Liver (and other animal bits I never thought I'd eat)

dripdripsplat

So I'm finally feeling brave enough to delve into the world of offal (there should probably be an award for this... And another one when I get the rest of my family on board). My question is this:

Finances are tight and, while I can afford to buy offal from the local grocery store, I cannot afford to take a trip to Whole Foods and buy grass-fed offal. Is this an issue? Or do the positives of including offal in my diet outweigh the negatives of it (temporarily, at least) coming from a conventional store and/or animal?

• Moderators

When I bought liver from a regular grocery store, I paid more to buy calves liver and not mature cow liver on the theory that calves would not have had time to store as many toxins as a grown cow. Actually, I ate mature, conventional cow liver for a bit. It is probably okay, but I felt better spending a little more for the calves liver. 

By the way, the calves are going to be killed no matter what. Only a few bulls are needed to service dairy herds, so most male calves are harvested relatively soon to avoid the cost of feeding them. 

Thanks Tom and Deb. I ended up driving out to WF, only to find out that our WF isn't corporate... Meaning they essentially just franchise the name, and don't even do butchering on site (which is pretty lame imo). The next closest is two towns away, so that won't be happening. Seems like I'm stuck with conventional offal for the time being. There's a local butcher that breaks down game for hunters... What do you guys think about propositioning them for their offal? A little iffy maybe?

I think that's a GREAT idea to talk to your local butchers about the game offal. 

Not iffy at all. I know someone whose husband hunts game all the time and cooks with the offal. 

I was talking to the butchers at WF about beef fat to make tallow and they gave me some FOR FREE.

So, you never know. 

Archived