Not sure if this is a rough patch or a success.....?

I completed my whole30 mid September, and have been trying to remain as compliant as possible ever since. Thus far, I've had wine and a couple of squares of chocolate.  I am 42,  5'7" and lost 5llbs during my whole30 to bring me to 140lbs, which I think is kinda okay for my height. I was greatly troubled by migraines and sore heads but these have just about completely disappeared since about the 3rd week of the whole 30. I am absolutely delighted to have this new lease of life.

Anyway, a great revelation to me has been cooking (I know, right?). My favourite veg dish is a mixture of carrots, parsnips and beetroot, roasted in avacado oil for around 40 minutes. I cook a big batch on Sunday and this sees me through a good part of the week. However, I think I am beginning to crave the taste of the vegetables.... :-/ Is this just going back to my bad habits of using food for comfort? I'm not eating them between meals, but they taste so good. Should I stop eating these?

I don't think so. I think food is joy and I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying your food. Now if you were eating this everday and not eating anything else that could be a problem. Don't add this guilt to your life you don't need it. I love roasted veggies, I would eat them more if I didn't have to prep them.

• Moderators

Are you afraid they're awakening your sugar dragon? I think as long as you're rounding them out with at least a palm-sized amount of protein, you should be fine!

I find that I go stretches of time enjoying the same dish but eventually my enthusiasm wanes and I move on to a new recipe. That might happen for you, too. I say enjoy what you enjoy if it's healthy and makes you feel good!

Thank you.

I'm afraid that I'm eating too many starchy veg although I also eat a lot of broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower. I never eat the vegetables on their own, always with protein. Another worry would be the amount of fat (oil) I'm consuming.

I think it's because they taste so good I feel guilty? I know that sounds crazy :-/

I am reminded of an older post I read on Whole30 recently about fruits and vegetables we enjoy: http://whole30.com/?s=carrot+crazy+train

I think it's a wonderful thing if you start to crave the taste of your roasted vegetables as opposed to many of the foods without brakes that can be a huge, huge problem.  Do you have the recipe handy?  I need more vegetable variety!  How much avocado oil are you using?  :-)

Last, I read that nutrients are better absorbed when you enjoy your food.  I don't have the link here to back that up, but I'll look around for it. 

Eating is SUPPOSED to be an enjoyable experience.  Don't over think it.  Enjoy it.  As Tina mentions above as long this isn't the only  thing you are eating it's good to go.  As for fats - again don't worry about it too much.  As long as you aren't eating fats by the large spoonful or tubful I won't worry about it too much.

It's all a bit arbitrary, but I usually chop three large carrots, two parsnips and three fresh beetroot, put a swirl of oil into the bottom of a very large bowl. Then I use my fingers to mix in the vegetables with the oil. I then season with salt and pepper and put into the oven at 200degrees celcius for around 45 minutes......delicious!!

You're fine. Here in Whole30 land, we get excited when people love the taste of the food we eat. :wub:

I had a similar moment the other day - I was eating roast beef, roasted potatoes, and mayo - and I had to remind myself several times that this was a compliant meal. We're so attuned to the popular mindset that anything healthy is tasteless, that we assume that eating tasty food means we're eating something bad for us. Not true!

Eat up and Whole30 on!

Susanrenee,

I've had the same experience this summer with tomatoes and cucumbers from our vegetable patch.

I had sliced tomatoes and cucumbers with homemade olive oil mayo and salt and freshly ground pepper almost everyday from early July through last week!

I never got tired of it.  We'll be putting the garden to bed soon, which is always a moment of relief coupled with melancholy!!  Anyway, onward to greens and squash, I guess!  Will be trying your roasted roots as soon as I see some winter beets showing up at our farmers market!

Archived