Starting Whole30 on Monday, 10/6

Littlelove

Hello all. 

I am starting my first Whole30 on Monday and am finding it hard to find things to eat in the morning.  I am looking for something I can make ahead of time or a kind of garb and go thing.  I am not a big breakfast person since I worked 22 years of getting up at 4:30am and having a protein shake while I got ready for work.   I know a couple of people who have told me that once I complete the Whole30, breakfast will not be such a chore. I have spent the last week getting my house (and husband) ready for my transformation from unhealthy food to real food.  But this breakfast thing is kind of making me nervous. The thought of eating a protein & vegetable in the morning, just doesn't sound good.  I'm good with lunch and dinner, it is just breakfast. 

I understand that this is just part of the process of retraining myself and my body, and this is just the first hurdle I need to get over.  But any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Newbie!

I'm going to make some kind of egg bake thing with meat and veggies so I can grab a piece before I leave for work and eat it at the office.

Another idea I saw was a sausage, onion and sweet potato hash.  

I found these ideas and menu plans at http://bydawnnicole.com/2014/05/whole30-week-1s-complete-meal-plan.html 

I hope this helps you...I'm starting tomorrow!!!!

Keep it up !

Cyndi

Hi Cindy,

I will look into the egg bake. I am not a big egg person, which is why I am having such a hard time with this whole breakfast thing. I liked having my shake because I could just drink it and go. Then about 10am, i would eat a protien bar to tide me over to lunch. I am determined to get through the whole30, so if that mean I eat a hard boiled egg (which is the only way I even like eggs), than I will until my body decides it wants to eat breakfast.

I start tomorrow, so I will be one day behind you. :-)

Debbi (aka little love)

Welcome to Day ONE Debbi!  Hope it's smooth sailing for you!  :D

I despise eggs too, but I'm going to try to eat them with meat and a TON of veggies and spices a few times each week.  What about a meat and sweet tater "hash?"  I think I may go back and forth like that...eggs one week and the next...NO EGGS!  I'm going to have a banana with some almond butter a few days to break it up a bit.  That sounds WAY better than eggs every day!

Another thing I read is we don't have to have your "typical" breakfast foods for breakfast. I had a salad with chicken yesterday for brunch and it was pretty darn good!

Kick Buns!  Cyndi

Hey I start today as well. This morning I ate a hard boiled egg, and a box of raisins. I have discovered that doesn't really fill me, at all. I'm used to just eating a half a cup of greek yogurt in the morning which seems to tide me over until lunch. Tomorrow I'm planning on having a sweet potato with a boiled egg and an apple (I went apple picking this weekend so they are super fresh).

Hi @littlelove, congratulations on your first day!!! I'm sharing your start date as well. This will be my second whole30 this year. My health dramatically improved after doing it in the spring, and I can't wait to go even further this time around (plus just clean up some bad choices I made over the summer).

I'm with you on breakfast. I always just drank coffee for breakfast before whole30.

I found that soups I had made for dinner turned out to be the easiest breakfasts (psychologically and practically):

Such as...

Columbian Beef Stew (it has sweet potatoes, fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, and is warm, soft and easy to reheat. The downside might be the beef if you're not used to eating in the morning).

Italian wedding soup (made with only whole30 ingredients, and with ground turkey rather than sausage.)

But when it got tough, ie in a hotel or otherwise in an inconvenient situation, a piece of a rotisserie chicken from the night before with some whole30-compliant guacamole and a microwaved sweet potato worked great too!

Congratulations on starting!! Thanks for sharing your start date with me ;)

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions and support! Here is a recap of my first day

First day almost complete! I did miss my creamer this morning but I think I can do without it. In my coffee this am, I did add some coconut oil to it. Odd as it might sound, it was really good. I have been shouting the benefits of coconut oil for about two years. And I had put it in my coffee before but kind of got out of that habit. Anyway for Breakfast was a small banana, a boiled egg, sliced red and yellow peppers and my coffee.

For lunch it was a chopped salad with chicken and some wonderful balsamic vinegar. My daughter came over so she ate a salad with me! She said she needs to hang out more with me so she will eat better. Not bad for a first day....

Dinner was grilled chicken, green beans, cucumber and a potato. I had made some ghee yesterday so I had that on all the veggies. I miss my flavored water but will add some berries to my water tomorrow so that should take care of that.

I guess I should say I am a food purist. That is to say, I like food in its original forms and I am a super picky eater. I can eat almost any vegetable as long as I don't cook it. And if I do cook it, it will be lightly steamed. I don't like soups because I don't like cooked veggies. Mi think the only soup I really like is tomato. I know, I have food "issues". Lol. But I am determined to change my bad eating habits for cleaner ones.

I am hoping that all the before Whole30 prep I did will make this easier. My new mantra, one day meal at a time.

One question though, can I only have a piece of fruit each day. Or can I have two? I had a small banana for breakfast and would like to have an apple as a snack tonight. But I am not sure if a should....

Thanks again all, it is nice to know, I am not alone in this.....

Debbi aka Littlelove

I haven't gotten my book yet--It should be here today or tomorrow so excuse me if I include something on the not-to-eat list.  Anyway, since I can't eat eggs I love having a stir fry in the mornings.  I have turkey sausage, green & red bell peppers, zuchinni, potatoes or sweet potatoes, & onion, or any vegetable you like.  Another version is cubed ham, cubed sweet potatoes, & spinach leaves.  I usually do all my stir-fry's with Coconut Oil.

Sounds like you have a good handle on breakfast. I am hoping that when I am through with this 30 days, that my body will want something other than the Cheerios I, that I ate every Saturday and Sunday for that last thirty years. I am a. Creature of habit so once I can find what I want to eat for breakfast, I will be good. I truly live by the KISS method, keep it simple stupid! So I only need seven or eight meals that I love for lunch and dinner and then I will be good.

I am doing this for my health and believe 100% that this will help me achieve my goals. Losing weight will just be a bonus!

Maybe I should try a stir fry. Then I could under cook the veggies so they do not lose their "crunchiness". Thank you for the idea!

Good luck with your whole30! But it sounds like you will do just fine. Also read the book front to back before you start you whole30. It will answer 90%, if not all of you questions.

My own take on the egg thing: I didn't used to be an egg person either, but then I started sauteeing them with veggies. My FAVORITE breakfast can be prepared ahead--sweet potato scramble.  (Sautee sliced onion until half cooked, add shredded or julienned sweet potatoes and finish cooking, add salt & pepper.  Then scramble in eggs.  Sometimes I'll make a whole pan of it and eat it for a couple of days.) I also sautee all kinds of other vegetables then scramble in eggs.  Since you don't care for sauteed vegetables, this tip might not help.  But for me, eating eggs with veggies eventually gave me a taste for eggs, enough so that I can enjoy a scrambled egg on its own now, even though I spent the first 40 years of my life thinking they were nasty.  Go figure!

But GOOD LUCK!  It sounds like you are doing a great job thinking things through for you.

Thank you Celeste.

I may try the sweet potato hash. I have never reLly liked sweet potatoes but my family always put brown sugar and marshmallows all over them and they were way too sweet for me. So far a hard boiled egg with some veggies and mashed avocado seems to do the trick int the morning. I personally believe almost anything will taste better with avocado on it!

Seems like the meal I like to eat the most is lunch. I love, love ,love sandwiches and removing the bread is no big deal as long as I have something to wrap it in?

I have a problem with having to cook two meals each night. One for me and one for my hubby. He still wants pork and beans and stuff like that. Yuk! I will get through this thirty days! I will!

Littlelove

Hard  boiled eggs mushed with avocado are DELISH!

Breakfast can definitely be the hardest thing to adjust to, especially since most "breakfast" foods are very nutritionally void. 

If you don't like eating eggs that much; I made these the other day and they are DELISH! They taste a little bit like stuffing. They are not sweet but not overly savoury either. Great for a grab and go breakfast.

http://summerinnanen.com/turkey-blueberry-breakfast-muffins

try baked eggs. i line a muffin tin with bacon strips , crack in the egg, pop in the oven at 200C (I think 400F) for about 13-15 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are just starting to set. you can even do this the night before and eat them cold in the morning with raw vegetables.

If you like deli meats you could just use those (as long as they are pure deli meats with no additional sugars etc) or if you dont like cooked vegetables look into gazpacho recipes (chilled soups)

NazzaB - Thanks for the recipe!  I will take a look at it.

DarkBloodAngell - I am not sure if I am up to eating eggs in the morning that are cold.  But I could always make one to eat and then just make a few bacon bowls to put a couple salads in for lunch.  :)

What I can say is that eating breakfast is not an easy thing for me.  Eating first thing in the morning almost makes me not want to get out of bed until lunch time! Okay, it ain't that, but it is close!   I soooo miss my shake.  I can only hope it will get better sometime during this 30 days. 

Also I could not stand thinking of this as day 3.  So I decided I am going to count backwards.  So I am not on my 27th day......working my way to day 1.  :D

CyndiCO - you are just rocking this!  Keep up the great work!

Littlelove

• Moderators

You'll get used to eating in the morning, really.  It does get easier.

You said you don't like soups -- even blended ones? I make one with cauliflower and butternut squash cooked in broth, add some coconut milk, seasonings, and blend it until it's smooth with my immersion blender -- I loved having it for breakfast when it was cold out, I just added protein either mixed into it or on the side.  You really don't even taste the cauliflower, I just sneak it in there to get in more different veggies. The butternut squash gives it a mild, slightly sweet flavor, and the coconut milk gives it a nice, creamy mouth feel. Would something like that be more doable than a chunky soup? Or you could make your tomato soup -- if it has dairy, you'll have to sub coconut milk, which will change the flavor some, but it still might be good. It might be worth making a small batch to try and see if you like it.

If you like "sandwich" type things, have those for breakfast. There's nothing anywhere that says you need to have eggs or any other particular kind of food for breakfast. I think a chicken salad in a lettuce wrap would be a wonderful breakfast -- you could make it with chicken, onions, celery, pecans, chunks of apple, and either mayo or avocado. Or I've seen a lot of people making slider-type sandwiches with sweet potato slices for the bun, those would be good too. Leftovers are great for breakfast, and easy since you don't need to cook something new first thing in the morning.

And don't shoot the messenger here -- I do realize you're not used to eating breakfast and you may be having trouble getting down even as much food as you are, but I feel compelled to point out that a serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is likely 3-4. Work on getting to that many, or supplement your eggs with some other protein. One egg is not enough food. (But hey, when's the last time any diet ever told you to eat more? That's kind of cool, right? :D)

my fella is the same. he is never hungry in the morning. as i'm making him do this thing with me, i also make him eat in the mornings. 5 days in he is starting to look forward to breakfast.

If you really cant handle eggs. whip up a batch of bone broth and have a cup or two in the morning with a side of protein and veggies. i love eggs but dont want them every day. raw veggies or veggies sauteed in ghee are good. compliant deli meats or cold sliced chicken/beef with your veggies after a cup or two of yummy bone broth. the other thin you could try (this is what i dont with my fella) is get up 1/2 hour - 45minutes before eating. some people just cant eat first thing in the morning.

Check out Coco-Nutty Granola from iquitsugar.com. I have it with coconut yogurt and it's delicious. It's especially good on mornings I don't have time to make myself a veg omelet or when I've got a big training session so need a slightly more substantial breakfast.

Shannonm816 - I think I am going to take finding a recipe for tomato soup and then supplement with a protien. The thought of eating three or four eggs at anytime sounds crazy! Even when I do eat hard boiled eggs (which is my favorite way to eat them), the most I can eat is two. Then I just get too full! But soup I can do.

Darkbloodangell - I get up two hours before I try to eat anything in the morning. You want to talk about " nit a morning person", that is me completely. When I caooled to work with my hubby, I got before him and we did not talk until he came down ready for work. I need at least an hour to become human. I am totally a night person.

EleanorB - I don't think we can have yogurt or granola. Not grains and not dairy. But then again, I have never seen coconut yogurt.

Five days into my Whole30 and I still am having a hard time eating breakfast. I decided not to stress too much about it and just do the best I can. Lunch and dinner are great but the evenings I have been drinking decaf tea to help with wanting a snack after dinner. I have been times when I think about having a snack and when that happens I just grab a few almond or snap peas. They say that the second week is when carvings can kick in and I am hoping that somehow I can be strong with the habits I am creating now. Being a type two diabetic, I have been really watching my counts and they have been great! With meds they have been in the normal range. Woohoo! I have a doctor appt on Monday to keep my doctor involved. My goal is to get off my meds over time. And I am having a great start to my goal!

Darkbloodangell,

I did not know we could split our meals like that. Boy is that going to are my life a bit easier! Thank you so much for the idea. Funny as it may sound, it is the protein that is causing the grief. The veggies are the easy part! I will keep you posted on how it goes!

Thanks agin!

Littlelove

Archived