Longhorn Steakhouse...found something compliant! It's a miracle!

kittygogo

Well, Saturday was day 14 for me and found myself stuck going to the Longhorn Steakhouse. I brought my own dressing for tossed salad (olive oil/red wine vinegar, dill, garlic powder, pepper) and figured that's what I'd be stuck with because there was nothing else on the menu that would be compliant. I figured I could eat some protein when I got home. After looking at the menu, I saw a ribeye steak on their "under 550 menu". I asked the waitress about how it was cooked, etc and she brought me over a binder with all the ingredients and potential allergens (peanuts, soy, etc) that is in all their food. Found out that the ribeye steak (6 oz) on the Under 550 menu ONLY had no soy in it or anything else that was non compliant. So I got the steak (broiled plain, no spices, sauces, concoctions, etc), plain steamed broccoli and a plain baked potato. Not too shabby for eating out...thankfully I never eat out but this saved me. What's strange is that the same ribeye steak is under another meal category other than the "Under 550" selection, but that one has soy because of the way they cook it. Weird. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case this could be useful to someone. :)

I saw this earlier tonight, so I decided to hit up Longhorn for dinner and I found out two interesting things.

#1, the soy in most of the steaks comes from a soy oil based glaze they add after cooking (apparently they call it "love sauce"). So you can actually get any steak on the menu soy-free by asking them to omit the sauce. It isn't included on the Under 500 ones because it adds extra calories.

#2, there is definitely something non-compliant in the steak seasoning. I don't know why that totally skipped my mind (I guess since I didn't see any checkboxes on the allergen menu), since I'm usually uber-careful with everything else--I didn't even use their oil on my salad in case it was a blend! About a half an hour after eating my throat started itching like crazy and I'm kind of assuming it was due to something corn-based in the seasoning, probably maltodextrin or something similar. There was probably sugar in it too.

10 days in, but it looks like I'll be starting over tomorrow. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a pain, but whenever we go to a steak place, I ask for no seasoning, no butter, and please clean the grill before cooking due to food sensitivities. 9 times out of 10, my steak comes out just they way I ask for it. How do I know? Because that 1 time out of 10 that it doesn't, I get nasty stomach cramps, swelling, or some other lovely (not really) reaction. Longhorn and Outback are two of the places that usually comply with my requests, and as far as I know, the cooks aren't cursing me with any extra gross stuff in my dinner as a result  :lol:

• Moderators

Nice work advocating for yourself! I've been to a couple of places where, had I not enlisted the help of the server (and chef) I would not have known that the steak entree was compliant but the steak salad had soy. You really do have to ASK. And as long as you are nice and patient, they really don't mind.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little old, but where did you see the under 550 items on the allergens guide?  I used the following link, and it appears almost everything is non-compliant and I don't see any of the under 550 items listed.  Just curious.

http://media.longhornsteakhouse.com/en_us/pdf/longhorn_allergen_guide.pdf

Thanks,

John

I know this is a little old, but where did you see the under 550 items on the allergens guide?  I used the following link, and it appears almost everything is non-compliant and I don't see any of the under 550 items listed.  Just curious.

http://media.longhornsteakhouse.com/en_us/pdf/longhorn_allergen_guide.pdf

Thanks,

John

John, by Googling Longhorn under 550, I found this: http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/restaurant/LongHorn-Steakhouse

... and this: http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/menu-listing/light-flavorful

It's amazing that some sites have really nice information on not only the nutritional information, but the allergy information which will tell you many of the things we need to know for W30.  I never paid much attention to this as I don't have any food allergies (that I know of, but that may change after my first W30).

Archived