Second Whole 30 October 6 start

Libberation

Ok here goes. I'm committing to this log, no matter how difficult it gets this month. 

The first day is already off to a bit of a rocky start because I stayed at a friend's house last night and was not at home for breakfast. I didn't plan well enough and it was getting later and later with no breakfast in sight (besides some sugary muffins on her counter) so I made do with what I had there since I didn't want to wait any longer before eating. So breakfast is technically all compliant food, but ugh its not a good meal. 

Monday 10/6

1. blueberries, strawberries, banana, almond butter

2. tuna salad (homemade mayo, scallions, celery, carrot), romaine lettuce

3. mexican ground beef (onion, bell pepper, jalapeño), romaine, avocado slices

4. prosciutto, jicama, homemade mayo

I'm off to the grocery store now!  

DAY 1 recap:

Oh wow the late night sugar dragon is kicking in. I didn't realize how quickly I had gotten into the habit of late night apple w nut butter snacking and it is CALLING ME from the kitchen! But I'm not actually hungry (fish and broccoli trick!), it is just my habit to eat sugar and fat at this time. So here I go settling in with some tea and netflix, powering down for the night saying BYYYYEEEEE to that sugar dragon. Also gotta turn off this computer soon. ;)

Considering my breakfast was less than optimal, I did pretty well with meals today. I didn't need a 4th meal since I didn't have a show tonight, but I did eat some almonds with dinner which I hadn't planned on. Other than the sugar dragon, I feel pretty great. I prepped a couple of meals ahead of time to have throughout the week which was time consuming in the short term, but time saving in the long run. 

It feels good to be taking care of myself. I must remember this when I want to kill all things and when everyone else is drinking wine and eating pizza after the show. Lol. 

I hope all you second timers out there are crushing it!

Day 2 plan

Woke up pretty sleepy today, really didn't want to get out of bed, so I'm taking it easy today before heading into work. I was going to go to a Pure Barre class this afternoon, but opted for 30 minutes of Barre3 online at home instead because its gentler and really just needed to get my body moving, didn't need to go hard today. 

1. three eggs, sautéed kale, 1/2 avocado

2. poached chicken breast, parsnip/carrot/cauliflower puree (from nom nom paleo), mushroom gravy (also nom nom)

3. jicama slices, prosciutto, olives

4. mexican ground beef lettuce wraps, 1/2 avocado, tomatoes

Woo!

DAY 2 recap:

I have so much buzzing energy tonight I'm worried I won't be able to sleep! Really still wanting to eat sugar after dinner and all night long. I had a few macadamia nuts after I finished my lettuce wraps, but I think I was just actually still hungry and probably should have just eaten more beef. Anyway, gonna try and turn out the lights and shut it down for the night!

DAY 3:

Really tired today. Ugh. Terrible time getting to sleep last night, worse than usual. I ended up taking 1/4 of an Ambien because by 3am my mind was still racing. I would really like to be able to sleep naturally at night and I'm hoping that this Whole30 will help me get my hormones back on track so that I don't rely on drugs as often. 

So I'm feeling tired and sluggish but my plan is to do a  pure barre class at some point today. I kind of want to do it early in the day just to get it out of the way, but that will mess up my meals a little bit. I'm still a little confused about how to fit pre and post w/o meals into my meal plan and what works best for me. But here's the plan for the day:

1. hardboiled eggs, homemade mayo, carrot/cauliflower puree, 2 tangerines

2. tuna salad w homemade mayo, romaine lettuce, roasted delicata squash

3. prosciutto, jicama, olives

4. mexican beef lettuce wraps, avocado, tomatoes

DAY 4

Woke up with a lot of anxiety today. But I spent the day running errands with friends and that really helped! Did a pilates semi-private and my body feels great having a day of active recovery.

The sugar dragon rages on. I want nuts and fruit after EVERY MEAL and between every meal. Maybe I'm not eating enough in my meals? I felt hungry after breakfast and lunch today but felt like my portions were big so I don't know. I might need to eat more than usual right now since I do have my period this week and I'm singing and dancing 8 shows/week. 

1. 3 eggs over easy, roasted kale, 1/2 avocado

2. 1/3 lb mexican ground beef lettuce wraps, 1 hardboiled egg, mayo

3. celery w/sunbutter, beef jerky, 2 tangerines

4. poached chicken breast, cauliflower/carrot/parsnip mash, mushroom gravy

DAY 5

1. 3 egg omelette with onions, bell peppers, 1/2 avocado, tomato, roasted kale
2. Hardboiled egg, beef jerky (Paleo Paks), sweet potato w homemade mayo, celery w sunflower butter
3. 2 tangerines, celery sticks w sunbutter, hardboiled egg, trailmix (compliant)

DAY 6

1. 2 eggs, sautéed kale, celery sticks, sunflower seed butter, 3 small tangerines
2. Chicken breast, homemade Caesar salad, jicama, 2 tangerines, 1 cup steamed sweet potato w coconut butter
3. Celery sticks and carrots w sunflower seed butter, 3 strips US Wellness bacon, 2 oz prosciutto (compliant)

You're sticking to it!  Once we get through this first week, things get easier, and so far, you're on top of it.  I am too.  I've been thankful for no sugar dragon just yet, but I think that's because I've been sick.  Singing and dancing in 8 shows?  What do you do?

You're sticking to it!  Once we get through this first week, things get easier, and so far, you're on top of it.  I am too.  I've been thankful for no sugar dragon just yet, but I think that's because I've been sick.  Singing and dancing in 8 shows?  What do you do?

I'm an actor and I'm in a musical in San Diego right now. Its super fun and I imagine once I become fat adapted again it will make the show much easier, but right now at the end of the first week I am dragging! Feeling pretty sluggish and hungry all the time. I haven't really figured out how to time my meals yet. I think I need 4 meals but its hard to fit them in so then meal 2 and 3 end up being really big and I feel overly full afterwards. 

Anyway, that's great that you're not feeling the sugar dragon! Do you have a food log? I'd love to check it out. Keep up the great work!

DAY 7

I'm noticing a lot of nuts and nut butters sneaking into my food. Its such an easy tasty source of calories but I have to be honest that it is very easy for me to overeat nuts. So I'm going to limit myself to only having nut butter part of my nut butter-celery stick post-show snack (or 4th meal). 

I have two shows today which is always tough because I'm so hungry but I can't eat too much too close to show time because it will make me sluggish and gassy. I'm really struggling with how to schedule meals. But its only been a week so I'm just going to focus on it as a goal for the next week. 

1. 2 eggs, roasted kale, tomato/avocado salad

2. flank steak, 1/2 avocado, cauliflower/carrot/parsnip puree (nom nom), mushroom gravy (nom nom), 2 tangerines

3. hardboiled egg, olives, 2 tangerines

4. flank steak, 1/2 avocado, carrots

DAY 8

1. 3 eggs scrambled w onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, 1/2 avocado 1 tbsp homemade mayo

2. carrots and celery sticks, hard boiled egg, 1 oz borselino sausage, 3 tangerines, 1/2 cup sprouted trail mix

3. 2 salmon burgers, red cabbage salad w creamy tangy dressing (mayo + lemon + coconut vinegar + salt), pumpkin seeds

Yum on your creamy tangy dressing for your salmon burgers.  If I remember that, I'm going to try it out sometime this week.  It must be hard working meals around your work schedule.  I know that I really like my routines and being home when I try eating well.  It helps stabilize me and keeps me on track.  It's hard to deal with life and stay focused on the good foods.  Kudos to you for working around those challenges.  One thing I thought of reading your post was that I found I felt WAY better after eating if I took a couple digestive enzymes.  They seem to just help me process the food better and so I didn't feel heavy in my gut or sluggish or gassy.  I am logging my meals under "Starting Anew".  Nothing too exciting - my goal is to keep lots of food in the fridge so I have constant leftovers to draw on.  That and hard boiled eggs save me from dipping mindlessly into the almonds!

Archived