Establishing new healthy food relationships post W30

becausewhole30

Similar issues.  I'm wrapping up my 2nd Whole 30 and will be supporting my husband in his first.  My thoughts are that after my Whole30 concludes, I'm going to stick with Paleo eating - no beans, grains, dairy, and try to make use of the off-roading flowchart infrequently.  It's such a slippery slope, and I have a hard time saying no after I add grains and sugar in.  I wish you luck.

On the first day post W30 I went out to dinner. Made sure it was gluten free and dairy free. I'm sure the sauce had sugar. I felt fine next day. Last night I went out with friends and had wine. This morning was not so good. But I expected that. I'm not sure if it's sustainable to never drink again but it's probably smart. I'll eat clean the next few days to make sure it's out of my system before trying dairy. Last whole 30 I didn't react badly to dairy, but it may be smart to make sure it's not a sensitive food for me.

My life was terrible after the wine. I couldn't wait to get back into clean eating. Only a few days after I finished the w30, I'm starting to have sugar cravings again. I wanted ice cream. I'm definitely going to need to take the slow roll from now on. Finding that happy medium will be tough, but at least I feel more aware this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. This is rough. I think it has been a couple weeks since my whole 30 and I'm staying away from dairy (mostly), grains and wheat. Except today. I tried French bread made with einkorn flour. Little science experiment I guess. So far I feel okay, no drastic symptoms like I normally see with modern wheat. Maybe Mr. Wheat Belly really is onto something.

Other than that I'm paying close attention to cravings. I'm going out to eat more and I know there is soybean and corn oil as well as added sugar in my food. It makes a difference in how I feel. I'm just struggling to find menu items that aren't bland while also making me feel okay. Wine and ice cream are my weaknesses, so I made rules about how often I can have them. I just can't think of a better way to deal with it than that. I'm just trying not to get sucked back into my old ways.

Knowing which foods are FWOB for me is key to success. The bread I made didn't cause any real symptoms like modern wheat but it is still FWOB. So I'm not going to even bother. My weight is staying consistent and I'm happy about that. Also, as long as I eat mostly W30, my workouts are great. I can only hope now that I can maintain this lifestyle for the rest of my life. I never want to have to take medication or become disabled and it starts with food.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what stage I'm in now? I'm an annoying born again who found the food Jesus and I have to tell everyone they need to see the light as well. Why doesn't everyone understand they are poisoning themselves with chemical garbage? Can't they see how much healthier I am? Why is everyone eating chips and complaining they can't stop? Why did you start? So soon I have almost forgotten what it's like to be that person. I relied on food for comfort and security and not nutrition. I ate because I was bored, stressed, happy, sad. I'm free now and I want everyone else to be free. If not for you, do it for me so people will start opening up more Paleo restaurants. ;)

I am right there with you. I'm proud of myself for staying away from all Halloween treats but tut-tut-ing the folks who repeatedly dip into the giant bowl of leftover candy at the office. I'm annoyed with myself for being annoying. Lol! Sounds like you're doing great riding your own bike. And yes, yes, yes to more Paleo restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what gives me the whole 30 dreams. I miss them. I dream sometimes, but it's not the same. I think I slept great and now I sleep okay. I am assuming it's the added sugar that finds its way into my life. I say I don't mind because it's somehow part of my trying to be normal. Finding a complete meal at a restaurant with zero added sugar is like finding a needle in a haystack. I am riding my own bike as they say but I feel like I still have training wheels. Maybe no sugar for a week and I'll see if I sleep better. Sorry for the scatter-brained rant.

• 2 weeks later...

The holiday season is a little rough, I'm not going to lie. I haven't forgotten all the things I learned, I've just been a bit too lax I would say. I have a friend who wants to do a W30 the end of January and I'm on board. But I am not sure I want to wait that long either. I read an article by Melissa that talks about whole 7 & whole 14. Maybe I can just eat this way until Christmas. That way I won't feel restricted during the season and not feel bloated and uncomfortable. It's a good plan on paper, now for the execution. Also, sugar cravings are back, I didn't miss them.

I just bought Well Fed and Well Fed 2. Why do I feel I've done my whole 30 backwards. These recipes all look amazing. Most cookbooks I breeze through and pick 2 or 3 I like. I don't even know where to start in these, I want it all. Also, the way she talks about planning is genius. I would pre-cook on Sunday but her way is just simply better. The hot plate concept is great. I've been off sugar for a few days and am sleeping very well. I think once Christmas rolls around I'll be more mindful of how sweets ruin my week and make better choices than I did at thanksgiving.

• 1 month later...

I still have issues craving corn chips and chocolate. I am gearing up for another whole30 on February 8. I finally got through to my fiance and he's going to do it with me (if not entirely for him, to be more supportive for me). Originally I wanted to do it to be supportive to a couple we are friends with. They saw my results and decided to give it a try. So now it's the four of us which makes it easier (hopefully).

Even if I never completely win the battle against sugar, I have to admit this program changed my life for the good as I know it has for many others on this forum. Additionally I started doing bootcamp classes at a local crossfit box six months ago. The combination of eating clean and high intensity interval training has transformed my body into something I didn't know was even possible. I'm getting married in eight months and I'm looking forward to looking and feeling good. I'm more than convinced a Paleo lifestyle is for me. I really hope the movement gains even more momentum.

• 1 month later...

I'm half way through my third whole30, my fiance is shrinking on a daily basis. I don't know what he'll do once it's over. I decided no more commercial corn chips, that addiction turned ugly fast. I concluded I can't have chips unless I make them myself. Considering that would be a labor intensive process, I assume I won't even bother. I'm pleased by how well I have been planning and prepping food. There is always protien and vegetables in the fridge ready to be a meal at anytime. But I'm surprised by how much I crave alcohol. After the 30 days, maybe it's time to quit for good. I have 2 other couples doing it with us and everyone is staying strong and loving it. Well sometimes they hate it, lol. Third time and I'm still learning.

• 3 months later...

I'm back into another one. I think this is number four? I forget. Either way I've been craving chocolate, corn chips and wine. I feel like everytime I gave into the craving I only wanted more. Sounds like a drug addiction right? Yeah, I thought so too. I like my current eating habits but I do feel it's beneficial to do that every once in a while reset. It's day two and I'm alert and not bloated whatsoever. I miss the structure. I miss the rules. And if I was a betting woman, I'd say I'm about to start missing the alcohol. Oh well, grab your mocktail and cheers!

Chiming in on your posts, because this sound exactly like my struggles after I finish a Whole30. Currently on my fourth one, Day 17, and have been stressed about maintenance after Day 30 since the beginning. I'm almost hoping for a terrible reintroduction so I have a reason to never eat some of the things again (like corn chips! I'm with you on loving those salty things!). Thanks for your honesty and good luck!

Thanks, and good luck to you. Day 11 coming to a close here and I purchased 3 bottles of wine. I can only hope my fiance doesn't drink them all before I'm done. I try to rationalize why I can stop and just have a drink here and there and then I realize I can't because I'm trying to rationalize. So 19 days to go then. On the bright side, I get tiger blood almost immediately after starting a W30 and I'm feeling just awesome.

Archived