my log the 6th day summary

lelani

I am on day 6, doing great, started with Atkins way back in the 70's and have always eaten paleo before it was a fad.  I am what Atkins calls a "O" carb tolerant person. Through the years I have steadily gained weight and my anxiety is high, pain is cruel etc. Over the last four years I have been strict in my eating due to severe pain and anxiety, have kept cutting carbs etc. Follow Mark Sisson and enjoy his "Grok ON" way.  However, I am not satisfied with my results over the last 40 years and so although I eat well, have a huge garden, hike, ridebike, my horses work hard I managed to get to a whopping 283 lbs.  I am only 5 feet tall, and always annoyed at myself.  Not fair really as I have been this way since I was a child, so get a little ticked at peoples opinion of me, They think all people are fat because they overeat and don't exercise.  Well this is not truly the case.

I have lost 46 lbs over the last 4 years, but my pain is still intense. Found Whole30 and thought hey I only have to cut out maple syrup, rye crisps and butter.  I have already eliminated everything else and this gives me more variety.  I have always counted carbs not calories and I know if I keep under 30 carbs a day I will maintain my weight, under 20 I will loose.  No dairy, Except for butter, didn't like ghee much, No wheat, no sugars, No problem.

This is day 6 for me, I had a very nasty cleanse on day 4.  My body literally attacked me, worst pain every, couldn't walk, move, play my mandolin anything, severe depression, diareaha, (can't spell)  etc.  Got through it though.

Pain is far less today, still depressed but am doing well.  Have added back an apple to my diet which is wonderful, from my garden

Can't wait to see my pain level at the end of 30 days, sure hope it is gone.  It is all about pain for me.  Weight of course is an added bonus but quality of life for me is the most important.  Also anxiety and worry, sure would be nice for that to be gone too.

Guest WholeStanley

I don't know whether you posted for feedback but I was wondering if you would be happy to post some examples of what you are eating each day for people to give feedback? Are you still trying to avoid carbs on the whole30? I'm concerned this may be holding you back as you try to reach your goal of reducing your anxiety and worry - for me I need starchy veg, such as squash, sweet potato, parsnips or beetroot to help keep my mood even and stop me feeling to anxious

Yes I thought of this, and is one reason for trying the whole30.  Although I restrict what I call nasty carbs, white pot, rice etc.  Can't have em on whole 30 any way.  I have added back an apple more spaghetti squash, beet, carrots to see if that will help.  thank you for your response I appreciate it.  I am having trouble moving around in this website though, ha getting there.

Yesterday I had... Breakfast, 3 egg omelette, filling, sautéed in cocoanut oil, spaghetti squash, onion, puff balls (like mushrooms) from my garden, celery, 1 whole big clove of garlic...

Lunch, 3 cooked carrots, Mallow salad, tossed with home made mayo

Dinner.  Salisbury steak, no gravy though, spaghetti squash, apple.

Infusion of mint leaves echanacia,,, I like it ice cold.  

I am from Monte Lake British Columbia, Canada, nice to meet you

I feel your pain... When I first started to eat paleo, my joint pain vanished. I did my first whole 30 in June, which I extended to 59 days which helped my body to get rid of digestive troubles as well. You will get better soon, please keep reporting back here, so we can support you.

Imagine people from France and London speaking with me, What an added bonus to Whole30.  Thank you for your note of encouragement Hutlifr.  I have been eating Paleo for nearly 40 years, however it wasn't enough.  I still ate real butter, rye flour, and honey and maple syrup. Also I would nibble here and there on stuff that would have flour or sugar in it.  Whole30 really makes you aware of those little things doesn't it?

I have had many injuries throughout my life. Basically  from riding horses, (Ha or not riding them as the case may be Ha)  I believe in, " if it hurts do more to loosen things up", but as I age the pain is pretty bad.  I think with Whole30 you are right I will have great success, I can already feel it.  I have no problems eating this way as I have done it for so long and rarely falter.  I would be 800 lbs and probably dead if I ate like other people so it is win win for me. 

Today I feel positive and clean,  that is a good sign I think.  I also worked 16 hrs yesterday (2 jobs) and usually am quite trashed the next day. Sooo. Yaeh.

Yesterday's menu was:

2 fried eggs.....(in cocoanut oil) .6 zucchini sticks fresh

1 pork steak and 3 big yellow tomatoes

sautéed chicken breast,in cocoanut oil,  more tomatoes and a big glass of almond milk when I got home from work

I measure out 1/4 cup of Almonds and soak them, my hubby and I snack on them throughout the day. 

• 1 month later...

I am originally from Switzerland, so when my gastro told me to eliminate dairy from my diet to see if that would help alleviate my pain, I just laughed at his face, saying I was born and bread in the land of milk cows, and dairy was part of my DNA.... Well that was 10 years ago... And I learned to listen to my body in the meantime, and found out that gluten does a number upon my system as well. What I love the best about whole30 is that it changed my taste buds completely. I find traditional cookies or chocolates too sweet to enjoy, and industrial manufactured meat like sausages, pâté, etc too salty. I bake like crazy for others, without even finding myself missing it. So wait and see what whole30 has in store for you. I extended mine to 59 days because my guts needed the extra time.

Archived