What is your go-to quick meal??

laurlew12

I'm on day 23 and I'm starting to repeat a lot of meals and want to spice things up! I love my WellFed and WellFed2 cookbooks but a lot of those recipes take a good amount of time.

I am crazy busy next week with school and work and other life stuff so I was curious: What is your favorite go-to meal? Quick and easy meals!

I make a lot of scramblers with a protein and veggies sauteed in some coconut oil and added spices but I'm running out of ideas!

Pre prepped chicken with smashed avos/guac, any greens, cold (pre roasted) sweet potatoes

Chopped pre cooked pork "tacos" with cilantro, fennel, greens, wrapped in lettuce leaves. 

Spag squash (pre cooked) with sliced chicken, olives, tomatoes and whatever greens are on hand. 

Smoked salmon with apple, fennel, arugula

Watermelon with olives, lemon juice and greens, with any protein

Canned sardines/kippers are great to have on hand. 

I don't eat eggs so always have some kind of cooked protein available. 

I know they aren't nutritionally amazing but I always keep frozen, cooked shrimp on hand, they are great in a pinch with some veggies, and especially with spag squash. 

Doing a big prep cook on Sunday will help you a lot (maybe you already do this).

Do a couple of big proteins, roast up a bunch of veggies and a spag squash and some cauli rice. 

Fish, grated sweet potato and carrot, spinach, all stirred together in a fry pan.

I always have roasted veges in my fridge, tonight they will be served with leftover roast pork and silverbeet, and take less than 10 minutes to get dinner on the table

Pre prepped chicken with smashed avos/guac, any greens, cold (pre roasted) sweet potatoes

Chopped pre cooked pork "tacos" with cilantro, fennel, greens, wrapped in lettuce leaves. 

Spag squash (pre cooked) with sliced chicken, olives, tomatoes and whatever greens are on hand. 

Smoked salmon with apple, fennel, arugula

Watermelon with olives, lemon juice and greens, with any protein

Canned sardines/kippers are great to have on hand. 

I don't eat eggs so always have some kind of cooked protein available. 

I know they aren't nutritionally amazing but I always keep frozen, cooked shrimp on hand, they are great in a pinch with some veggies, and especially with spag squash. 

Doing a big prep cook on Sunday will help you a lot (maybe you already do this).

Do a couple of big proteins, roast up a bunch of veggies and a spag squash and some cauli rice. 

I'll have whatever you're having.   Those are great ideas, I want to make all of them.   Kippers, I like those.   

• Administrators

SB & J burgers from Well Fed 2 w/ garlic roasted baby potatoes

Pork Burger patties w/ sautéed cabbage & green beans (seasoned w/ sesame oil & ginger, garlic, S&P)

Stir fried veggies (literally whatever is in the fridge) and then loose ground meat cooked in separate pan, drained and tossed w/ sunshine sauce (Well Fed 1) and served over the veggies.

Taco meat (my own taco seasoning) over either salad or squash or zoodles

Salad. With cooked chicken, smoked salmon or whatever protein I have. Drizzle on some mayo. Ta-da!

If I know I'm busy I'll use the slow-cooker. Night before: blitz some carrots, celery and onion in the blender. Put in Tupperware in fridge. In morning, sauté them then shove in slowcooker, add raw protein and some bone broth / water and maybe a can of tomatoes, throw in some herbs and turn the cooker on and walk out of the house. Eat many hours later. Then take what's left over, pull out the protein and put it in the fridge for use with another meal (a salad, perhaps?!) and blend the "leftover" veg to use as a soup. Or just freeze the leftovers for another day. Or eat for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, too.

My new favourite last-minute meal is:

1 (10.5 oz) bag of frozen broccoli, steam-sauteed

1/2 an avocado, diced

a serving of protein, diced (yesterday was leftover turkey thigh - delish!)

1-2 slices compliant bacon, crumbled (optional)

salt and lemon juice to taste

Mix it all together and dig in!

• Administrators

I accidentally created something that will be my new go-to as well.  Shred/chop whatever veggies you have and some protein. Sautee until almost all the way cooked.  In a coffee cup or small measuring cup, pour in some coconut milk and whatever seasoning you like and a teensy bit of arrowroot powder and aggressively mix it all together.  Pour it over your frying pan ingredients and simmer until thickened and fragrant.

I used diced onion, green beans and shredded green cabbage with some ground beef and in my coconut milk I used curry powder although I bet taco seasoning, a chili powder/cumin combo or any of the spice mixes from the Well Feds would be good! I served it overtop of some mashed yam.  It was delicious, warm, creamy and was ready in under 10 minutes.

Oooooh, these all sound good.

Ladyshanny, I need to try your sauce idea. Now that fall is coming, I want something a little saucy and creamy. And I have to confess that I am about 70 days into a W?? and... I've never tried coconut milk. I have some that I bought at the beginning of August, when I first started, but I've been afraid to try to do anything with it. Silly, I know. I think you've inspired me to take courage and open that can!

Delaine Ross, I do the cooked protein plus salsa meal frequently, especially at the end of a long day when I am hungry and need to eat NOW. However, that's been happening too often lately, and I think I need to take a good look at my mid-day meal... I am not eating enough, and I know it.

MrsStick, taco beef is my constant companion, and I'll eat it plain, or on potato, or mixed with spinach (fresh or frozen), or with any leftover veggies. Yum.

ann

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Tuna salad: 2 cans of tuna, 1/2 - 1 avocado (depending on size), squirt of compliant mustard, dried shallots.  I mix raisins in too.  Weird, I know.

Curry: Thai Kitchen's red or green curry paste, can of coconut milk, protein + veggies.  We keep TJ chicken tenderloins in the freezer.  They work well.  This is much better with fresh veggies but frozen works too.  

Deli meat (Applegate Roastbeef is one of the only ones near me), dipped in mustard with sliced veggies and some fruit and coconut butter.

I usually roast a kobucha squash each week.  Add some coconut milk and ginger... I think I could live on this :)  

Thai pumpkin soup: 1 can pumpkin (14 oz), 1 can light coconut milk, 2 tbsp Thai curry paste.

• 3 weeks later...

If you know you have a busy week coming up, can you spend some time prepping this weekend? Purchase & prep ingredients for some slow cooker meals? Get a big box of salad & some veggies to make salads (to go with something else, obviously). Make a double batch of chili or soup? 

I'm just starting my Whole30 but I've quickly realized: planning is the only way. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I just blended up onion, garlic, Zuchinni, parsley, carrot and sauté it.

Added ground beef and broke up into little pieces in the pan cooked until brown then added 1 cup of homemade stock and 1 cup do tomato passata and let reduce. Ate it like that.

I make enough mashed sweet potato to last for at least three days with coconut milk. I grill and broil enough steak and chicken for lunch leftovers, which I spice up with some homemade chimichurri sauce. I have a BPA free steam basket for the microwave. I steam all my veggies in it. Carrots, zucchini, spinach, and bell peppers are my favorite. Chicken and cabbage soup, roasted veggies and sweet potatoes and chicken pieces in one pan, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Archived