Digestive issues in 2nd & 3rd week

TMI alert - I am going to talk about poop.

Background: I have IBS and had my gallbladder removed seven years ago. I went paleo back in January for about a month (though I was eating dairy) and I felt great. So great that my gastroenterologist felt that there was no need for me to continue seeing him and to just keep doing what I had been doing. Then I got brave and started eating rice, mostly in sushi. NBD. Then I slipped with bread. Then cookies. And you can guess the rest. Fast forward to the end of July when I started my Whole 30.

I felt pretty good after the first two days and my bloating went down considerably. Now I feel like I am somewhat bloated again, and I have been having diarrhea every day. I have not had a satisfactory bowel movement in 2 weeks. If it's not diarrhea, it's pasty and uncomfortable. This week I started getting stomachaches after dinner. What gives? What should I do?

I bought ISWF but it's going to take me a while to finish reading it because my kids do. not. sleep. :P

Do you take anything to help you break down fat? I also don't have a gallbladder, and I didn't think much of it until about a month ago when I started concentrating on getting enough fat. Wowzers! Things were pretty unhappy in that department. Then I remembered that those of us without GB's (or with limited function) don't get enough of the chemicals that help us break down and process fats. So, they just go roaring through our digestive tract and... you get the point.

If you're not taking a supplement with something like Ox Bile in it, I would recommend that straight away. I was shocked at the difference it made.

No, I don't take anything right now. I had actually looked at bile supplements a few years ago but decided against it because I read that a) it can cause diarrhea, and B) it's sourced by puncturing the animal's gallbladder with a long needle and is extremely painful (though I had read about pandas?). Not really sure where I got that from. I guess I'll have to look into how ox bile is sourced and give it a whirl.

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with this too. I haven't been taking an enzyme (although I have them and will start again), but my issues start when I wake up in the morning...before I have eaten. I haven't been good at taking my probiotic and I wonder if that is the issue. Do either of you take probiotics?

Archived