Coconut Milk

weeyin13

Hi I'm just home from the supermarket and the only coconut milk I an find had these ingredients. Is it compliant?

Coconut Extract 75%

Water

Emulsifier (Polysirbate 60)

Stabilisers (guar gum, xanthan gum, sodium)

Carboxy Methyl Cellulose

Thanks

I love it in scrambled eggs or omelettes and in coffee.  And I was worried about the Guar gum at first too ^,^

If you can do some shopping around   "A Taste of Thai" coconut milk is a first pressing and only contains Coconut, water, and guar gum and stays pretty liquid in the fridge.    

• 1 month later...

I think some people have ordered compliant cartons online, but they're harder to find than compliant cans. Look out for additives, particularly sulfites and carrageenan. Guar gum (often found in cans) is OK.

If you're worried about opening a can and having it go bad before you can use it, I'll open a can, use what I need and freeze the rest in 1tbsp portions in ice trays, then pop the frozen cubes in a ziploc bag. I haven't tried this for the purposes of adding to coffee (I drink mine black), but for soups or that sort of thing, it works great.

Thanks. I just realized today that the coconut cream I bought had some nasty additives, same with the Silk Almond milk, it said: "cane sugar'. And also egg beaters, which I though would be nice to make a white omelet, but found out after reading for hours through this forum that all these things I bought are bad, and just not going to help me have a 100% successful whole 30. I am glad it is day 1 of my whole 30, so I can start on Sunday or Monday, after I've got rid of the things I bought :/ I spent money stupidily, and I am not planning to do it again, so I am going to stick to veggies, protein, and little fruit... no canned, carton, difficult labels shit.

Frozen coconut works just fine in coffee too, it just lowers the temperature :)

Making your own nut milk is easier than it looks

http://detoxinista.com/2010/11/dont-wait-another-minute/

If you like to keep things super easy (or you don't have a nut bag), skip the nut bag and cope with the lumps in the bottom :)

The store bought nut milks generally have carrageenan in them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Can I eat oatmeal with cocnut milk and water along other things for breakfast? I have been craving oatmeal. 

Thanks

No. Oatmeal is not allowed on Whole30 since oats are grains and no grains are allowed.  

If you haven't already, please review the Whole30 rules and the Can I Have list for more about what is and isn't allowed on the program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I will be starting on Jan 1 and am new to the program but have been paleo off and on - mostly on, for a while. I have some food allergies, including guar gum. I have found that Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk, which contains just coconut milk and water, works best for my gut. I do add some coconut oil to it. Is this ok? Thanks.

Archived