How important is a pre-workout meal?

nattychoc

Hi there,

I am new to the whole30 and I am training for my second marathon in Nov. Other than my long run day, I usually don't eat before runs as it makes me nauseous and I can constantly taste the food I have consumed prior (even if its a couple hours). I can't imagine eating a hard boiled egg or any other form of protein with fat before runs. Is this pre-workout meal necessary for runs less than 10 miles? I am always sure to re-fuel with protein and veggies.

Thanks!

You know your body better than any program and if not eating before is what works best for you, then I would suggest continuing to not eat. Although, if you like coconut I highly recommend a spoon of coconut butter before because it's delicious and a great fuel source. :)

the pre workout fuel is more a hormonal primer for the workout. Its not necessarily fuel for what you are about to do. So if eating makes you nauseous than by all means do what allows for peak performance. Depending on who you are and your fitness level, 10 miles, may or may not require extra fueling.

Are you running early in the morning?

Archived