agree on cutting out the nuts, though it doesn't seem you are eating a lot. Your pre-workout fuel isn't doing you any favors because you are putting sugar in your body before you exercise. If you want to get fat adapted you need to change that. Have a hard boiled egg before your run instead. Ideally post workout you would have lean protein (eggs have fat) but it doesn't seem as if you are doing a very extreme workout. You might try having a few bites of chicken as soon as you are done and then showering and having your first meal. Your drizzles of EVOO are probably not enough fat. Are you using an entire thumbs worth? Do you drink any non-carbonated water during the day? The fizzy could be contributing to your bloating as well. 

Just wanted to chime in and agree about the banana.  

You wake up each day in a fat-burning state, from going all night without eating.  Having that banana first thing in the morning ends that.  At that point, your body shifts over to burning glucose for fuel.  And it will look for glucose to burn for the rest of the day.  This will make you more hungry, you will have more cravings, you will feel "ravenous" and therefore, feel like you "need" to snack.

I very much agree about nuts and bloating, also -- as I have been there, done that.  That is just one of the reasons they have been out for me on this Whole 30 -- completely.  If you are experiencing digestive bloat, one thing is for sure:  Nuts won't help.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try to have a hardboiled egg before my workouts and see how that goes, along with drinking more non-carbonated water. Also, I have to remember that it has only been three weeks and results take time. I sometimes have to remind myself that slow and steady wins the race.

Archived