snacks?

walley5

I know that the ideal for the Whole30 is 3 big meals a day and no snacking in between..  is this the best plan for children, too?  I don't expect to have any problem with it, but my kids seem to get realllly hungry between lunch and dinner.  We are on day 3 and that has been the only real struggle for them.  Thankfully they are used to eating healthy so the food changes are not really a concern, just wondering if the no snacks between meals applies to children as much as to adults.  I'm sure they can do it if it is really helpful, just wondering how much I should push that...

i'm still (technically) a kid (i'm 16) and i still need snacks between meals too. i have heard that it's actually best for your metabolism if you eat more frequently instead of in 3 square meals; and i don't see an issue as long as they are eating compliant snacks that don't fill them up TOO much and cause them to not finish their next meal. a handful of almonds, some apple slices, carrot sticks and paleo ranch or guac, etc should all be good

I have heard that it's actually best for your metabolism if you eat more frequently instead of in 3 square meals;

This is not actually true for adults--it is good to give your body time to rest and digest instead of taking in small amounts of food all day--BUT, that said, we don't hold kids to the "no snacks" recommendation. If the kids are hungry, FEED THEM, and don't worry about it.

I've been making the transition to a whole30 way of eating and paleo after my whole 30 for my daughter and it was initially more  difficult for her so I let her snack (she's 4).  I've noticed lately that  as  she eats more  complete paleo friendly meals she seems less hungry in between meals.  As others have said though if she's hungry I let her snack:)

I don't do W30 with my kids but I don't let them snack between meals at all. They are 5 and 7. I offer them water first, and then if they continue to tell me they are hungry then I offer them a "mini meal": protein (ham, usually), a couple of olives and some cucumber. They very rarely take me up on it.

Archived